My first hay making attempt.

MCC

I mow(With a old fashioned, slow, non-ag talk approved, anti-bto) 9ft haybine in the middle of the day, laying the windrow as wide as the machine................lays there over night as is.  Next morning as soon as the top is nice and dry we roll it with a bar rake.   Gets it up off the damp ground, somewhat fluffs it, all in single windrows from the mower, I usually try to rake it outwards................4 or so I come back, roll it the other direction onto warm ground and leave it.  Next morning roll it again on to warm ground in the other direction, late afternoon the rake gets moving and throws things together and usually can run the baler before the evening dew.  Old farts here always told me to help use the sun in conjuction with warm ground, and they always said small windrows were easier to work with than bigger ones to get dry, the way the weather patterns are these days I think they might be right.  So I try to keep single small ones right until the end...................And I got warm bodies to rake, the issue is at the end there is not enough rakes for the warm bodies to keep in front of the baler:rolleyes:  Figure a carted Wheel v rake would help that issue, plus if you can run one side up and use the other side to flip windrows, I then have another rake for the warm bodies to pull.:lol:

Heck, my siblings keep pumping out warm bodies I might go back to idiot bricks.............Between my 2, and my nephews, that is 5 steering wheel holders:lol:

• Haha 1

Growing up nobody even had a Tedder that I knew of here in Central Iowa. See my neighbor has one. I know nothing about them other than they stir up the hay so it will dry faster? 

We always just rolled it with the rake if needed to help it dry and with the new hollland mower conditioner we thought we had it made. We did square bale much by the time I was old enough to help. Dad had the new idea uni so we dry and wet chopped a lot. Dry chop to fill the 2 barns and wet to fill the silo or bunker.

I have a vicon? V rake now and the arms can be flipped to make maybe 4 small winrows to dry faster.  The owners manual for the new idea cutditioner I still have talked about using it to rake or flip windows too. Tho I would think would lose a bunch more leaves on Alfalfa.

Kinda feel like hay dried a bit better with the cutditioner than it does from the NH 411. 🤷‍♂️

We tedded growing up,  I thought it was a waste with grass..............Set the baffle down in the mower and let it lay it wide worked just as good with the stubble helping to keep it up off the ground.  Alfalfa was different, but not baling any of that these days though.

I was always told those NI cut-ditioners worked well if someone knew how to set them up for what you were doing.................The few around me who had them failed on that end.  There is a original NI video on U-tube  about the cut-ditioner that was neat to watch.  Sure wish more of that stuff got posted on there.  Seems most of the old videos are from the main line companys, not the short lines, like NI, Gehl, etc....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I mow(With a old fashioned, slow, non-ag talk approved, anti-bto) 9ft haybine in the middle of the day, laying the windrow as wide as the machine................lays there over night as is.  Next morning as soon as the top is nice and dry we roll it with a bar rake.   Gets it up off the damp ground, somewhat fluffs it, all in single windrows from the mower, I usually try to rake it outwards................4 or so I come back, roll it the other direction onto warm ground and leave it.  Next morning roll it again on to warm ground in the other direction, late afternoon the rake gets moving and throws things together and usually can run the baler before the evening dew.  Old farts here always told me to help use the sun in conjuction with warm ground, and they always said small windrows were easier to work with than bigger ones to get dry, the way the weather patterns are these days I think they might be right.  So I try to keep single small ones right until the end...................And I got warm bodies to rake, the issue is at the end there is not enough rakes for the warm bodies to keep in front of the baler:rolleyes:  Figure a carted Wheel v rake would help that issue, plus if you can run one side up and use the other side to flip windrows, I then have another rake for the warm bodies to pull.:lol:

Heck, my siblings keep pumping out warm bodies I might go back to idiot bricks.............Between my 2, and my nephews, that is 5 steering wheel holders:lol:

Dad would have said you were losing a lot of leaves and feed value with all that raking. I know depending on conditions a person has to do what they have to do. Dad always preached raking nice and slow as to keep the leaves.

My rake now I can pull a pin at the back so only one wing is hooked to cyl and put in a pin at the front to keep unhooked wing parked. It works pretty good to roll 1 winrow at a time. It just seems so much slower after getting used to doing 2 at once. You can cover a lot of ground with a v throwing 2 into 1.

I cut with a disc mower followed immediately with the tedder to spread it all out. If it’s really thick I may run the tedder through it a second time the next day with a low PTO speed and higher ground speed. That doesn’t spread it out as much and helps with leaf loss. Leave it like that for it to dry and then rake it into windrows for baling. I can usually make 3 day grass/clover hay using this method. I have to work around my day job schedule so most of my haymaking activities are in the afternoon or evening. We normally get heavy dew every night so everything is wet until late morning and starts getting damp again an hour or so before sunset. 

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Dad would have said you were losing a lot of leaves and feed value with all that raking.

That would be true, but don't worry about that these days with grass hay..........................Alfalfa would be a totally different animal.  With that said, growing up we had alfalfa on all the low ground, and still raked it alot, but would rake that with the dew, not after it dried.  I don't miss that, grass is really forgiving and easier work with.  

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 6:53 AM, DHF said:

when i was learning to rake, i was maybe 10, it was on an H i remember the neighbor riding on the tractor and every now and then smacking me in back of my head and saying keep the windows stright god---n it. now 65 years later and neighbor dead i still hear his voice in my ear, dosen't help that i'm raking with a super H .

pete

HA-HA , Dad rode with me about one round teaching me to rake with the '39 H. Back in those days we grew a clover, orchard grass, and something else mix for hay.  The old Oliver sickle mower still had a little life left, I remember mowing with the H a couple times and once with the Super M-TA in 1964, last year we had the M-TA.

We made the same change to a Super H in 1968, I ran the '39 H wide open in 4th gear, 5 mph, ran the Super H about 1300 - 1400 rpm, about 5 mph, force of habit.  We put a tach/hour meter off a FARMALL 300/350 on the Super H.  I got way too used to having one on the 450, we put 250 hours a year on the SH, Dad planted corn and beans with it, I did most everything else we used it for.

We had an old New Idea high wheel hay rake too, think it was built as a horse drawn rake, it had a hitch on the back, could pull our slightly newer David Bradley rake behind it but really had to be careful on turns. Only used the NI & D-B when raking straw, used the D-B by itself on hay.  I used to rake MONSTER windrows when we baled with the IH 55-T baler. Last baling Dad and I did used an IH #37 baler, teeny-tiny bales compared to the 55-T. The #55 had the C-113 IH engine on it, plenty of power, the #37 was pto, Super H pulled the baler & rack fine.

when i was learning to rake, i was maybe 10, it was on an H i remember the neighbor riding on the tractor and every now and then smacking me in back of my head and saying keep the windows stright god---n it. now 65 years later and neighbor dead i still hear his voice in my ear, dosen't help that i'm raking with a super H .

pete

HA-HA , Dad rode with me about one round teaching me to rake with the '39 H. Back in those days we grew a clover, orchard grass, and something else mix for hay.  The old Oliver sickle mower still had a little life left, I remember mowing with the H a couple times and once with the Super M-TA in 1964, last year we had the M-TA.

We made the same change to a Super H in 1968, I ran the '39 H wide open in 4th gear, 5 mph, ran the Super H about 1300 - 1400 rpm, about 5 mph, force of habit.  We put a tach/hour meter off a FARMALL 300/350 on the Super H.  I got way too used to having one on the 450, we put 250 hours a year on the SH, Dad planted corn and beans with it, I did most everything else we used it for.

We had an old New Idea high wheel hay rake too, think it was built as a horse drawn rake, it had a hitch on the back, could pull our slightly newer David Bradley rake behind it but really had to be careful on turns. Only used the NI & D-B when raking straw, used the D-B by itself on hay.  I used to rake MONSTER windrows when we baled with the IH 55-T baler. Last baling Dad and I did used an IH #37 baler, teeny-tiny bales compared to the 55-T. The #55 had the C-113 IH engine on it, plenty of power, the #37 was pto, Super H pulled the baler & rack fine.

pete

Most everyone round here a plain mower and a Tedder. I have a mower conditioner and separate conditioner.

If my neighbors would use a conditioner they wouldn't have to Tedder so much in the spring.

Thx-Ace 

Rode around a lot with my grandfather on a Super M with a rake almost identical to the OP.  Two things I never will forget about it....1) Don't rake too fast, you'll lose the leaves.  2) Always rake "heads first"...same travel direction as the mower, never the opposite direction as the mower (Butts first), or you won't do a good job picking it all up.     Mowing it right with the sickle mower was just as important as raking it right due to the "heads first" mindset.

I don't know how much it mattered, and the rake we were using was so worn out by then...who knows......

Quit making our own hay about the time I would have been trusted to rake it by myself, so I never got to test any of the theories myself....

On 8/16/2021 at 3:24 PM, TP from Central PA said:

Hmmm, interesting................I was told, "If you can get it raked, we surely can pick it up:unsure:?????"

I have to say, after getting a 855 NH, I sure had to re-learn how to rake...................that thing likes monster windrows, atleast if you don't want to wear a racing harness and drive at a mach II...............Its definitely different from the old Gehl Round balers I grew up with, or small squares.  I had my brother rake for me this spring, and I think he even got sick of raking, we were in grass that wasn't yeilding a whole lot and he had to put a bunch of windrows together in front of the baler and I ended up catching him.  With the weather these days I try to keep the windrows small to get them dry, and rake them together right before the baler, but I am thinking about going to a mid-capacity carted V-rake for next year.  How well do those work only using one side down to roll windrows over?  

They would work great to roll one side over.  I have been using a prquea mid cap 12 wheel rake.  They have a lot of adjustment in them including front opening, rear opening, ground pressure.  Only thing I didn't like is without a kicker wheel you can loose crop that is under the window and not fluffed up or pulled into it by the rake wheels.  Rotary is the direction I want to go but they are so darn expensive and keep going up.  It is going to be hard to justify.

When the ground is warm and dry I like to mow with things laid flat out as wide as they can go.  Ted the next day and then on to raking and baling the following day or 2 days out.

We cut at 2pm last Saturday and baled at 3 the next afternoon last weekend. Tedded 4x.  Haying weather has been so poor here in NY, we have to squeak in what we can when we can.  I learned to rake 33 years ago with the same 1066 that we still run one baler with today.  Same ford 5000 too.  Learned to rake with the 10 as it had a cab and my father didn’t want me walking the rake up the tire on top of me. It pulled the 256 rake just dandy. Still use that take too.  Not much modernization happening around here. 

CD37A068-E41E-483E-AD57-CCE483296677.jpeg

DBCE0D51-652F-4ADC-BF64-137BF54050D3.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Rotary is the direction I want to go but they are so darn expensive and keep going up.  It is going to be hard to justify.

Guys I buy hay from run a older Kuhn twin rotary...............It does a really nice job but they had issues with the drive boxes for a long time.  Ended up putting the housings in my mill and taking some material off where the output gear mates against and machining some different thickness washers for them to get the back lash for the gear set right, was either too tight or too loose with what the factory provided.  Haven't had a issue with it since as far as I know, but for me I like things KISS and between the size to get around(I have all patches from horse farming days) and the added upkeep, its not something that tripped my trigger.  A single would be nice, but your back to the same issue as I have now.

Anyone have a twin hydraulic drive roll bar like a Vermeer?  That trips my fancy, but then limited as to what can run it.................John Deere B won't work:lol: and the employees would revolt, leave, and put up a sign in the field next to the road their uncle is cheap and we quit:lol:

13 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Guys I buy hay from run a older Kuhn twin rotary...............It does a really nice job but they had issues with the drive boxes for a long time.  Ended up putting the housings in my mill and taking some material off where the output gear mates against and machining some different thickness washers for them to get the back lash for the gear set right, was either too tight or too loose with what the factory provided.  Haven't had a issue with it since as far as I know, but for me I like things KISS and between the size to get around(I have all patches from horse farming days) and the added upkeep, its not something that tripped my trigger.  A single would be nice, but your back to the same issue as I have now.

Anyone have a twin hydraulic drive roll bar like a Vermeer?  That trips my fancy, but then limited as to what can run it.................John Deere B won't work:lol: and the employees would revolt, leave, and put up a sign in the field next to the road their uncle is cheap and we quit:lol:

Troy dairy had a twin vermeer or something.

14 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

we also had sears/david bradley rake until 1976 when we got an IH 35, still using it today.  i gave david bradley to neighbor for back up or parts for his when had farm sale another neighbor bought them both and they still sit in his hedge row.

pete