My first hay making attempt.

MCC

Looks great! Hope you & your dad had a good time. I can't rake for nothing. Bought an inverter & am only a little better with it.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I can't rake for nothing

Reminds me of what my Dad always said "I don't rake hay I just bunch it up in a somewhat row. Let the baler guy worry about picking it up."   I guess I could say the same as I just run around making rows.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

Reminds me of what my Dad always said "I don't rake hay I just bunch it up in a somewhat row. Let the baler guy worry about picking it up."   I guess I could say the same as I just run around making rows.

Same here. Then I get to be the poor schmuck that has to bale it. Lol!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Same here. Then I get to be the poor schmuck that has to bale it. Lol!

Mike

That's the same with me so I just rake it like I would bale it..   Seen's to work out good for me.

4 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

That's the same with me so I just rake it like I would bale it..   Seen's to work out good for me.

It works like that here, too. Still waiting to get pulled over in my hay field for what suspiciously looks like drunk driving. Now that I think of it, I bet I could run a round baler straight through those windrows & fill the chamber evenly.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That is awesome! Last year was my first year raking as I saved a IH #9 rake from the fence row. Three point mounted and PTO driven so a little different but its a great rake and makes good windrows 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

It works like that here, too. Still waiting to get pulled over in my hay field for what suspiciously looks like drunk driving. Now that I think of it, I bet I could run a round baler straight through those windrows & fill the chamber evenly.

Mike

X2 Helped a friend out raking and he asked me if I did it or his boy. Told him I did it. He said something about crooked rows told I might of been drunk he laughed and told me yea right you ain't drunk nothing in years and he's right.   

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

X2 Helped a friend out raking and he asked me if I did it or his boy. Told him I did it. He said something about crooked rows told I might of been drunk he laughed and told me yea right you ain't drunk nothing in years and he's right.   

I may have to have a couple cold ones, next time & see if I can do a better job.

Mike

• Haha 3

when i was learning to rake, i was maybe 10, it was on an H i remember the neighbor riding on the tractor and every now and then smacking me in back of my head and saying keep the windows stright god---n it. now 65 years later and neighbor dead i still hear his voice in my ear, dosen't help that i'm raking with a super H .

pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys have it easy. Try a 42 foot dump rake! It was fine when you had a 10 foot sweep head to pick up the windrow. Not so much fun with a 5 foot wide baler pickup. Had to relearn how to rake. The 16 wheel v rake made baling a whole lot more fun. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wes806 said:

Good thing you didn't work for my Dad. He would've had to figure out how to hide the bodies. Very fussy about raking in the early years.

Of course he was baling with an IH 430 with the standard narrow pickup, short tongue, being pulled by a 1066 set for 38" rows with 20.8x38's. The windrows had to be rolled up perfectly or they wouldn't go in the baler.

• Like 1

I've said for years hay making is backwards. You learn how to rake first then later on finally get to run the baler. THATS when you realize everything you've been doing on the rake is all wrong. I haven't ran a side delivery rake in 10 years but I could be an artist with it. I used to love to rake. Now I have a 12 wheel rake that goes 28' wide and I can run about 10mph. I can rake 10 acres on about 20 minutes. Same job used to take me about 3 hours. 

Anyway that's great you are trying your hand at it. 

Hmmm, interesting................I was told, "If you can get it raked, we surely can pick it up:unsure:?????"

I have to say, after getting a 855 NH, I sure had to re-learn how to rake...................that thing likes monster windrows, atleast if you don't want to wear a racing harness and drive at a mach II...............Its definitely different from the old Gehl Round balers I grew up with, or small squares.  I had my brother rake for me this spring, and I think he even got sick of raking, we were in grass that wasn't yeilding a whole lot and he had to put a bunch of windrows together in front of the baler and I ended up catching him.  With the weather these days I try to keep the windrows small to get them dry, and rake them together right before the baler, but I am thinking about going to a mid-capacity carted V-rake for next year.  How well do those work only using one side down to roll windrows over?  

22 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Hmmm, interesting................I was told, "If you can get it raked, we surely can pick it up:unsure:?????"

I have to say, after getting a 855 NH, I sure had to re-learn how to rake...................that thing likes monster windrows, atleast if you don't want to wear a racing harness and drive at a mach II...............Its definitely different from the old Gehl Round balers I grew up with, or small squares.  I had my brother rake for me this spring, and I think he even got sick of raking, we were in grass that wasn't yeilding a whole lot and he had to put a bunch of windrows together in front of the baler and I ended up catching him.  With the weather these days I try to keep the windrows small to get them dry, and rake them together right before the baler, but I am thinking about going to a mid-capacity carted V-rake for next year.  How well do those work only using one side down to roll windrows over?  

They work just fine. Mine is an older hesston v rake. I would consider it mid capacity because the frame is on the inside of the wheels. If I get onto real thick hay it has bunched up under there a few times. I just pick it up and drive forward and set it back down. It's not very often this happens. It adjusts from 18-28'  windrow is fully adjustable from the back. Theres stops that you move in and out real easy to set the width up on the wing cylinders. I think I paid 2k for it. That's about as cheap of a rake as you'll find. I had a 8 wheel tonutti before this and it was a big pos. 

20210727_165303.jpg

I am looking at something like a H&S action rake...............Still need the roll bar to get things dry, was hoping to run it and one side of the v-rake to flip windrows, then when everything is dry, use the v-rake to put things together in a nice big windrow in front of the baler.  

Rotary rake when we got our first eliminated ever needing a tedder. Dried hay twice as fast as our NH 256 did 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Rotary rake when we got our first eliminated ever needing a tedder. Dried hay twice as fast as our NH 256 did 

Nice fluffy windrows! 

https://scontent-msp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/s600x600/238247201_344418154030768_8779554514427739111_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=LtqsOVIjzRsAX8S6iye&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.xx&oh=4cae44232e0e4b6f6dc8bb3b10d7b2d3&oe=61403D10

That’s a rope making machine! Not a rake😂

Spent many hours learning to rake with one of those, because my boss’s wife wrapped up a hundred feet of barbed wire with it😳😂😂

Those old rakes with the teeth being able to be pitched could do alot of things way better than later roll bar rakes.  I still have the Steel Wheel NI rake that one neighbor bought new, shared with another neighbor who later bought it, then we ended up with it.  I actually would have one of the boys raking with it and a Putt-Putt now but the steel wheels would not like acouple miles of road travel with the steel knobs on the tires............With that said, the Hat's probably would not thing twice.

Another interesting thing, they were also designed to be a tedder, and work quite well for that, with the pitchable teeth and a reverse gear with turns the roll bar backwards.  

Either way, those teeth being able to be pitched made them less likely to make a hard rope like newer roll bar rakes.............

Very cool! Inspent some time on a NH rake, its since been replaced with one like @Missouri Mulehas, never run it but covers a lot more territory… not sure a C would be up to the challenge! It is on a ford 5600

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I am looking at something like a H&S action rake...............Still need the roll bar to get things dry, was hoping to run it and one side of the v-rake to flip windrows, then when everything is dry, use the v-rake to put things together in a nice big windrow in front of the baler.  

Maybe your climate is much different but 90% of our hay lays for 2 days as is, then raked with my rake a few hours ahead of the baler. Works great. Using a tedder I can speed up the process by as much as a day if need be