Ohio farmers die in manure pit........

dads706

A similar tragedy happened up here on a farm about 30 years ago. The first one was in the pit, underground, fixing the pump and was overcome. A second went in to rescue him and was overcome as well. I can't remember but I think three or four family members perished that day. Very sad.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

that's a crappy hand to be dealt

could a person wear a gas mask when working around this stuff for protection?

Need an oxygen supply mask. 

Sad sad deal , I don't want to even look at the article. 

• Like 3

Just now, nomorejohndeere said:

that's a crappy hand to be dealt

could a person wear a gas mask when working around this stuff for protection?

I don't know if a gas mask would be enough. Lack of oxygen is the problem, the other gases are heavier and displace all the oxygen. A full respirator would be better.

ventilation is the key. They had an underground collection tank at the farm that collected all of the waste water from the milking parlor. I had to go in there on a few occasions to work on a valve or replace something that was rotted off. I took an old forage blower that we still had around and spun the outlet down and put an elbow on it to blow air into one of the access holes, there were three. After an hour I went in with a helper at the top and the blower still running. Never had an issue but I didn't stay in for long and we only went in if we absolutely had to. The pump could be raised on a track so we always pulled it up to work in it.

1 hour ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I don't know if a gas mask would be enough. Lack of oxygen is the problem, the other gases are heavier and displace all the oxygen. A full respirator would be better.

ventilation is the key. They had an underground collection tank at the farm that collected all of the waste water from the milking parlor. I had to go in there on a few occasions to work on a valve or replace something that was rotted off. I took an old forage blower that we still had around and spun the outlet down and put an elbow on it to blow air into one of the access holes, there were three. After an hour I went in with a helper at the top and the blower still running. Never had an issue but I didn't stay in for long and we only went in if we absolutely had to. The pump could be raised on a track so we always pulled it up to work in it.

That forage blower was a great idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Horrible way to die. Had that happen in E WA years ago bothers went underground to clean a cistern, 1 went in then the second one then the 3rd all died.  Preventable with a simple electronic instrument which would tell them how dangerous the gas level was in the confined space. When cleaning our grain bins before anyone goes inside, door is closed we run the fan for 10 minutes, then 1 person test air before going in and 1 person watching from outside.  2 people inside still have 1 outside. Trained not to go in if a problem arises. Call 911

• Like 2

Very sad, and the poor family,   

Most safety supply houses rent a simple meter, will let you know if there is enough O2. People can also wear a simple fall harness with a rope to the door,  but you usually need some way to pull them out. 

confined space entry is a huge danger and we train for it at work a lot.  They say most of the victims are would be rescuers. Lots of training out there, ask your local fire department 

• Like 3

I have been on the recovery side of the same situation one goes in and goes down rescuer goes in and goes down. A bad situation, its a somber ride back to the hall.

About 30 years ago had a similar situation here. A older man and his two sons and a friend were cleaning out a old crude oil tank. One son and the friend crawled through the hatch and went in the tank and immediately went down because of high concentration of H2S. Second son rushes in to help and also goes down. Old man goes in and goes down too. All 4 are found several hours later when the old man's wife went looking for them. No H2S monitors or air packs anywhere on the site even though it was a known hazard.

15 hours ago, dads706 said:

Anyone have better details than this?

Todd, Greg, and Brad were working on the the manure pump that is put in the pit ( covered concrete pit). They were overcome by the gases and fell in and drowned. Todd and Greg initially fell in, and then their brother Brad unfortunately tried to get them out.

The weather has been extremely humid and hot, with no wind the day the accident happened. Most of the neighborhood believes that contributed them to being overcome. No breeze to help move the noxious gases away.

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Todd, Greg, and Brad were working on the the manure pump that is put in the pit ( covered concrete pit). They were overcome by the gases and fell in and drowned. Todd and Greg initially fell in, and then their brother Brad unfortunately tried to get them out.

The weather has been extremely humid and hot, with no wind the day the accident happened. Most of the neighborhood believes that contributed them to being overcome. No breeze to help move the noxious gases away.

Prayers for the families… 🙏🙏🙏😢

Back when I would help out at a school mates dairy operation, a neighboring farm had an accident similar with a Harveststore silo.

I think in that case CO2 was the culprit.

Farming, Logging and Commercial fishing lead the most dangerous occupations.

Truly sad happening.

Not to make less of that tragedy but there was a farm fatality in WNY within the last day.  87 year old man run over by a feed truck apparently.  A lot can go wrong in a hurry which is a reason I slow myself down around equipment and electricity.