Weed of the week........

dads706

What the he!! is this stuff. Laughs at 2-4-D, Pasture Pro..... Roundup just curls the tips of the leaves. Don't want to bring out the restricted stuff because it is mixed with the wife's flowers. But have to do something as it is spreading like crazy. It started in the wife's Hosta's. It has a blue flower and the leaves are similar to a Hosta so she let it go for a year. Now it is all over and I can't kill the dam* stuff. I think it must spread underground because pulling it doesn't do any good. HELP...!!!!

Weed.thumb.jpg.12e6ba2726b0f11085a4ed8ec7f74df1.jpg

asiatic dayflower

The best time to remove weeds is before their flowering and fructification, otherwise controlling them can be very difficult. After they have flowered and fructified, their seeds can spread very fast, and hence, the weeds should be removed more often and precautions should be taken in advance in the following year.
  1. Mulching: During the seed stage, covering the soil with sawdust, straw or black mulches can effectively inhibit seed germination and the growth of seedlings. In the winter or spring, this method is often used to inhibit the seeds in the soil from germinating. If the weeds have already flowered and fructified, then the method can also be used to prevent more seeds from falling into the soil.
  2. Pulling out: Wear gloves or use tools to remove weeds before their fructification. If the soil is too dry, then water the soil thoroughly to make it softer, which can help to remove the root systems of the weeds. After that, deep tillage can be adopted to remove bits of weed roots left in the ground. This method works particularly well for weeds that are low-growing or in their seedling stages.
  3. Mowing: Mowing weeds before their fructification can effectively control their spread. Especially for annual weeds, frequent mowing can inhibit their growth and fructification, and thus can remove them effectively within the year.
  4. Ploughing: Be sure to plough and pull out all roots of perennial weeds before planting. The roots should be discarded, exposed to the sun for a long time, or buried deep. You can also use the roots to make organic fertilizer and compost the weeds.
  5. Herbicides can be used for effective removal.
  6. When you plant it in a flowerpot: When seeds are mature, move the flowerpot away from other plants, and dispose of its scattered seeds timely to prevent it from spreading. The soil where it has grown cannot be discarded directly. Instead, the soil needs to be buried 0-60 inches deep. Clean the flowerpot thoroughly before it is used for other plants so as to prevent the remaining seeds from re-germinating. Note: When removing weeds, especially those which are toxic, thorny and have allergenic sap, be sure to wear gloves and avoid direct contact with them. When removing weeds during their bloom time, be sure to wear special masks to prevent pollen allergy.

5 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

asiatic

Of course it is.

I wonder if we send that continent as many invasive species as they send here.

You think they're on their Weibo chat, b:tching about all the Bluegrass and maple at their place?

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, KWRB said:

Of course it is.

You think they're on their Weibo chat, b:tching about all the Bluegrass and maple at their place?

Nope. 
This was probably brought here, smuggled here by some botanist because it looked pretty 🤯

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Nope. 
This was probably brought here, smuggled here by some botanist because it looked pretty 🤯

Yes. All joking aside, most of the invasive plants were introduced intentionally by the innocent but ignorant.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KWRB said:

Of course it is.

Hard to beat those masters of disguise at their own game for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I carefully sprayed this stuff because it is mixed with the wife's Hostas. I used brush killer that will kill a Mulberry or Chinese Elm dead in a week. I know it will kill grass and weeds because everywhere I spray a tree, everything dies.   It barely curled the leaves on this stuff.          Now I'm getting pissed!!

Is this meant to be like ( tractor of the week) ? 

well it’s been more then a week and no new  weeds. 

I have this one growing all over the place and don’t have a clue what it is but I get four or five people a week stopping by offering to get rid of it for me. They don’t even want to be paid for their labor . I can’t figure it out . Dam people are getting weird these days. 
EAFF955A-59DD-459D-9745-FD770474EF2B.jpeg.07bed7cbfcfa092fe12c182310fb6b00.jpeg

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

ROUND-UP

It treats Round-up like fertilizer. Gimme more gimme more.      Nope, round-up won't even phase it.

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

four or five people a week stopping by offering to get rid of it for me.

Are these the same 4 or 5 people that stop by and make sure the valve on the anhydrous tank is closed or make sure your fuel barrel doesn't spill on the ground. We have some of those community minded souls in Iowa also. People are just nice all over.

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, dads706 said:

It treats Round-up like fertilizer. Gimme more gimme more.      Nope, round-up won't even phase it.

Maybe you need to hire your neighbor Dean to exterminate it. A couple of his guys have probably breathed enough paint fumes they might be able to kill it by talking to it!

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2021 at 7:49 PM, dads706 said:

What the he!! is this stuff. Laughs at 2-4-D, Pasture Pro..... Roundup just curls the tips of the leaves. Don't want to bring out the restricted stuff because it is mixed with the wife's flowers. But have to do something as it is spreading like crazy. It started in the wife's Hosta's. It has a blue flower and the leaves are similar to a Hosta so she let it go for a year. Now it is all over and I can't kill the dam* stuff. I think it must spread underground because pulling it doesn't do any good. HELP...!!!!

Weed.thumb.jpg.12e6ba2726b0f11085a4ed8ec7f74df1.jpg

Try GlyStar. It's like Round Up but more glypho. It's 42% if I recall right. Haven't found anything resistant to it. Tough enough to wipe out a 15 or so year old boxelder. Took care of that one nasty weed out west that has those thorny seeds that stick in your shoe or foot if you're not looking. Unless it was from a new seed, it never came back.

Mike

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Is this meant to be like ( tractor of the week) ? 

well it’s been more then a week and no new  weeds. 

I have this one growing all over the place and don’t have a clue what it is but I get four or five people a week stopping by offering to get rid of it for me. They don’t even want to be paid for their labor . I can’t figure it out . Dam people are getting weird these days. 
EAFF955A-59DD-459D-9745-FD770474EF2B.jpeg.07bed7cbfcfa092fe12c182310fb6b00.jpeg

You're supposed to use a product called Bong. At least I think that's what it was called. Can't remember....

Mike

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

stopping by offering to get rid of it for me. They don’t even want to be paid for their labor . I can’t figure it out . Dam people are getting weird these days. 

A few years back we had a couple get stopped with a full trunk load. They allowed they should show the nice highway patrol people where they picked it at. It was rather strongly suggested I mow and burn my patch 😀

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

a product called Bong.

For years that product was considered illegal even though it was readily available. Many of the younger farmers were using it to dispose of some variety of weeds. It used to only be purchased late at night on dark street corners. But because it was so widely used, many of the more liberal states have now allowed its use.

• Haha 4

Just now, lorenzo said:

Why can’t you remember?

Remember what??

Mike

• Haha 2

Oh Oh , this thread is giving me the munchies.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, dads706 said:

I carefully sprayed this stuff because it is mixed with the wife's Hostas. I used brush killer that will kill a Mulberry or Chinese Elm dead in a week. I know it will kill grass and weeds because everywhere I spray a tree, everything dies.   It barely curled the leaves on this stuff.          Now I'm getting pissed!!

What herbicide did you use and how long has it been since you sprayed?  Also, what time of day did you spray it?