656 “Correctness” questions

On my late(r) model (1969) 656 diesel, I’ve noticed that the second battery tray is under the right side of the tank:

A08F5230-BFF5-48F9-A837-B6B6136A974A.thumb.jpeg.e1b2432421e53505e5d35b0df1e9a6ac.jpeg

I have another in the shop that I THINK I took off of a 656 (might’ve be a 544D though) that mounted to the left of the seat, partially on the axle:

D5BA86D5-4CFA-4064-9B9B-A41C02A01F22.thumb.jpeg.4c3a78651cba468cc9aa452bb963b357.jpeg

Was there a year or serial break where they changed this or was this for a 544D only or what? Seems like they544 would have used the same thing as the 656 but maybe not..??

My other question is:

When did they change from the lighter weight fast hitch drawbar to the heavier one?

786CE194-DC47-475C-8F15-79B642D21BAA.thumb.jpeg.215884f2afecc806ed6055e0275de19f.jpegBFF47F01-F11C-47C4-9107-4A6EA64CBA60.thumb.jpeg.a4a16bd6303b080c4def0961b31bab62.jpeg

TIA

-FT

My 656D has the second battery under the tank on the right side also its a 66' model as far as the heavier fast hitch drawbar that might have something to do with tractor HP size 

• Like 1

Battery location on 656- I think it was different for the hydrostatic trans. diesel models as opposed to gear drive.  My 656 D hydro, a '68 model ,has the second 6 volt battery above the left rear axle.  There are some hydraulic lines under the fuel tank that I think would be in the way of locating the second battery there. Are they all like that I don't know for sure but the ones I have seen are similar.  544's no experience.  Rollie

• Like 2

Our 656's all had the battery under the right side of the tank like yours. Very early one and really late one too. The fast hitch drawbars were at least three variations, maybe more. I think the thick and thin were available at the same time. Just large and small tractors like ksfarmdude said. The drawbar you show in the hitch is what both our 656's had new.

• Like 1

As others have said the battery tray you pictured appears to be the tray used on a Hydro model.  They all have the 1 battery in front of your feet.  The hydros have the 2nd on the platform left of the seat rather than where yours is on the gear drive.

So did the 06 and 56 series that have a fast hitch come with a fast hitch drawbar or was that an option?  Since these tractors also have the regular drawbar I just assumed the fast hitch drawbar was only an option.  I have a heavy fast hitch drawbar that I bought to use with my 656 although I've never used it.  The standard drawbar is so much more solid that is all I use.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

IIRC the 706 and up had the heavier f/h drawbar 

Was there a difference in width between the light one and heavy duty one ? They don't look interchangeable   thickness wise on where it slides into the receiver part of the fast hitch I'm thinking all mine on the 656 and 560 are the same I hardly use it on the 656 but on the 560 that's all you had

17 minutes ago, Tobaccoman said:

No difference in width between the two. I currently have the heavy one on my 560.

What he said - there are only two diff sizes on FH its the thickness of the points and u need a spacer to use small sized in 400/560/656 and up larger point brackets 

• Like 2

There are two versions of the thin hitch. One has spacers welded on the rear bottom of the points. This hitch is simply back about an inch further. Some thin ones don't have that. Never knew what the difference was for. Maybe to clear the tube hitch, not sure. We have all three of those styles.

• Like 1

1466, interesting you mentioned the differences between the thin 2pth drawbars. Most people never notice.  I'm not sure,  but think the ones with spacers might just be originally supplied with the Utility tractors, i.e., 300U, 350U. The others with the Farmall models. I wonder if a close examination of pictures in a Utility Operators Manual would give a definite answer. 

• Like 1

My 350 Diesel Utility has a white drawbar with the spacers.  My Farmall 300 has a red drawbar with no spacers.  My Dad bought both new and both are the original ones to each tractor.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

There are two versions of the thin hitch. One has spacers welded on the rear bottom of the points. This hitch is simply back about an inch further. Some thin ones don't have that. Never knew what the difference was for. Maybe to clear the tube hitch, not sure. We have all three of those styles.

I’m having a little trouble envisioning what you’re describing with the spacer thing.

If you have opportunity, would you mind snapping a picture?

TIA.

-FT

Start a drawbar thread!   Have everybody post different variations.   Interesting topic.

This thread need the specs & drawings of the under tank battery tray.....Ahm. 😁  SO I can replace the "boat battery box" on my 666 platform.

56 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Start a drawbar thread!   Have everybody post different variations.   Interesting topic.

This thread need the specs & drawings of the under tank battery tray.....Ahm. 😁  SO I can replace the "boat battery box" on my 666 platform.

FYI: my 686 that dad bought new is identical to a 666 diesel, and the factory battery location is left of the seat. I honestly had no idea there was an option for under the fuel tank, as all of our 656s were gas or hydro.

12 hours ago, FarmallTom said:

I’m having a little trouble envisioning what you’re describing with the spacer thing.

If you have opportunity, would you mind snapping a picture?

TIA.

-FT

I will get some pictures, hopefully I remember.

2 hours ago, VacDaddyt said:

Utility drawbar with the extra step is so the PTO to drawbar pin hole distance is correct. 

My 656 farmall has the same stepped drawbar not sure it just a utility thing

On 8/15/2021 at 8:33 AM, red5770 said:

Utility drawbar on the top, row crop on the bottom.76FEE9CC-3914-48FF-BF5F-30BD4AF2A1E5.thumb.jpeg.c6aa3920a06a82051b62bf6e4e6616ad.jpeg

Interesting…

I don’t recall that I’ve ever seen that before… or possibly I just didn’t notice.

Hood the OAL’s, etc, compare?

Thanks.

-FT