Did you folks know that semi-truck tires do blow out!!

oleman

Made a 20 mile trip today, down to Plano.  Cruising along in the middle south bound lane of local US 75 at about 60 MPH.  Semi-truck was in the left side lane and I backed off and let him  ahead of me.   Running about 60 MPH in light traffic I was following him about 50 yards behind and heard a loud "BOOM" noise and the right rear trailer front outside dual tire casing was flying across the right lane and bounced off the right hand concrete barrier. It was not a simple tread separation it was tire explosion. If the tire incident had happened 2 minutes before I would have been hit directly with over 100 pounds of tire parts.  Fortunately didn't impact any  tire residue because it all went straight across and right.  As soon as the driver realized what had happened he pulled off to the right side and up against the barrier.  Very professional driver, and a perfect stop.

I have seen tires separate  before, but this was my first tire explosion ever.

The only thing I got out of this was to never drive alongside a semi on the roadway, especially the rear trailer tires. 

Would have made a good U-tube video, if I had the camera rolling. 

Be careful out there!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oleman said:

Made a 20 mile trip today, down to Plano.  Cruising along in the middle south bound lane of local US 75 at about 60 MPH.  Semi-truck was in the left side lane and I backed off and let him  ahead of me.   Running about 60 MPH in light traffic I was following him about 50 yards behind and heard a loud "BOOM" noise and the right rear trailer front outside dual tire casing was flying across the right lane and bounced off the right hand concrete barrier. It was not a simple tread separation it was tire explosion. If the tire incident had happened 2 minutes before I would have been hit directly with over 100 pounds of tire parts.  Fortunately didn't impact any  tire residue because it all went straight across and right.  As soon as the driver realized what had happened he pulled off to the right side and up against the barrier.  Very professional driver, and a perfect stop.

I have seen tires separate  before, but this was my first tire explosion ever.

The only thing I got out of this was to never drive alongside a semi on the roadway, especially the rear trailer tires. 

Would have made a good U-tube video, if I had the camera rolling. 

Be careful out there!

You aught to see super singles blow😱

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

You aught to see super singles blow😱

Yep.  One of our grain trailers had super singles and we had one tear off the back end of it when a tire let loose.

Running a Grove GMK 7550 truck crane down the interstate and had a sidewall blow out. Luckily no one was passing me when it went, as I was in the right lane and the remnants landed against the concrete barrier 2 lanes over. Not the crane I was driving, just a photo from the net, to show the size.

27091373-044B-4573-97BA-FC45B8F1FB46.jpeg

Was following a buddy from work once years ago to get a load of liquid fertilizer. No fenders on the trailer and when it went I watched it go about 40’ straight up in the air and come back down. 

• Like 1

Back in the day I ran with a CB in my pickup. One day a driver commented to another driver about how 4 wheelers shouldn’t hang by the tires. Learned from that conversation and have done my best to stay away from those danger zones ever since. 

Thank you for sharing the stories  @oleman and others!

• Like 1

You don't have to be on the road to have a blowout. About 2005 or 2006 I had an oversize load/legal weight blow a trailer tire in a truckstop parking lot. I had pulled in, updated my logbook, made phone call, and was walking towards the restaurant when a trailer tire blew. Inside rear dual let go, it blew at least 5 gallons of hard packed gravel. Literally sounded like a bomb went off.  It was probably 20+ minutes from the time I parked to when that tire blew..

• Like 1

A blow out on a truck or trailer will take the windows out of your vehicle.  Very dangerous zone next to a truck or anything with big tires.

• Like 1

Here's a clue, it's not the donut that your Prius rides on, so figure it out, big balloon goes boom when it explodes. Seen plenty of bigger explosions than that. Guess it's all in where your from

Mark

Only had it happen once in the highway. Met a semi on a hot day and just as he was going past it was just like a loud gunshot. Thought for a second we’d been hit it was so loud. Not sure the trucker even knew as it appeared he just carried on as did we. Thankfully no damage to our vehicle but it sure woke us up lol. 

I was behind a semi and was about to pass but I smelled rubber and backed off. It was a RH tire that blew so it wouldn't have got me anyway but I still was happy for that little alarm bell that went off in my head.

Some years ago I was working in the yard. It was hunting season so I'm used to hearing gunshots but I heard the strangest sounding and loud shot. There was no one close so I was wondering what kind of gun it was. Some time later I found a 10.00-20 had blown on my bucket truck - just sitting in the yard! It happened again just a few weeks ago when my wife heard a shot in the yard. She found that a tire had blown on the wood chipper, again, just sitting there.

I've never seen a super single blow. Is it common? Duals I understand as one is probably taking more load due inflation mismatch.

Low air pressure causes heat, heat causes tire failure. Or, age and rubber deterioration. I've witnessed several blowouts over the years, even drove through the shrapnel at least once (in a rental suburban with a paid loss damage waiver, thankfully). The weirdest was cruising down I95 toward Florida and I saw a duck of some sort fly into the space just in front of the tires on a semi trailer. I was thinking "this isn't going to end well for the bird". Out of pure coincidence, one of those tires exploded. Rubber bits and bird guts went everywhere.   

• Haha 1

I forget if we were north-bound or south-bound on I-90 south of Janesville, We, we're cruising in our '88 Mustang GT,  I catch this semi running 65 in the right lane, I can hear a tire on his trailer "thumping" meaning it's getting ready to blow. I downshift from 5th to 3rd and floor the Mustang and I'm doing about 90 when I get along side his drive tires and the trailer tire blows.  I won't pass a truck if I hear a tire thumping anymore.  You guys know how heavy those " alligator's " are?

My personal record for tire failures was 8 between Davenport, Iowa and Chicago. I had a pair of new steer tires installed that morning. I get my trailer assignment, go find it, and there's two 9.00x20's on the same wheels with 10.00x20's, the 10.00's carry all the load, the 9.00's don't even touch the ground! Tire guys replaces 9.00's with 10.00 recaps.  I toss a recap on I-80 around Lasalle, Ill, stop at The TIKI and actually have two flats. O-K, so that's SIX tires.  I take off for Con-Rail piggyback yard at 79th and Western in Chicago. The guy comes out to check me in, "You've got two flats".  Those piggy-back trailers were TERRIBLE for having flat tires. If I was lucky, I'd have a pickup somewhere with my empty trailer I pulled out of the railyard. It'd take me about two minutes to hook, crank landing gear, check tires & lights, and attach light pigtail and airlines.  I carried boxes of #1156 & #1157 bulbs with me so I could fix trailer lights.

The ready-mix company I drove for had Super-Singles on front of all their mixers, and 3 mixers with all 6 wheels super-singles, the FWD & two White Construktor's. Everything else had duals on drive axles. I'd have about one flat a summer. And drivers fixed their own flats. They did have a tire cage.

I was in wildwood Florida at a large truck stop when a semi caught on fire. People gathered up with phones taking pictures and video. The police drove up and immediately told people to get back. Everyone was slow to move while they took more pictures. Then a tire blew on the semi.   Sounded like a bomb. It was comical to watch the people run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve had four blow on me when I used to haul grain. First was a steer when a high school budy was training me. I was glad he was there, I didn’t realize how hard a flat steer was to steer till he reached over and grabbed the wheel to help keep it straight till I got it slowed. Once on a drive on ten wheeler no big deal limped her home twice with in a couple days on drive of semi on interstate. All just blew holes not off bead. Scariest was actually my pickup blowing a tire next to a semi. The echo scared the s#*! Out of me. I was on my way to a date. This old farm boy had it changed almost NASCAR time.... couldn’t keep that little girl waiting. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I won't pass a truck if I hear a tire thumping anymore.

Yeah, I learned that many years ago. I was a kid driving a wrecker. Company had a contract with U-Haul to bring all the wrecks to their repair center, many were de-roofed by the tunnels on the drives either side of the Charles river, especially by college kids or their parents wandering around trying to find their dorms in Boston. Anyway, I was hauling box truck on I290 and I heard a strange thumping over the radio noise. That's when the cap came off the left rear outer of the trailer in front of me taking off the mudflap with some shrapnel, maybe the tread or flap, sailing right over my truck. I stashed that away in my memory bank. Funny that happened again some time later but I don't remember where, just the vision of the tread, all of it, sailing high in the air. I'd hate to get that in the windshield.

Did you ever notice how some stretches of road seem to have lots of tire remains? I wonder if it's the road or if the local DOT just doesn't bother to pick them up and they accumulate?

• Like 1

Yes indeed gents, they do blow and when they do they generally go in a very big way. With over 3 1/2 million behind the wheel I've seen plenty so be forewarned. Either pass, let them bye, and always stay well behind and allow enough room in front for reaction time stopping. You will get run over and they won't even know it. 

Watched a VW beetle get run completely over after sliding down a hill in a snowstorm in Seattle, right under the trailer of a tanker. Tanker never even stopped cause he didn't even know it.

Lost more than a couple complete duals from trailers and trucks as well when the lugs sheared off, torn out bearings etc. They pass you and keep on trucking to wherever. Lost one set of trailer duals on a dirty snowy AM out in the wheat country and never noticed it until I stopped for coffee. Axle looked like you do with your, ahem, hard parts standing at attention. When I lost it is anybody's guess.

Watched a single drive tire shear off an oncoming truck, pass the truck, bounce over the median and go completely through an oncoming camper on a pickup.  And thats to name just a few mishaps.

Just a word to the wise, stay awake out there. As safe as it is, driving is still a priority situation demanding full attention. Unlike the way so many of the younger generation react to it, with callous disregard and contempt for the whole concept. 

• Like 4