Who Overreacted? Your Opinion

2 hours ago, bitty said:

Seems to me like you were willing to restock the lid supply helping future customers out instead of the route he was taking. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with many more people leaving a full lidless drink on the counter reducing their margin of profit further

Not many people like us that would rather resolve our own problem instead of complaining......I guess thats frowned upon.

I would have done the same thing looking for lids.  All the kid had to do is say "may I help you instead of you looking for things"?  And then say "I'm sorry, we are out and I'll make a note of it" 

I feel bad Im pretty short anymore.  I almost got hit backing out of my parents last week by some punk in a Dodge cummins doing 75 mph on a 45 mph section of road (if doing speed limit theres ample time to slow if someone is backing out this section of road).  Instead he blew around me horn blaring.......I absolutely snapped.  Had the 3/4 ton 2500 chevy farm truck and grabbed rubber in 2 gears and ran him down to the next intersection and yelled a choice slogan out the window.  Im not normally like this, but we all have those moments.  Inconsiderate jerks are getting VERY old.  

• Like 2

The older I get the less crap I tolerate, there's a real good chance he would have been wearing that drink when I left. 

• Like 4

I would not expect much when it comes to the employee and how his management will handle it.  For every well meaning customer there is a customer itching for trouble and that person gets revealed in their story.  The district manager no doubt hears complaints most of the hours that he/she is on the job each day.  No service sector employee would last a day if the DM went only by the customer version of an encounter.  Too bad so many people foul up on both sides that it creates doubt even when someone is being truthful and honest.  As has been said the pay historically stinks with such jobs that it only attracts the least capable so things are at a disadvantage before that employee punches in for their shift.  

Well, seeing that you are one of us Iowan's I'm assuming it was a Casey's or a Kum and Go. No matter really. 

About 15 years ago I got this really STUPID idea that I would buy a convenience store. Now I have done some dumb stuff in my day, but that was the dumbest. Figured that it would add a bit of income for when I retired. Little did I know, that I could have bought a farm with the money I lost. Back to the original subject.......

You could contact the manager, but odds are good that unless he is the owner, he doesn't give a shitt either. Remember, the manger is just someone who has worked there the longest. (which may be 2 months) Probably the only place harder to get good help than a nursing home .... is a convenience store. I've had some employees that didn't last an hour. I lost count of the number of employees that went on break, went out to have a cigarette, took out the trash, etc etc, and just never came back. Convenience store employees are the sickest people on earth. I have never seen so many people who are always getting the flu. It usually becomes an epidemic on Friday's and Saturdays, continuing on into Sunday mornings. It got to the point that I would ask them on Friday if they were going to be sick this weekend. (It went right over their heads... they didn't get the sarcasam.) It got to the point where I would have an ad in the paper weekly for help. And no, I'm not a bad boss. It's just the quality of help you get. Speaking as a boss.... I wanted to have a class "A" operation. I furnished slacks and shirts for the employees. The cost was supposed to come out of their last check if they quit..Hello, most never even bothered to get their last check. I could go on and on and on and..........

My suggestion is to just write it up as a bad experience. Talk to the owner if you can. 

Thank god I was able to pass the fun times on to someone else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

That line always got me fired up..................."Not my job"....................I hated that.  I am sure you don't hear the Chinese say that................

People may not like that line but more often it is true if a person is willing to listen to the full story.  An employee can get into a lot of trouble including being fired if they stray too far from their assigned work.  Even if that employee was well intentioned their boss may only be concerned about that employee deviating from the task at hand.  Often there are daily work assignments for employees to strictly follow.  That aside many such employers don't hire strong thinkers as they want work done without question.  Hard to imagine unless you know somebody who works in a service oriented business.  

You handled it much better than I would have. After his first remarks it would have been game on! 
My tolerance for stupidity and poor attitudes is not very high. 

2 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

....I absolutely snapped.  Had the 3/4 ton 2500 chevy farm truck and grabbed rubber in 2 gears and ran him down to the next intersection and yelled a choice slogan out the window.  

In case you don’t already know , that’s all it takes to get you a disturbing the peace ticket . 

34 minutes ago, lorenzo said:
2 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

....I absolutely snapped.  Had the 3/4 ton 2500 chevy farm truck and grabbed rubber in 2 gears and ran him down to the next intersection and yelled a choice slogan out the window.  

In case you don’t already know , that’s all it takes to get you a disturbing the peace ticket . 

You end up cuffed for reckless driving if you happen to be seen by the wrong officer  

On the other side of the coin - stopped into a local ‘gas-n-go’ that I’d never been to before, went totally brain-dead at the gas pump, couldn’t figure out how to select fuel grade since the pump was configured differently then the place I usually go to.

Went inside to the snack food area, and told my troubles to the young African-American girl behind the counter (I mention her race only because it’s pretty much lily-white around here)

She was as nice and pleasant as could be, we both had a laugh at my confusion, the encounter left me with a good feeling.

And, yes, she was the exception rather than the rule.

Nothing wrong. Where ever I have worked was what needs to be done got done, even if it truly wasn’t my job. Maybe that’s why I haven’t ever had an issue getting or holding a job. Yup would have asked for manager, or the managers number and explain why the just lost a customer. 

Similar experience at Taco Bell (ok no comments) I was a hurry and it was the only place around. Ordered plain Tacos, got down the road a ways opened bag, not even wrapped, and all dumped put in the bag. Wrote a bad review, next day got a call from message from owner. We talked, excuses, covid, no help, you know how it is these days right. Point blank told him I would never go there again, and haven’t 

LOL, Yeah, you had a bad day, and it sure could have gone either way. Sure seems like there was plenty of players upping the last one. Glad you got the rant out.

I would move on, or maybe take a break from the store for a month.  And if you find the owner give them the why

I try to avoid convenience stores as much as possible. Buy my gas by paying at the pump, only go in if I want a cup of coffee or need to use the restroom.

Here in PA we are having convenience store wars between Sheetz, Wawa, and now Rutter's. They are all building new stores or remodeling old ones, adding seating areas, beer caves, all kinds of specialty foods and drinks. That being said, I prefer the Sheetz brand. I have Sheetz on one end of town and a Turkey Hill on the other with three smaller stores in between, their gas is always more expensive than the big chains.

It is amazing to watch the traffic in and out of those stores.

Well, I just walked out of the store.  Was in there long enough to copy down the managers phone number.  They were still out of large lids.  (I had made a note at work that notified other customers that there were no large lids .) Taped it to the soda machine and left.  Mr. Green hair paid no attention to me at all!  I took the high road today, feels good....😏

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Well, I just walked out of the store.  Was in there long enough to copy down the managers phone number.  They were still out of large lids.  (I had made a note at work that notified other customers that there were no large lids .) Taped it to the soda machine and left.  Mr. Green hair paid no attention to me at all!  I took the high road today, feels good....😏

You done better then I would of have.  If would of been me when he said he wouldn't sell that's when I've would've said ok have a drink on me then and knocked it over.  I go to a Speedway here and they do treat me good there.   ( By way I'm one of the guys when my order ain't right it goes back air borne. ) Done that at Mcdonald 's drive thru a year ago.

Ya did right, looking for a lid is only commonsense, leaving the drinks made the kid look silly, making a mess would make you look silly, especially if you are a return customer, yes you can waste your time phoning in a complaint but how long did this whole scene take 5 mins? It will take longer to phone and complain than it is worth.

The kid acted like a knob, let him, you acted with restraint and probably felt better back on the road than you would have felt the other way, I've acted both ways and felt no better being reactionary compared to just walking away.

On another note I see you mention Iowa, where are you compared to the field of dreams park? Great game there tomorrow night, yanks and white sox.

4 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

You end up cuffed for reckless driving if you happen to be seen by the wrong officer  

Typical how it works, watch that idiot fly past how many times but nothing gets done about it but pinch the guy who had enough and almost gets hit.  

Talked to a buddy that lives close by on the road at that intersection and he recognized the vehicle description right away and had a similiar experience 

18 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Ya did right, looking for a lid is only commonsense, leaving the drinks made the kid look silly, making a mess would make you look silly, especially if you are a return customer, yes you can waste your time phoning in a complaint but how long did this whole scene take 5 mins? It will take longer to phone and complain than it is worth.

The kid acted like a knob, let him, you acted with restraint and probably felt better back on the road than you would have felt the other way, I've acted both ways and felt no better being reactionary compared to just walking away.

On another note I see you mention Iowa, where are you compared to the field of dreams park? Great game there tomorrow night, yanks and white sox.

I live 2 1/2 hours SW of Dyersville.  Rode past the Field on a tractor ride this spring.   Looking forward to the game as well. First one ever played in Iowa.

20210604_152438_005.jpg

20210604_152509.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Typical how it works, watch that jackoff fly past how many times but nothing gets done about it but pinch the guy who had enough and almost gets hit

That is the way it works............Drunk Driver ran into me, I was charged for turning without a green arrow just a green light.................Who cares he was driving wreckless at atleast 2x, maybe even 3x the posted speed limit out of the line of sight.  I fought it and won, but wouldn't you think someone would have enough common sense to say "Hey, this doesn't make any sense????"  

I use to buy $85-90 worth of fuel every Friday afternoon at the local place. For a few years, every week. Same lady was behind the counter most of the time. Well one Friday I was in a hurry and did not really need fuel for the truck, but I did need 2 or 5 gallons in a small jug to fuel my walk behind snow blower. So I just bought two or five gallons. Only had a large bills on me. She tells me she would have to wait for a few more customers to come in (and get their money into the drawer) before she could make change for my $100 because she didn’t have time to open up “the drawer”.  Now I’ve never worked a cash register, I know some keeps large bills separate and sometimes a small store may not actually have change, right in the top draw real easy like, But I can assure you that this was not a small store and I am certain that they had stacks of 20s and tens well more than enough to make change for me.

I think she wanted me to go back out and pump $90 worth of fuel.

I drove right past that store for a solid year after that. 

49 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I use to buy $85-90 worth of fuel every Friday afternoon at the local place. For a few years, every week. Same lady was behind the counter most of the time. Well one Friday I was in a hurry and did not really need fuel for the truck, but I did need 2 or 5 gallons in a small jug to fuel my walk behind snow blower. So I just bought two or five gallons. Only had a large bills on me. She tells me she would have to wait for a few more customers to come in (and get their money into the drawer) before she could make change for my $100 because she didn’t have time to open up “the drawer”.  Now I’ve never worked a cash register, I know some keeps large bills separate and sometimes a small store may not actually have change, right in the top draw real easy like, But I can assure you that this was not a small store and I am certain that they had stacks of 20s and tens well more than enough to make change for me.

I think she wanted me to go back out and pump $90 worth of fuel.

I drove right past that store for a solid year after that. 

When I worked at a store, all the big bills & checks went under the tray in the drawer. Can't imagine it would be that difficult in this day & age. But, then again....

Mike

10 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Yesterday was a d*** hot and humid day here in central Iowa.   On the way home from work,  I stopped into a convenience store to grab a couple large fountain drinks.  Fill them up with ice and soda.  Go to the rack and no large lids.  I never thought to look first!  Another customer who discovered the same situation moments before I did was also standing there in a quandary.   We decided to check the cupboards quick for lids.  The lone employee in the store, a young man with long green hair down past his shoulders and music blaring from his phone in his pocket walks over to us.  "Are you gentlemen nosy or do you enjoy trespassing in our cupboards?" He asks. Now,  I know I was wrong for looking, but I just wanted to help out and find a solution to the problem.   We asked him about the lids. They are out.  I suggested that a sign on the machine would be helpful for the customers.   He replied that was "not his job ".  I began to get angry.  I reminded him that it sure as **** was his job!  I decided to use a pair of slushy domed covers on the drinks and headed to the counter.  The young man wanted me to apologize for being rude to him.  I responded I would do so only  If he admitted that his job included providing the lids or making an effort to notify the customer of the shortage.   He again replied that it "was not his job".  I told him to just ring me up. He said I was rude and refused to sell me the drinks. So, I walked out, leaving them on the counter.

Now, guys: I spend over $400./month on fuel at that store, not counting drinks,  etc. I am wrong, or did a hot,  nasty day make me irritable?  Do I go back there or boycott?   Rant over.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

I'm not going to say here, what I would have told that kid. But I would have & not looked back again.

Mike

In my opinion.

He had a terrible attitude and was in the wrong.

You over reacted and we're in the wrong (less than him).

But it really doesn't matter. No laws were broken. Your fine.

Thx-Ace