544, He's calling it a Hydramatic

nomorejohndeere

27 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

Interesting.  Now I'm second guessing myself.  As I said earlier I've never run one, only seen in the owners manual and on a dealers lot.  I thought it did have the reverse gear but maybe not.

That’s the way our 340 forklift was setup. It had reverse and the mechanical shuttle. Used that thing for years…it was a handy little machine. Although compared to the IH 4500B forklift we had at the same time, nobody wanted to run the 340 with the clutch as compared to the 4500B with the torque converter setup. 

Did a little more research on this at work today. According to the service manual…Owen Aaland is correct, a 544 with mechanical shuttle should not have a reverse gear in it…should be 5 forward gears and 5 reverse gears. Here’s some info about it from the IH 544 chassis service manual. 

6BB1CEB7-339F-4A42-9288-BA9B8CA30E61.jpeg

B8C6DD15-6400-4322-AB85-91FB66D287F2.jpeg

3DA5B17C-7412-47E4-9AB8-B8B69E0A33C0.jpeg

could have a worn out TA and when he steps on the brake it stops and when he releases it it might take off again. But A TA does not work that way. I have to think it is a confused seller

• Haha 1

cousin had a wd 45 we called "guess-o-matic" because gear shift would come off in your hand and you did not know what gear you were in

pete

• Haha 1