Old IH Dealership

Jay1019

Hi everyone! I was looking through some of my dads old photos and it got me thinking. 

I always hear stories from my dad, how my grandpa used to own an IH dealership in Antioch, IL. I never met him, and don’t really know anything about it. Does anyone happen to have any information on it? I think it would be really cool to read up on it and maybe I could surprise my dad with something about it? 

I know this may be a shot in the dark but I appreciate any help!! 

Yeah I know it.  It was Olson Implement in Antioch, IL, and my Dad was one of the mechanics there in the 60s-70s.  Stewart (Olson) sold out around '77 and it became Nor-Mal International but only lasted 2-3 yrs after that.  

Stewart worked as a salesman for A.A. Anderson in Harvard in the 80s/early 90s.  I recall when he passed (I actually heard the tone on my parents fire/rescue radio, not knowing it was him) I was driving, in high school, so it had to be roughly 91-93ish.

My Uncle delivered equipment for Olson's in the winter/off season.

I do not have any pics or anything from Olsons....I'm sure many of my farm toys came from there, and I have an Olson Implement dealer decal stuck on my toolbox, and some service manuals (we actually had an IH 1566/68 chassis manual, that my Dad had hand written 'Stewart Olson' on the front of it, at Dad's wake a few years back).  Aside from that, I don't have anything.

If any of your pics have pictures of the dealer service personnel I'd bet my Dad would be in some of them.

Contact the local newspaper for dealer ads and articles about the dealership.

You will be surprised what you find.

Have 5088 send you a photo of the Olson Implement dealer decal.

Any vinyl sign shop can make you as many copies as you want.

History is fun and the search is half of it.

Trying to add a pic from my phone.  Coloring on this is opposite of the pics Jass1660 posted.  Pretty sure my Uncle's 1566 came from Nor-Mal but I can't recall if that dealer sticker is on it any more.20210811_194953.thumb.jpg.904c147969ee47e6fa987356a24b63f9.jpg

• Like 2

What a cool thread... need more contributors...

My Grandfather was good friend with a man named Otto Rudd who owned a JD dealership in Hanson, KY

Mr Rudd also did wood working and built a cedar chest for my Grandfather who gave it to my mother for her 12th birthday. That would have been in 1920.

I passed it on to our daughter a few years ago. I can remember hanging around the dealership with my Grandfather and listening to hunting stories and "tractor talk".  Some of the best memories I have.

• Like 2

I still know very little about what IH dealers there were around me. There are old red tractors everywhere, but I've never heard tell of any big dealerships. One time I dug around on the Wisconsin History site at dealer lists, but nothing that I could find any other reference to anywhere.

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

I still know very little about what IH dealers there were around me. There are old red tractors everywhere, but I've never heard tell of any big dealerships. One time I dug around on the Wisconsin History site at dealer lists, but nothing that I could find any other reference to anywhere.

you might find this site interesting/useful:  http://ihdealerspast.net/

thanks to whoever originally posted this back in the day

• Thanks 1

There could be several IH dealers in one county alone back in the day. I well remember going in with broken parts where the owner would work in parts and remind me how dumb I was and then tell me how to install the part and align it. I hated that when I was a teenager but now I look at it much differently. You really miss the water when the well runs dry.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:59 PM, KWRB said:

There were 5 up here in Jefferson County at one point. Taylor Implement was the biggest. They were on W Main St in Watertown. It is still there vacant and for sale. 

even in new jersey i can remember 5 or 6 IH dealers within 20 miles of our farm in the 50's & 60's.

none now.

pete

12 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

There were 5 up here in Jefferson County at one point. Taylor Implement was the biggest. They were on W Main St in Watertown. It is still there vacant and for sale. 

Dealer support here is not very good any more. I’m close to the city and I think the thing that hurts Case here the most is the lack of a consumer product line. There are several Deere dealers here that only sell small equipment, but are allowed to sell parts for anything. The big box stores sell cheap Deere mowers and then these consumer products dealers do all the service. All of the green dealers here can’t sell mowers fast enough and seems to be a large part of their business. The closest Case dealer and the New Holland dealer closed up. If Cub Cadet was still under the same umbrella as Case IH it would be better for dealers around here.