The Fall Run 2.0: Reloaded

ihrondiesel

How wide spread is it to bale corn stalks for feed------or just special cases where the grower is also in the cattle business.

Here in the Delta-------you normally see a disk not far behind the combine and start the deterioration of the crop residue as soon as possible.

DD

1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

How wide spread is it to bale corn stalks for feed------or just special cases where the grower is also in the cattle business.

Here in the Delta-------you normally see a disk not far behind the combine and start the deterioration of the crop residue as soon as possible.

DD

I live in Sioux County IA, one of the biggest livestock counties in the nation. I would guess between 1/3 and 1/2 of the corn acres get baled for the stalks here- @Gearclash will have an opinion on that number, as he is in the stalk baling business like I am. Growers that aren’t in the cattle business will sell the stalks or trade for manure. Stalks are used for both feed and bedding. With higher corn and hay prices this year, I expect it to be a busy fall for baling. 

@ihrondiesel I would agree about a 1/3 of corn acres get baled.  It depends exactly where in the county you are.

Usually cornstalks get made into round bales -- squares are kind of an exception -- I know of only 2 operations that make squares on a really large scale.  Most make round bales.  I just kind of shake my head about big square stalks because I used to make upwards of 500 a year of them and the knotter problems that stalks cause will tax the patience of a saint.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:56 PM, IHhogfarmer said:

@ihrondiesel ever hear of this classic by Merle from 1975? It was the theme some for the t.v. Series “Movin On”

Thanks for the pics. I’m enjoying seeing your travels. 

Here’s another one I like @IHhogfarmer

Don't want to hi-jack Ron's thread....... but a stalk baling question.

Does anyone up there have a Hillco residue unit? It's a pull behind chopper and JD round baler for baling the husks and lost kernals. Pulls behind a JD combine. There is a guy about 10 miles from me near Harlan that I saw last year was running one.  That would be the cats meow for stock cow feed, but I have no idea the price tag.

We were the first in this area to bale corn stover for our cows. My experience....

First couple years I hired a guy who had a flail chopper on his JD round baler. He only baled the center two rows. Made pretty decent feed, but the chopper shook his baler to pieces. He quit because it was to expensive to fix the equipment.  Next we slid the chopper back on the renters combine (JD) and just dumped everything in the center two rows. The guy baling didn't like it because  he said the standing stalks were to hard on his baler. Next we hired a guy to rake and bale the stalks. Never again !!. Waaayyyyy to much dirt. Cows looked like they had been eating in a mud hole. Finally just went back to buying hay. 

Love feeding corn stover. But it needs to be put up by someone who knows something about cows and not just concerned about the number of bales. 

Now, using the bales as bedding, that is a different story. Makes great bedding.

If you haven't seen those Hillco units, check them out on the internet. That is the way to make cow feed.

9 hours ago, dads706 said:

Don't want to hi-jack Ron's thread....... but a stalk baling question.

Does anyone up there have a Hillco residue unit? It's a pull behind chopper and JD round baler for baling the husks and lost kernals. Pulls behind a JD combine. There is a guy about 10 miles from me near Harlan that I saw last year was running one.  That would be the cats meow for stock cow feed, but I have no idea the price tag.

We were the first in this area to bale corn stover for our cows. My experience....

First couple years I hired a guy who had a flail chopper on his JD round baler. He only baled the center two rows. Made pretty decent feed, but the chopper shook his baler to pieces. He quit because it was to expensive to fix the equipment.  Next we slid the chopper back on the renters combine (JD) and just dumped everything in the center two rows. The guy baling didn't like it because  he said the standing stalks were to hard on his baler. Next we hired a guy to rake and bale the stalks. Never again !!. Waaayyyyy to much dirt. Cows looked like they had been eating in a mud hole. Finally just went back to buying hay. 

Love feeding corn stover. But it needs to be put up by someone who knows something about cows and not just concerned about the number of bales. 

Now, using the bales as bedding, that is a different story. Makes great bedding.

If you haven't seen those Hillco units, check them out on the internet. That is the way to make cow feed.

I don’t remember what Dad had, maybe a Foster Chaffwagon? Sounds about right. Anyway, we used it for 2 or 3 years, but on gravity irrigated ground it was a challenge to get the bunches picked up. Next he tried a Heston stackhand. Like you said, to much dirt. 
On the corn, after I got to running the combine, there wasn’t enough corn in the fodder to make good feed. The shucks were filler but not worth the cost for us.