Charging Systems on new vehicles

jeeper61

2 hours ago, 101Pathfinder said:

I miss my vent windows

Me too! My dump truck has them, great in the summer, but honestly I wish it had air conditioning to keep the windows fog free.

3 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Send a girl to college in a Honda and you probably will not have to save her from a broke down car

Sent mine in a Jaguar (X-Type or Ford). I did have to rescue her but my fault really. The battery was marginal and the rather cold temperatures in Hanover, NH killed it. Other than that it ran just fine.

My brother has a Benz that shuts down at ever long stop, since it's new it still works fine. He investigated the system and says they actually have a cylinder|s that they close off the valves on (to save a ready to fire cylinder) at a stop so it can instantly restart.  Leave it to Benz to make the most complex stuff around.

Our old  Dodge Dart powered by a 7.2 liter, failed to start the last time I wanted to use it. I looked at the record and the last work I did to it was in 2003 so I just purchased a whole ignition system from Rockauto for $160.  Replacing everything including the distributor!  Something to be said for old and simple.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, New Englander said:

Yeah, the first stop/start didn't do it well. You'll find the newer ones do it quite well.

Still doesn't work well with a stick read some of the reviews 

Actually when you drive in CA traffic

Since CA is going non-ICE what is the point

ICE vehicles are on there way out so why expend the effort when it could be directed at the EV development 

Why are we upping the CAFE again if ICE vehicles are on there way out? Oh wait Trump relaxed them so it must be bad 

The starter is made a little more robust, the battery is a little better

Apparently didn't help your BMW

I haven't had a OEM starter fail in a long time but with the stop start I would expect a lot more.

Then what is this going to do for engine wear?  All these start ups where the majority of engine wear occurs.

These will be the unseen incalculable impact on environment.  

It will be good for repair shops anyway  

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

Apparently didn't help your BMW

I haven't had a OEM starter fail in a long time but with the stop start I would expect a lot more.

Then what is this going to do for engine wear?  All these start ups where the majority of engine wear occurs.

These will be the unseen incalculable impact on environment.  

It will be good for repair shops anyway

BMW starter probably succumbed to the half gone ground strap I found after the fact, new one cranked slow until I replaced it.

Engine wear is from cold starts, not from what amounts to a momentary pause in running.

What is the unseen possible impact on the environment? I'm not following.

Agreed that it may increase starter repairs on older vehicles. My 2004 GMC needed a starter at about 150k but being in a full sized truck was a lot easier to change.

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

Trump relaxed them so it must be bad 

No argument there! Just like the VP wasn't going to take any vaccine developed under the Trump administration, that is, until it was no longer the Trump administration. Yep, it wouldn't have mattered if he personally developed a cure for cancer, it would be bad in the left's eyes. But we're straying into politics here.

56 minutes ago, New Englander said:

What is the unseen possible impact on the environment? I'm not following.

The increased starter and battery use which if they are coming from China they will be made with 60% coal fired electric.

I would expect 1/2 the life and likely not as rebuildable so new will be preferred for reliability.

The Merc based trucks we use in work have this auto stop start malarkey.  When we come to a stop the engine stops whilst your foot is on the brake pedal. Restarts on release of yhe brake. Upto two cycles.  Then continues to run.

Mostly manually turn it off as it makes for a sluggish slow take off.

They also got Merc's not so wonderful  traction stability control system on.

Makes for interesting experience  pushing  a 5 ton truck into a bend at speed to have the power cut and brakes apply just when you put the hammer down 😱😱😱

8 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

The increased starter and battery use which if they are coming from China they will be made with 60% coal fired electric.

I would expect 1/2 the life and likely not as rebuildable so new will be preferred for reliability.

The Bosch starter on the BMW was made in Hungary and was replaced by one rebuilt in the USA. A closely monitored AGM battery being tended to by a smart charging system should last longer than a conventional flooded cell being charged by a constant voltage system but time will tell. No, you can't add another battery through an isolator but no automobiles have any such need and only a few trucks. I wonder if dual batteries can be specified for a cab/chassis for ambulance use?

The starter I removed from the BMW may have needed only a solenoid. She complained of chattering and no/poor starts but I was on the road for three weeks and couldn't do anything about it. The last thing I'd do is send her to the BMW dealer as it would have been a brutal bill. I just told her not to shut it off anywhere she didn't want to walk from, so it was dead in the yard when I got home. If I'd caught it quick it likely would have the same starter in it yet. BMWs have the battery in the rear and there's a lug to jump them under the hood. I did with the ground directly to the engine and the starter just clicked. I simply ordered a rebuilt and changed it only to find it giving a slow crank. Suspicious, I jumped from the chassis to the engine and it cranked normally. That's when I went looking for the ground strap and found it was in tough shape. An after the fact Google search found that bad Bimmer ground straps are not uncommon in the heavy salt areas. Maybe the BMW shop would have known about the strap problem and simply replaced it but I have always been leery of dealers and only go to one with a specific request such as to re-flash a module that I don't have the equipment for. I'm not running a repair shop, just keeping my stuff going economically!

I'm impressed by what computers can do for drive ability whilst sometimes cursing them. Traction control being one. Going to dinner from our crew condo in CO the other guy was driving a 2WD rental. It was snowing and he made the mistake of turning uphill and promptly realized his mistake as it wasn't a 4WD. I was impressed at how he was feathering the throttle and getting the car to climb in the snow but he said "it's not me, I have my foot to the floor". That's when we realized not only was the traction control limiting the power, it was applying braking to the slipping wheel(s), something only it could do. There was no way that car could have climbed the hill without it.

Yes, we'll see more EVs, there's enough to notice in LA but still only a tiny minority. I suspect manufacture statements are more to placate the radical left than reality, we'll have to wait and see.

9 hours ago, New Englander said:

I'm impressed by what computers can do for drive ability whilst sometimes cursing them. Traction control being one.

Both traction control and ABS can be very dangerous in off-roading.

I have taken some wild rides because I forgot to turn them off.

Even the off road tailored ABS and Traction control that new 4x4s have should be used with caution.

There are many situations where you need full throttle and brake control to negotiate off pavement travels.

A good example is ABS on a gravel road you will stop much faster if the tires are allowed to lock up and dig in. 

Why can’t people learn anything anymore? Why can’t people learn how to drive? Learn how to do their job? I don’t get it. Computers are fine if they add something. They cannot replace reasoning for the brain dead. Look at all the truckers that can’t shift and can’t be taught how. People can’t back up a trailer anymore, can’t parallel park on their own. Give me a break. I guess their dad didn’t yell at them enough. I detested my dad yelling at me to do it right and quit screwing around, but at least I learned how. 

• Like 3

On 8/10/2021 at 2:58 PM, 101Pathfinder said:

The more "goodies" they add - the more that can go wrong...

I miss my vent windows... But I love my Tundra.

So is that, and manufacturers using some lower quality parts to keep the prices in check and still the prices are up.

The most electronics on tractors are there because government mandate's from bureaucrats who never seen a tractor before and had never drove one.

In my opinion the best tractors were built from the 60's to the early 2000's 

If Case IH re introduce models like the 845XL, 1056XL and 1455XL and give them some updates like more comfort, beter performance and optional more gears it will be a populair tractors because the original one's are still loved and retaining the value and some models the value will increase.

Massey Ferguson had even reintroduced the UK build 35X from the 50's for Africa.