Bolt in 806 hydraulic filter housing

3 minutes ago, Farmer in training said:

And on top a little. I believe it's an ih stamped bolt which is more evidence it came from the inside. 

I better look again to make sure it's an ih bolt before I say that for sure

On 8/7/2021 at 6:00 PM, Farmer in training said:

I'm almost afraid to ask but any ideas how this bolt ended up in there?! I just bought it last year so it's the first time changing the filter. 

543F09BF-E878-46D7-8893-2FF09E5651AF.jpeg

8115EC27-3520-4F92-9E08-97AD0BE126B8.jpeg

Just pulled this one out of a 1206, same wear marks and size. At one time the park pawl came loose and lost at least 2 bolts. As it has 2 newer west Pullman bolts in it. I pulled the shift lid to check and tighten up the shifting. 

20210810_111613.jpg

20210810_111724.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

Just pulled this one out of a 1206, same wear marks and size. At one time the park pawl came loose and lost at least 2 bolts. As it has 2 newer west Pullman bolts in it. I pulled the shift lid to check and tighten up the shifting. 

20210810_111613.jpg

20210810_111724.jpg

Wow. Thank you for that info. I'm so glad I joined this forum. You guys have already figured out a couple things for me. I've really been scratching my head over this

Just now, Farmer in training said:

Wow. Thank you for that info. I'm so glad I joined this forum. You guys have already figured out a couple things for me. I've really been scratching my head over this

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

20210810_111613.jpg

20210810_111724.jpg

So how does it get down into the pump?

1 hour ago, Farmer in training said:

Bolt works loose. Falls down, usually hits the gears, hence the flat spot. Falls to the bottom of the case. The rolls around from the tractor rocking back and forth.  Makes it way clear to the bottom. Then gets sucked up the hydraulic sump tube, and into the filter housing.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

To be sure you need to pull the deck and the range transmission cover.

Probably ^THIS^....but.... 

The only other thing you could try (not sayin' you should) would be to drain the trans and rear (15 gallons+); remove this cover and try to "see" the park pawl mount.  I have never tried this and I don't know if it's even possible.  Flashlight...mirror...boroscope....I don't know.  Pawl is all the way across the other side and up  on the cover (shown "removed" at yellow arrow).  I can't think of any other place you might be able to see it from.  Certainly not from the top link - wrong "chamber" of the rear.

FWD-cover.jpg.007dbfa57b294aaae31ad96954304486.jpg

Otherwise:  If you have front remotes on the pedestal, there are 4 hydraulic lines crossing the range cover (Below the deck - attaching to the tubes from under the seat) that you'll need to remove after the deck is off.  You can do all this top-cover work without draining the trans/rear, so that's certainly worth weighing in the decision.

Lines1.JPG.99ec2b3bd2ca80537154ab94f20dcee9.JPG

I scavenged these pics from another thread on here that was similar, but different.

It's important to "size" that bolt and try to rule-in/rule-out "where" it came from before you start rippin' stuff apart.  (...or...rip away if you'd rather - not my tractor 🙂 )

Mark

• Thanks 1

Ya know - thinking about it a little more - MAYBE, you don't have to drain to remove the FWD cover?  I've never had a reason to take one off "wet".  Even if some ran out when you took the cover off, it would be A LOT less than draining....

19 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

is there no screen to keep large parts from getting sucked into the filter housing in the first place?

Nope.  There's a strainer screen in the pick up for the PTO pump, but that constitutes ALL the filtration that pump gets....  You could easily add one, though....if you were already drained and disassembled for some other reason.  Could have done that on my 1206, but the thought never occurred to me ....

Mark

• Thanks 1

Ok. Thanks for the info guys. It certainly looks like the same bolt that Dan pulled out of a 1206. Any more pointers or info you guys have is welcome. I'm going to the farm again tomorrow so I'll measure it and let you know

14 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I feel like I’ve pulled that side cover off once, without draining oil and without any running out. Hold up dipstick and eyeball the oil level first?  

It was like 35 years ago but I think Dad pulled that cover off the 1066 to install an Elwood axle and I don't remember him draining any oil either.

22 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

If it's full you will lose some oil.

Maybe the old "park on a sidehill" routine would get him there then.  I tend to do this with the other side uphill when I change my filter - just 'cause....

On 8/7/2021 at 7:25 PM, Dan Robinson said:

1/2" x 1 3/4" grade 8?? That'd be one of the 3 that hold the park pawl bracket to the shift lid. 

Yes the bolt is 1/2"x1 3/4". Any more info on getting to the area it came out of would be appreciated 

12 minutes ago, Farmer in training said:

Yes the bolt is 1/2"x1 3/4". Any more info on getting to the area it came out of would be appreciated 

There's only 3 bolts of that size in the transmission, and all 3 hold the bark pawl on. You can pull the side cover off and get a mirror and look to see if they are still in there, or if the bolt is from a previous injury. 

50 minutes ago, Farmer in training said:

Any more info on getting to the area it came out of would be appreciated 

Back up a few posts - there are some pictures and text to hopefully help you.  Remove, and try to look through, the FWD side cover (pictured) to attempt to determine if one or more of the three park-pawl mounting bolts might be missing.  I don't know if you will actually be able to see over to there, or not - I've never tried.

ParkPawl.jpg.42ea1dea935b1a4bcc39e92410f2a638.jpg

If you DO have to pull the cover;  Once you've got the operator platform, hydraulic lines, shift and park-brake linkages, and (possibly) the 'right brake to left brake hydraulic tube' removed, block the park lever UP in the disengaged position.  Clean the area around the cover and especially between the cover and the 3-point casting, so you don't get a bunch of crud falling down into your trans when you lift the cover off.

52 minutes ago, DT361 said:

Back up a few posts - there are some pictures and text to hopefully help you.  Remove, and try to look through, the FWD side cover (pictured) to attempt to determine if one or more of the three park-pawl mounting bolts might be missing.  I don't know if you will actually be able to see over to there, or not - I've never tried.

ParkPawl.jpg.42ea1dea935b1a4bcc39e92410f2a638.jpg

If you DO have to pull the cover;  Once you've got the operator platform, hydraulic lines, shift and park-brake linkages, and (possibly) the 'right brake to left brake hydraulic tube' removed, block the park lever UP in the disengaged position.  Clean the area around the cover and especially between the cover and the 3-point casting, so you don't get a bunch of crud falling down into your trans when you lift the cover off.

Would I need a new gasket for the side cover or the top shift cover if/when I remove them?

On 8/9/2021 at 6:56 PM, Farmer in training said:

So what do I need to do to find out where it came from. I don't really have a clean enough shed (dirt floor) time or experience to split the tractor. Do you guys think it's something serious or can a guy get by like that until I need a clutch or t/a. Or can I look on through top somewere. 

Is there anything abnormal about how it shifts ? any usual noises in any gear ? and park works ok? Wouldn't worry about it use it like you normally  would 

13 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Is there anything abnormal about how it shifts ? any usual noises in any gear ? and park works ok? Wouldn't worry about it use it like you normally  would 

It shifts outstanding. It was upgraded with the 56/66 shifter and it's one of the best shifting tractors on the farm. Everything works great no noises