Bolt in 806 hydraulic filter housing

Yikes!  Ain't but one way "In"....     Seems like, on my 1206, there wasn't even enough gap between the bottom of the pick-up and the belly of the casting for that to get through?  (Memory could easily be failing, though, ...was 15 years ago I was into it...)

Not fond of the "crud" I see on your filter - looks like PTO clutch friction material to me.  If your PTO won't stop spinning, it could be clutch material that flaked/shed, and is "stacking" between the plates.  Locks the PTO on (to some extent)...eats the friction material off the PTO brake-ends over time.

Were you having hydraulic issues, or just doing a routine filter change?

30 minutes ago, DT361 said:

Yikes!  Ain't but one way "In"....     Seems like, on my 1206, there wasn't even enough gap between the bottom of the pick-up and the belly of the casting for that to get through?  (Memory could easily be failing, though, ...was 15 years ago I was into it...)

Not fond of the "crud" I see on your filter - looks like PTO clutch friction material to me.  If your PTO won't stop spinning, it could be clutch material that flaked/shed, and is "stacking" between the plates.  Locks the PTO on (to some extent)...eats the friction material off the PTO brake-ends over time.

Were you having hydraulic issues, or just doing a routine filter change?

Just a routine filter change. I also changed the o-rings in the unloading valve and a leaky auxiliary valve. Ive been using it on a three point mounted brush mower all summer and everything including pto worked well. Used it on a rock picker last fall and this spring and the hydraulics worked very well on that. The only thing that seams week is the power steering. It takes more effort than say a 1066 but maybe that's normal?

I don't recognize that bolt specifically - maybe someone else on here can.  Maybe "size" the bolt and try to find its' origin that way against a parts list?   Possibly something from the 3-pt assembly?  A little small for a ring gear bolt?  Sorry - don't know.

6 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

1/2" x 1 3/4" grade 8?? That'd be one of the 3 that hold the park pawl bracket to the shift lid. 

I left it at the farm but id say it could be as 5/8" I'm going back Monday I'll let you guys know the size then. Thanks 

36 minutes ago, DT361 said:

I don't recognize that bolt specifically - maybe someone else on here can.  Maybe "size" the bolt and try to find its' origin that way against a parts list?   Possibly something from the 3-pt assembly?  A little small for a ring gear bolt?  Sorry - don't know.

Yea thanks. For as good as the pto works I wonder if the previous guy replaced the pto clutches in it and not the hydraulic filter. The air filter was an original ih dated 1986 so it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe wishful thinking but possible. So there's a return pump on the bottom of the hyd. reservoir that picked it up?

15 minutes ago, Farmer in training said:

Yea thanks. For as good as the pto works I wonder if the previous guy replaced the pto clutches in it and not the hydraulic filter. The air filter was an original ih dated 1986 so it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe wishful thinking but possible. So there's a return pump on the bottom of the hyd. reservoir that picked it up?

The tube right above the filter is the suction line.  It turns backward and slopes downward to the bottom - the end of it is angled so it is kind of "flat" with the bottom.  The bend at the top is just above the fluid level - that's why it doesn't siphon/dump all the fluid while you've got it open.

If that bolt is from where Dan Robinson states, I'm thinkin' the only spot to 'sight verify' it is to drain the fluid and remove the FWD cover?  Then mirror and flash light?

Certainly wouldn't be the worst to replace it - remove deck plate, and hydraulic lines if it has them - then just linkages and the cover.  Maybe the brake crossover line, too.  Block the park-pawl lever up in 'released' position for reassembly of top cover to main frame.

To get the filter cover back on, it helps to have a little something to help hold the outside end of the filter up.  Most of them have a bolt, or nut, or something intentionally left there to help hold the filter up temporarily, until you get the cover back in place.

I'll bet thats what that bolt is.  A filter-holder-upper.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

To get the filter cover back on, it helps to have a little something to help hold the outside end of the filter up.  Most of them have a bolt, or nut, or something intentionally left there to help hold the filter up temporarily, until you get the cover back in place.

I'll bet thats what that bolt is.  A filter-holder-upper.

You know I was wondering if that's what it was. That picture I took was somewhat staged because when I saw it my first reaction was to grab it. But it was set lower than that 

Mine has a 3/4 nut in there.  It was there when I got it.  I use it every time I change the filter to help hold it up.  It can't go anywhere, hasn't ever caused a problem. 

And I went through the same worrying as you, the first time I opened it up and found the nut rolling around.  "Where did this come from?!"

2 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Mine has a 3/4 nut in there.  It was there when I got it.  I use it every time I change the filter to help hold it up.  It can't go anywhere, hasn't ever caused a problem. 

And I went through the same worrying as you, the first time I opened it up and found the nut rolling around.  "Where did this come from?!"

Yea I don't know why they don't make that tighter so it doesn't flop down so easy but those are the first two thoughts I had. Why is that filter flipped down like that and where the f did that bolt come from!

I go the the junk yard and buy the filter housing off a 66 series with the round, oring cap so I don’t have to mess with that gaskets on every filter change. usually about 20 bucks if you pull it off yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd say it was put there somehow some way when the fiiter was changed last No way that bolt could just show up in the filter otherwise

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 65806 said:

I go the the junk yard and buy the filter housing off a 66 series with the round, oring cap so I don’t have to mess with that gaskets on every filter change. usually about 20 bucks if you pull it off yourself. 

Good advice thank you 

16 hours ago, 65806 said:

Is that so you don't notice the bolt sitting in the bottom of the cavity when you pull the filter?

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, 65806 said:

This. Worth every penny. Have done this on my 806 & 1256. Makes things a whole lot less messy of a filter change. 

• Thanks 1

Look where  the bolt is, it got sucked up the tube in rear housing, into the filter area and fell down on filter as it entered the filter cavity.

Looks similar to bolts that hold input shaft/pump assembly to the Pto unit. 

But think they may be a bit longer...

• Thanks 1

Once upon a time I found a park pawl pivot dowel (IIRC 3/4 X 2) part way up in the suction tube going to front pump. It had to have made it thru main suction tube> filter housing> and ran against in the curve of suction tube going forward out of filter. Had a thread on here about it. 

• Thanks 1

I had a call from a customer saying he found a short pointed shaft with 2 flat sides in a 1456 filter housing. He was going to go to a tractor pull that day. I had to break the bad news to him that it was part of the differential spider gear cross. I wouldn't have thought it could suck it into the filter cavity but after replacing the diff assembly all was good.

So what do I need to do to find out where it came from. I don't really have a clean enough shed (dirt floor) time or experience to split the tractor. Do you guys think it's something serious or can a guy get by like that until I need a clutch or t/a. Or can I look on through top somewere.