Cdl written test...

mader656

6 hours ago, IKS said:

Do any of your jurisdictions require formal training? 

Since the Hockey Bus /SuperBee crash that killed about half the passengers, Saskatchewan has legislated some very vigorous and expensive driver training with a few exemptions for farmers but still very expensive. 

IIRC The driver went through a stop sign. After the investigation what other issues contributed to the crash?

22 minutes ago, 806 man said:

IIRC The driver went through a stop sign. After the investigation what other issues contributed to the crash?

He admitted being distracted with a loose tarp so wasn't watching properly and some trees were removed at the intersection. He was a very inexperienced driver. 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately we all get complacent at times and most of the time it doesn’t have big consequences. Unfortunately, his had huge ones that will affect lots of people for a long time. Really a sad deal for all. 

At coffee the other day, two guys stated that CDL licenses will soon cost $5,200.00.

One guys said he talked with a local CDL tester and this was verified.

If this is true, it will kill the trucking industry.

I hope this is just a nasty rumor?

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

At coffee the other day, two guys stated that CDL licenses will soon cost $5,200.00.

Probably the cost of school for driving. Around here it’s $6k for 6 week class. Most companies are paying it if you sign on for 6 months otherwise you pay them back. 

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Its true

2022 FMCSA Changes May Impact Your CDL Costs - South Dakota Public Assurance Alliance (sdpaaonline.org)

3 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Trucking, small contractors, school bus drivers, you name it. Not to mention it is going to be just like so many other things, companies willing to pay are going to end up training employees who will leave as soon as their training is over. 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Trucking, small contractors, school bus drivers, you name it. Not to mention it is going to be just like so many other things, companies willing to pay are going to end up training employees who will leave as soon as their training is over. 

If the company is paying your schooling you sign a 6-12 month agreement to stay or you’re liable to reemburse them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

If the company is paying your schooling you sign a 6-12 month agreement to stay or you’re liable to reemburse them.

What I see happening in that situation, is that the person completes their 'training' and on the last day, he/she/it is informed that "due to business conditions, we don't have a place for you, AND you are liable to pay us for your 'training' costs".

Wonder IF these "driver training" courses include such 'skills' as:

How to block the most pumps at the fuel island?

How to back over the most property?

How to snag the truck parked next to yours as you are backing in, or leaving?

What brand TP wraps around the driveline best?

NEVER question your GPS.

What truck stops have the best ethnic food when YOU are feeling homesick?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Surely, but the companies willing to train are going to be inundated with employees with no experience and no intention of staying. Makes for bad business. 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Surely, but the companies willing to train are going to be inundated with employees with no experience and no intention of staying. Makes for bad business. 

Already happening!!

No lie, I stopped in Blackwell Oklahoma Tuesday morning for fuel. Feller, maybe in his late 30’s asked me if #2 diesel was “normal diesel fluid”! He goes on and asked what I was hauling, and how much an hour I was making. Told him I own both truck and trailer and this month I was sitting on about negative $300/hour. I hadn’t turned in any paperwork yet, and had a $30,000 bill for my motor. 
He went on to ask if he could drive a truck like mine with a class A license. I said sure, but don’t start where I can watch. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Already happening!!

No lie, I stopped in Blackwell Oklahoma Tuesday morning for fuel. Feller, maybe in his late 30’s asked me if #2 diesel was “normal diesel fluid”! He goes on and asked what I was hauling, and how much an hour I was making. Told him I own both truck and trailer and this month I was sitting on about negative $300/hour. I hadn’t turned in any paperwork yet, and had a $30,000 bill for my motor. 
He went on to ask if he could drive a truck like mine with a class A license. I said sure, but don’t start where I can watch. 

I suppose everyone has to start somewhere, but thats sure scary. 

I went through this 1.5 years ago. Paid $4,500 for class, paid $15/hr for the guy to sit in class/drive. Paid him for about 100 hrs driving empty then my driver would drive loaded.  Guy couldn't back up, Couldn't keep it between the lines cause he was a gamer and that was how he drove his race car.😣 Finally decided he could go on his own, 1st time out picked up load went to job unloaded , then decided not to reload in Seattle on the way back cause It was late and he wanted to go home to play games. That was the end of his game for me.

• Sad 1

The local school bus company in S.F. is 20 drivers short.

Routes are being combined and running late due to these driver shortages.

This is after they have the office staff also driving routes. 

How would anyone believe that further regulation will get more drivers to apply.

It appears they are intentionally over regulating to disrupt the supply chain.

• Like 3

The driving schools lobbied for the passage of this law to fill their pockets. Got tired of us farmers and others that could drive and go in and pass tests.  An instructor from a school told me this 4 years ago when I took my son in to get his cdl. Funny thing is he had three students their none passed the pretrip and backing part, my son aced that and the road test. He asked what school I was with I said the “he learned at 10 years old from  me like I did from my dad. Guy grunted and walked away….

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

The driving schools lobbied for the passage of this law to fill their pockets. Got tired of us farmers and others that could drive and go in and pass tests.  An instructor from a school told me this 4 years ago when I took my son in to get his cdl. Funny thing is he had three students their none passed the pretrip and backing part, my son aced that and the road test. He asked what school I was with I said the “he learned at 10 years old from  me like I did from my dad. Guy grunted and walked away….

I hope more and more VoTec programs are teaching this. 

I’ve been over the road for two years, and I am no longer amazed at some of the stupid things I see other drivers do. Just the other week near my home a truck with a 53’ van trailer tried to do a U-turn on a two lane road that was probably less than 35’ grass to grass. As any of us can logically figure, that didn’t go well. Four weeks of classes can teach you how to do a proper pre trip, and the laws concerning trucking. But it can’t teach you common sense, spatial awareness, nor many other things that we simply learn from a lifetime of growing up on the farm or around equipment in general.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brewcrew said:

we simply learn from a lifetime of growing up on the farm or around equipment in general.

See this in fire dept. all the time. We that did have no idea what advantage we have in general. 

• Like 2

The son in law works for a contractor doing a underground wire and cable stuff mostly. Has taken a lot of overtime to teach the off the street boys how to pass CDL and of course ride along to DMV. After the last accident they had he is going full time teaching truck driving for the company. To help with retaining drives once licensed they may only do a class B rather than a C. As most is 450 Fords and boring machines on heavy car trailer, well over the 26,000 but not full on semis, and no air brakes.   

About 15 years ago 2 new drives for one of the big nation wide outfits gave me the best show. And then did not want any help getting out of the trouble they got in. Probably did not help that it was a male and female. Yelling and screaming is what got my attention, as I checked thing in the vineyard. They had room to turn around but a drainage ditch made it so a long semi could get high centered. But I offered to unlock a gate so they could back straight up the extra they needed to made the turn to stay out of the low place, but no they where fine. Only took most of a hour for them to make a u turn after being 15 mile down the wrong road.

23 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I hope more and more VoTec programs are teaching this. 

No, I hope we get ten cents worth of sanity and abolish this program.

I remember when it took a very short test and a drive with the examiner and you were a bus driver.

There were no major accidents, as is now.

Another area of government trying to fix an issue that is not broke.

In-state drivers should not need federal licenses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I remember when it took a very short test and a drive with the examiner and you were a bus driver.

I ordinarily would agree with this sentiment. However i see many “stay at home parents” picking up the school bus gig. Makes good sense, fits perfectly in with the kids schedule and is filling a need. But i think before someone accustomed to a minivan or a Prius gets behind the wheel of a 72 passenger bus full of kids they need more training than an hour with an instructor. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mader656 said:

wasn't detailed enough on the pretrip.

Heck when I took mine (about 6 years ago) they failed me. Said I took to much time and went into to much detail.