Cdl written test...

mader656

I never even cracked the manual- my advice is type “free cdl practice tests” into google, take them a half dozen times the day before and go take the test. Most of the questions were verbatim to what I found online in SD anyway.  

The worst part about the driving test was the alley dock because I had my 5’ hay extension on the rear and it was hard to judge when I was within distance of the cones.  I had to use my get out and look. 

The Federal sticking it's nose in the licensing  was to make all 50 states the same but don't think they got there yet. But was told the same a AKwelder stated and the reason I let the license go a few years ago. Unless I haul the neighbors cattle I fall under the farmers provision even in a non friendly to farmers state. Maybe I could of shopped doctors, but the one I went to wanted sleep apnea test because of age and weight. Nobody could give me a cost, and I thought license was good for class C without medical card. My insurance agent told me no medical card and had asked to renew a class A was no license, and NO COVERAGE. So I hot footed in and took test for class C.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:51 AM, Sledgehammer said:

Agreed. I’ve been thinking about getting my motorcycle endorsement and I don’t have a bike. Just want to get it. 

I took it at 16 and only clicked the box since. Never tested again.

• Like 1

Been taking practice test online

One question was what do you do if you are being tailgated...

I was a little upset full exhaust brake was not a option....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, mader656 said:

Been taking practice test online

One question was what do you do if you are being tailgated...

I was a little upset full exhaust brake was not a option....

I always thought “remove the threat” was a good answer but I never found it 😊

• Like 2

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#cdl_medical_faqs.asp

It is supposed to be the same for all states, but I'm not saying it is.  Interesting that in VA all Government employees are exempt from the medical card, per the FMCA rules in the link, but VDOT requires all their people to have one anyway. The leadership there felt that they were as much a trucking company as a private one so opted for the more stringent requirement.

20 hours ago, ZG6E said:

The worst part about the driving test was the alley dock because I had my 5’ hay extension on the rear and it was hard to judge when I was within distance of the cones.  I had to use my get out and look. 

I always thought that it was funny that you got one "try again" and one "get out and look" for the alley dock. I know it's probably to speed up the rest and keep people from taking too many trys at it but in a real life situation you're going to take as many trys as it takes to back in. You're not going to just pull away after two attempts and say "well, I guess I can't make it".

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I always thought that it was funny that you got one "try again" and one "get out and look" for the alley dock. I know it's probably to speed up the rest and keep people from taking too many trys at it but in a real life situation you're going to take as many trys as it takes to back in. You're not going to just pull away after two attempts and say "well, I guess I can't make it".

I have seen drivers say just that.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I always thought “remove the threat” was a good answer but I never found it 😊

Drift to the shoulder and spray some gravel?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Drift to the shoulder and spray some gravel?

Whooops 😁

or accidentally release hand full of busted spark plug porcelain out the window.......

I keep my class A and haven’t had a med card in years. Don’t need it to drive in state, or even into a neighboring state if it’s farm stuff. If I wanted to drive all ver again all I would need to d9 is get the med card and m good to go, of course the is in SD so, I’m sure he rules are easier here

38 minutes ago, DaveinSD said:

I keep my class A and haven’t had a med card in years. Don’t need it to drive in state, or even into a neighboring state if it’s farm stuff. If I wanted to drive all ver again all I would need to d9 is get the med card and m good to go, of course the is in SD so, I’m sure he rules are easier here

That was what I had done too. But about 2014 with the new federal stuff that changed according to my insurance agent. I could become a real problem if you have a accident and no insurance. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2021 at 1:26 PM, oleman said:

Every time I get sit down in the seat of our Gillig transit bus based RV, I am thankful for being able to operate it without the class A license with a B endorsement. Yes, it has air brakes and a 30,000# GVW.

And right here is the reason every truck driver hates rvs

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 5:29 PM, Ihfan4life said:

Famous last words….

you don’t need it, yet!

What this says is fact, I haven't needed my 3 with air in 25 years but I lkeep it up, biggest thing is the yearly med check because of my age.

On 10/15/2021 at 11:56 AM, vtfireman85 said:

How did you make out Mader? 

Well I kinda a had to resedule for a later date.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 12:15 AM, 1466IH said:

If anyone is thinking about getting a cdl you better get it before February 7th 2022. After that date you must pay to attend a truck driving school before you can even go to state office to take the written test. Here is the link directly from the FMCSA website

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/entry-level-driver-training-eldt

Been that way in WA. State for 8-10 years, Tired of all the truck driving school trucks running in my area. Some reason they think they can trespass on private property. I sent an email complaining, Just stupid the way they block entrance to business. Teaching bad habits.

8232D86B-562B-40EB-8752-B9ACD85E1B01.jpeg

I feel like this whole thing is going to backfire, already it is impossible to hire drivers, etc, now they have to go to extensive, expensive school. Not going to be good in the long run. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I feel like this whole thing is going to backfire, already it is impossible to hire drivers, etc, now they have to go to extensive, expensive school. Not going to be good in the long run. 

It is already not good!!!  These 2 week trained steering wheel holders have no business on the roads!

They can barely go ahead, let alone back up. Just look at the right side of the trucks and all the bent over sign posts!

• Like 1

A couple of months ago at a factory we build/modify parts for I was there on a Sunday fixing some parts and the lady that runs shipping came over and said I need a favor. She said their are 2 trucks out there and they can't back into the dock and asked me to back them in. I told her sure, get all of them out of the trucks. (Bosnian drivers) The smell in those trucks would gag you. I washed my hands about 5 times afterwards.

• Sad 2

• 5 weeks later...

Well finally got the test took and passed...it's a darn good thing I'm a good test taker after studying a sum total of 45 minutes....

• Like 3

Do any of your jurisdictions require formal training? 

Since the Hockey Bus /SuperBee crash that killed about half the passengers, Saskatchewan has legislated some very vigorous and expensive driver training with a few exemptions for farmers but still very expensive. 

37 minutes ago, IKS said:

Do any of your jurisdictions require formal training? 

Since the Hockey Bus /SuperBee crash that killed about half the passengers, Saskatchewan has legislated some very vigorous and expensive driver training with a few exemptions for farmers but still very expensive. 

As of 2/22 formal training will be required.