Cdl written test...

mader656

It's been 20+ yrs here too, but one thing I remember from the first time I did my written test for a MN CDL, they tossed in some non pertinent questions about child safety seats and DUI laws that I hadn't studied up on... Didn't miss a single question on the CDL info but ended up failing due to the questions I wasn't prepared for. 

Point being, you want to browse over the general drivers license manual as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Always easier to keep something then to let it go and have to get back. 

I have kept my motorcycle endorsement even though I don't have a bike. Guess I did have that bucket list Glide for a few years. Nice to not have to go through taking the tests again. 

I guess I'm the extreme example of that. I got my chauffeurs license when I was 16 in 1977 and was "grandfathered" into a class A CDL when that came about. The only thing I use it for now is to move the CDL class vehicles into the shop. In our landscape organization, there are over 100 people and 4 have CDL's. 2 of us are over 60. But, there are only 2 vehicles left that are over 26,000 gross and one of those will be downsized in the next year or so.  2 smaller trucks with drivers out doing a job beats 1 big truck sitting in the yard because it has no driver.

I still have my motorpickle endorsement too, though I couldn't ride one now with my bad shoulder, and may not ever be able to, but I'm not giving it up.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Just did it Monday, they beat the crap out of air brakes, then they beat the crap out of air brakes some more, I found  it helpful, in the VT manual it gives what sections to read based on type of license. each section has a series of little quizzes that “might be on the test” if you can answer them (go back and double check yourself) you should be good. Some questions are trick questions with more than one right answer, they aren’t interested in logic, they want verbatim.  
its bloody dry reading but there’s no substitute for it… unfortunately. I was going for class A w/air Brake and trailer endorsement, ill have to go back for manual transmission. 

Annoying cause I don't need air brake...

14 hours ago, MarkG said:

If it’s personal use check if your state has an agricultural license. Easier to get and many laws don’t apply to truckers hauling ag products.

Need interstate and commercial 

Ag exempt for farmers not farm service....

11 minutes ago, mader656 said:

I would suggest getting your air brake endorsement anyhow. It won’t cost any more to get or maintain, but it would certainly cost more to get after the fact.

• Like 1

Every time I get sit down in the seat of our Gillig transit bus based RV, I am thankful for being able to operate it without the class A license with a B endorsement. Yes, it has air brakes and a 30,000# GVW.

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

States may vary, there is some on hydraulic brakes in the manual but not as extensive, it’ll be a short test if you aren’t going for an air brake endorsement. 

2 hours ago, mader656 said:

You may not need it, but in the event life takes a turn you have more options, or your business gets bigger

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mader656 said:

I need class a but not air brake... I just want to be legal when I tow with my 5500...

Get your air brake when you take alot easier to get it all together.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, busted knuckles said:

Something to keep in mind is that they are sticklers on the pre-drive walk around inspection. They want you to explain as you walk around the vehicle, each an every component of your visual inspection.  

Citydot wine grape grower next door wanted to haul his New Holland crawler tractor to second vineyard 5 miles away. So bought a diesel dually and the tandem duel wheel gooseneck.  Went to take the driving test, on the walk around the examiner started hinting about things finally what should you be looking for?  Dumb axx says it is a new truck less than 2000 miles it's good. End of test. FAIL 

Mader just relaxes you can do the air brake stuff. I was always the same as you never really used it. I don't know if I could of got around it or not. On renewal I had to take written and was not expecting it, just about passed but was 1 or 2 to many misses. Came back after a week or what every no trouble passing.

2 hours ago, ray54 said:

Citydot wine grape grower next door wanted to haul his New Holland crawler tractor to second vineyard 5 miles away. So bought a diesel dually and the tandem duel wheel gooseneck.  Went to take the driving test, on the walk around the examiner started hinting about things finally what should you be looking for?  Dumb axx says it is a new truck less than 2000 miles it's good. End of test. FAIL 

Mader just relaxes you can do the air brake stuff. I was always the same as you never really used it. I don't know if I could of got around it or not. On renewal I had to take written and was not expecting it, just about passed but was 1 or 2 to many misses. Came back after a week or what every no trouble passing.

I dont mind the written air brake test part... Im a really good test taker....

I just dont have the air brake rig to cdl test in. 

I don't ever see myself needing to tow more than my 5500 can @35000 lb. At least not anywhere dot would see anyways...

16 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Still need combination and air brake even for ag just isn’t a cdl for commercial trucking. 

Here is the issue.....

Jacob every state is different.  Here a Ag exempt license is, you dont do anything and go drive a truck with air and 53'.  No test etc.  Just like the 86 yo with a 48' 500hp air brake motorhome.

Haz is pretty similar st to st i suppose.  I got a cls A years ago an keep it.  Tank, dbls etc....dropped Haz.  But i really dont need it.  But it 5500 for the class to even get to the written test now in WA.  

Get online n bone up.  In mT you have issues with the 5500?  

9 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Here is the issue.....

Jacob every state is different.  Here a Ag exempt license is, you dont do anything and go drive a truck with air and 53'.  No test etc.  Just like the 86 yo with a 48' 500hp air brake motorhome.

Haz is pretty similar st to st i suppose.  I got a cls A years ago an keep it.  Tank, dbls etc....dropped Haz.  But i really dont need it.  But it 5500 for the class to even get to the written test now in WA.  

Get online n bone up.  In mT you have issues with the 5500?  

Haven't yet but, id like to get a 35k 40 foot trailer and will with that... 

If I look farmer enough I can fly under the radar but vehicle adds look good and flag you with dot...

Also why I want to get in before I need the class...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mader656 said:

Haven't yet but, id like to get a 35k 40 foot trailer and will with that... 

If I look farmer enough I can fly under the radar but vehicle adds look good and flag you with dot...

Also why I want to get in before I need the class...

Oh I get the get it before harder!  My brother got his the year before the class became required.  I see if you license it for that then you would be needing one anyway.

We lic our pickups for 30k for the cattle trailer.  Officer told me 1x "the sticker is 10k and I was 29k".  So...the lic us cheaper than a ticket.  Only time in 10 years of hauling own animals inland either ones been pulled over.  An here its a mystery, 3 cops 3 stories, if as a personal farmer hauling personal property in a personal truck if we should stop at scales etc.  We dont, nore does anyone else I know.  The jockey fella does but hes commercial then.

10 hours ago, 806 man said:

I've had a CDL since late 70's when did the endorsments get thrown on the mix?  I thought CDL A Lic. was AFT?

Always been endorsements for doubles, tanker, hazmat.

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Always been endorsements for doubles, tanker, hazmat.

Not to mention, vt at least, trailer/fifth wheel/ manual trans/air brake . If you don't test with them, you cant get endorsed. 

couple of questions. live in wisconsin, our township truck single axle international, 5 or 6 yard box, mostly for salt and sand in winter, it has air brakes, just recently our  employee, (only have one) for township had leg amputated, truck is automatic, he is 62 and heard he has or had diabetes, residents keep telling us he needs to renew his cdl every 2 years? again dont know *( claim dumb farmer status). also residents keep harping about fed med card. again same claim, it seems you cant  ask questions at a monthly meeting, also i was told in an emergency i can drive truck? i keep thinking i should get a cdl, but then i see and hear a lot of guys that work for the large farms around here claim you dont need a cdl, there are 40 foot trailers filled to the top full of corn silage 6k gallon manure tankers. no license, farm fuel and so on, back to our grader operator, he does a good job sitting in the grader all day, (50 miles of gravel roads to do) just was curious about cdl, leg amputee, and diabetes questions, i am sire the diabetes had something to do with leg amputuation, but you cant ask, he was off for 4 months, got it off just below knee, thanks,

2 hours ago, pt756 said:

couple of questions. live in wisconsin, our township truck single axle international, 5 or 6 yard box, mostly for salt and sand in winter, it has air brakes, just recently our  employee, (only have one) for township had leg amputated, truck is automatic, he is 62 and heard he has or had diabetes, residents keep telling us he needs to renew his cdl every 2 years? again dont know *( claim dumb farmer status). also residents keep harping about fed med card. again same claim, it seems you cant  ask questions at a monthly meeting, also i was told in an emergency i can drive truck? i keep thinking i should get a cdl, but then i see and hear a lot of guys that work for the large farms around here claim you dont need a cdl, there are 40 foot trailers filled to the top full of corn silage 6k gallon manure tankers. no license, farm fuel and so on, back to our grader operator, he does a good job sitting in the grader all day, (50 miles of gravel roads to do) just was curious about cdl, leg amputee, and diabetes questions, i am sire the diabetes had something to do with leg amputuation, but you cant ask, he was off for 4 months, got it off just below knee, thanks,

There are exceptions for emergency work such as clearing snow from roads. The language I have read is pretty loose, probably intentionally. But I interpreted it to say that you or I can assist cleaning roads without a cdl, but the guy hired to do it full time should have one. Regarding medical card- I’ve heard that you don’t (or didn’t) need it unless crossing state lines. But I couldn’t get my cdl without one, and I got a letter from the state revoking my entire driver’s license until I sent in adequate proof of my medical card renewal.

Regarding the written test, the best way is to take practice tests online prior to taking the real thing. Pass the cld test .com is the website I used when I got my cdl four years ago.

In regards to February of 2022, I heard that about a month ago. Actually it was supposed to go into effect in 2020 but was pushed back due to covid. I can see the logic behind it, make all the training standardized and conducted by licensed instructors. I think I'm the long run its going to turn away a lot of drivers. The last I heard, truck driving school cost $4500.00. I don't know that I would have shelled out that kind of money to get my cdl, at the time I couldn't afford to. We are already short on drivers, let's make it harder for those who want one to get it.

3 hours ago, brewcrew said:

Regarding medical card- I’ve heard that you don’t (or didn’t) need it unless crossing state lines. But I couldn’t get my cdl without one,

Intrastate Excepted which as i recall limits you to essentially day travel with  in state stuff, my manual is out in the truck, i didn't read all the exceptions to not needing a medical card but it was pretty limiting. 

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Intrastate Excepted which as i recall limits you to essentially day travel with  in state stuff, my manual is out in the truck, i didn't read all the exceptions to not needing a medical card but it was pretty limiting. 

Unless your in a state like Alaska. If you have a CDL you must have a medical card on file with DMV or your license is suspended.

but your state may vary