Long Distance Hay Buying

Cdfarabaugh

6 years ago I put an ad on HayMap, and up until this year completely forgot it was still there.  Actually gained 4 customers by  them getting in contact with me.  They are all local and smaller quantities.  Last night I was contacted from Texas on someone looking for larger quantities hay, and their story was their normal western supplier dried up.  

This of course brings up the scam alarm, but the fellow seems to know enough about hay that he is legitimately in the business.  

My question is IF (and thats a big if) something gets worked out, how does one normally get paid.  Obviously out of state checks are too risky.  Probably like to see cash, but thats tough to get anymore too.  Just seeing if anyone else has experience doing business like this.  

I would just talk to him. Tell him he is a first time customer and you would prefer to be paid 1/2 up front or wire you half of it up front after the first load shows up.  I have been where you are and didn't like it. I sold about 20 loads to a guy once as a first time buyer and didn't see one cent until he was done. The man paid me in full the afternoon of his last load. I did ask his hauler of his reputation to which he confirmed he was a good guy. 

The only other thing I can think of is ask him for some references. I would want his other source he said dried up. If they give you the same story then your probably alright. I know if it were me and you asked me for references I wouldn't hesitate to send you a few phone numbers. 

29 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Wouldn't their be alot of buying options between Texas and here?????  

Kinda what I thought, and why I'm leery.  On the other hand we sell a pile to a guy that hauls it down to virginia and Kentucky.......and lots of hay grown down there.  

Maybe good small squares are getting that difficult to come by......

2 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Kinda what I thought, and why I'm leery.  On the other hand we sell a pile to a guy that hauls it down to virginia and Kentucky.......and lots of hay grown down there.  

Maybe good small squares are getting that difficult to come by......

Small squares?! It’s tough enough to find big squares. We typically haul from Minnesota, the dakotas, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. This time last year I’d hauled at least four or five loads, mostly back to Iowa. This year I have yet to haul hay. Most of those areas are dry or worse, and I’ve heard the guys in Idaho are looking at buying themselves!

There are alot of folks here who are looking long distance for hay.... I know folks whos ditches are out of water now instead of October

I'd certified funds or maybe escrow with a banker....

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

Funny how you guys are saying you don’t have hay. I’d bet I could put my fingers on over 1000 acres of first cut hay still standing here (Vt) 

I haven’t seen this much late hay - ever! Unreal how much things have changed 

our first cut was finished late,  late frost, too wet dry, but was actually 1/3 ahead in the beginning .

now down 4" on rain 2nd is 1/3 if any and going to weeds,esp hot dry the crabgrass takes over and the cidiot horsies cant have it.

out of pasture ,will start feeding 3 mo early AGAIN and cidiot renter mowed off the good fields, left 45 ac of weeds on our red step child farm

i have also heard that there is a shortage is spots, we would like to sell some 3rd crop, but this time of the year impossible to get dry, i told a guy the other day if they would be able to wrap them, we usually get them down to about 25 percent, we are in central wis, and the hay dealers around here are getting calls from where they usually get their hay, its short he was from western minn

5 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Funny how you guys are saying you don’t have hay. I’d bet I could put my fingers on over 1000 acres of first cut hay still standing here (Vt) 

I haven’t seen this much late hay - ever! Unreal how much things have changed 

Why is that?  Nobody need it or the weather????   

I got 1st made in may.............Was crap.  Just put up some really, really nice second here around home, and have some more to drop and I haven't been up to that place recently, but thanks to the previous renters, it is probably crap as well.  Next year that will be corn.

26 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Why is that?  Nobody need it or the weather????   

I got 1st made in may.............Was crap.  Just put up some really, really nice second here around home, and have some more to drop and I haven't been up to that place recently, but thanks to the previous renters, it is probably crap as well.  Next year that will be corn.

Between farms going out, and an abundance of good early weather, I’m thinking it isn’t needed? 

This sounds fishy to me. We're covered up with hay here in Arkansas. Nobody from Texas coming up for hay and they come here when hay is short.

I checked Craigslist for hay in Texarkana, Dallas and college Station. There is plenty of hay listed for sale.

Be careful.

Thx-Ace 

We send 10k small squares to Florida from Michigan every year. We sell to a broker, they take the risk and have to collect. They are 3rd and 4th generation doing it, so they likely have some good ties in Florida, but I am glad we get our checks from them.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:00 AM, Cdfarabaugh said:

6 years ago I put an ad on HayMap, and up until this year completely forgot it was still there.  Actually gained 4 customers by  them getting in contact with me.  They are all local and smaller quantities.  Last night I was contacted from Texas on someone looking for larger quantities hay, and their story was their normal western supplier dried up.  

This of course brings up the scam alarm, but the fellow seems to know enough about hay that he is legitimately in the business.  

My question is IF (and thats a big if) something gets worked out, how does one normally get paid.  Obviously out of state checks are too risky.  Probably like to see cash, but thats tough to get anymore too.  Just seeing if anyone else has experience doing business like this.  

In E WA the growers who sell us hay overwhelmingly require 90% down before 1st truck leaves yard.  We think it is ridiculous but there have been pleanty of shady hay brokers in the past so they want to cover the butts.  So asking for a big down or pre pay here is 100% not abnormal.  Esp with larger stacks.

An from my contacts in the SW.....he aint joking.  They are dry dry and out of feed

On 8/6/2021 at 7:32 PM, acem said:

This sounds fishy to me. We're covered up with hay here in Arkansas. Nobody from Texas coming up for hay and they come here when hay is short.

I checked Craigslist for hay in Texarkana, Dallas and college Station. There is plenty of hay listed for sale.

Be careful.

Thx-Ace 

Its the west side of state thats struggling.  In NM i seen a feed test feom associate.. "weeds".  Was all they grew on few pivots since wells didnt have enough

6 hours ago, acem said:

It's still fishy to me.

Texas is not suffering from drought. Check this link.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?TX

Arkansas, Oklahoma, and at least east Texas is awash in rain and hay. There is no reason to ship hay from Pennsylvania to Texas.

Thx-Ace 

Could be a scam , might not. Some of the Texas hay might have shipped west to drought places for higher dollars than it was selling for in Texas. Hay often moves south here and some southern hay moves further south. We have gotten hay from a jockey and it came from out west on a train. Been ten years ago but if I remember it was $1 per RFV if I recall.

I am one of the guys that could use more hay. There is hay local (oat. or mixed oat, wheat barley of horse quality) yet but $300+ a ton. Hopefully a broker can get me alfalfa with "weeds" a bit cheaper but my barn needs work first.

I have clicked on hay adds on Facebook  for local stuff. Now if I look hay adds from Texas east to New England most round bales, which are fine with me. One I just looked at had a shipping price of $3.75 arrive Aug 13 to 17. For mixed grass in Texas at $35 a bale. I would take a chance on the hay at that price if it would ship for that.  I don't really know FB or buy from Marketplace but kids have grandma set up to see pics of the grandkids as the 2 of my kids with kids us it. But now that I looked just now had to teas it bit by adding round bales to just hay for sale. They even have looking for things less than 40 miles away which I click and more  stuff over 40 miles appears. If I ask for Tractors for sale, I get 75% toy tractors all over the world. If find a local tractor, I have not found any way for sure find it again. Generally putting sellers name in works, and I figure they may have sold it only to have come back weeks latter. I thing to help make you crazy if your not already and trying to buy using FB. 

I can help you find hay round here. I don't have any to sell but it's stacked up like cordwood on some of my neighbors places. Quality is off due to all the rain. Grass hay only here, no alfalfa.

Can you get rice straw? I've fed it during a drought before. It's not very good hay but it beats a snowball. It may not make a turd but it will push one out!

Thx-Ace 

5 hours ago, bitty said:

Could be a scam , might not. Some of the Texas hay might have shipped west to drought places for higher dollars than it was selling for in Texas. Hay often moves south here and some southern hay moves further south. We have gotten hay from a jockey and it came from out west on a train. Been ten years ago but if I remember it was $1 per RFV if I recall.

Its strange just how much of a long distance business the hay market is becoming.  Used to have all our hay moved within the state.  1st cutting was bought by a jockey out of shippensburg who supplied horse tracks in PA and Maryland.  Late cutting hay all went to the Cove area to smaller dairies.  Most of those have gone under and no big dairies buy hay in small squares off guys like us.  I think almost 90% of what we make to sell  goes out of state now for horses probably about 5-6000 bales worth through jockeys.  Amazing how they even buy up the "high test" stuff.  

10 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Its strange just how much of a long distance business the hay market is becoming.  Used to have all our hay moved within the state.  1st cutting was bought by a jockey out of shippensburg who supplied horse tracks in PA and Maryland.  Late cutting hay all went to the Cove area to smaller dairies.  Most of those have gone under and no big dairies buy hay in small squares off guys like us.  I think almost 90% of what we make to sell  goes out of state now for horses probably about 5-6000 bales worth through jockeys.  Amazing how they even buy up the "high test" stuff.  

Depends on region.  1000s of acres here that were hay/ grass are now berries.  In CA nut trees etc.  Most places have same amt of herds to feed just bigger farms. So now we need to bring hay from outside.  Here alfalfa has been imported from e wa for 60 years.  We cant grow a decent stand.  Neighbor had reasonable sucess with a new variety last few seasons.  But yield still low vs grass.  We have gotten hay from Alberta.  2 days away.  Korea and Japan buy a huge portion from E WA and OR now so we need to go more east to Idaho and 1x Utah.  Goofy world

Archived