IH 584 pto

Hey guys I recently bought an IH584 utility tractor. It was split to replace the transmission lube pump. I bought it and replaced the pump and put it all back together with some help from online diagrams. Now the pto doesn't work. When the engine is turned off I can turn the pto shaft a half turn till it stops with a metallic clank. Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

7 hours ago, BBurky1992 said:

Hey guys I recently bought an IH584 utility tractor. It was split to replace the transmission lube pump. I bought it and replaced the pump and put it all back together with some help from online diagrams. Now the pto doesn't work. When the engine is turned off I can turn the pto shaft a half turn till it stops with a metallic clank. Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

5 hours ago, catman13 said:

it will turn some with the motor off , it will turn very little with motor running but will turn back to the stop when you let go..

what does it do when you engage the lever with the motor running 

There is a brake plate (item 26) that has a tab that can catch on part of the housing Item 31 is spring loaded against the brake plate when the PTO is disengaged. It is made so the shaft can be rotated to align with a drive shaft. Clever design. 

If the PTO will not engage there are several possibilities.

First check that the linkage is properly installed and pulling the PTO spool all the way up.

If that is in order you need to connect a gauge to see if you are developing pressure.

Doncaster PTO parts snip.JPG

I assume you have a service manual since you split the 584 to replace the lube pump?
In the service manual I have there is a procedure for adjusting the PTO lever and linkage to get the total spool movement of 1.14 to 1.18 Inches and hydraulic pressure checks on a T-fitting by the MCV to be 260-270 PSI.
Have you performed the pressure checks?

I doubt a manual was involved. Those lube pumps are replaced by removing mcv and pto cover. Not splitting. At least in the manual I remember. Any way as I understand it. He bought it split and then put it together. Besides spool adjustment and pressure check. Do all other functions operate correctly?

When our PTO stopped working in the 464 it was because the clutch pack was worn out especially the thrust washer.

The shaft should rotate with the engine off, if it doesn't I would think there is something wrong in the idler gear area.

There is nothing in the hydraulics to stop the IPTO shaft from rotating in a mechanical tractor if you have a hydraulic gizmo machine you are on your own.

Take the big cover off on the right side and take a look around.  BUT you gotta drain the rear gear box.

Put a pipe wrench on the IPTO shaft and make sure it will turn 360 in some direction to determine hydraulic or mechanical issue.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it!!

Good luck with your machine, the 464, best tractor I have ever owned.

18 hours ago, catman13 said:

it will turn some with the motor off , it will turn very little with motor running but will turn back to the stop when you let go..

what does it do when you engage the lever with the motor running 

It doesn't move. I don't hear any extra noise inside the transmission like anything is trying. The linkage seems to be good as it pushes the plunger all the way down. Next is a pressure gauge to see if that works