My friend finally got the Yote that was killing his chickens.

vtfireman85

He called me, said it was finally time to get a real gun. What did I recommend. I found him a couple , he ended up going with the. Ruger American Predator in .308 next day i get this picture. Doesn’t look real big but evidently had the taste for chicken. 

8FB83D2D-BBAC-4F91-A98A-66EC7C5C7DCD.jpeg

• Like 7

I think it’s funny, i used to have to go kill cows for him and his uncle, he seems to be coming around. 

55 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

He called me, said it was finally time to get a real gun. What did I recommend. I found him a couple , he ended up going with the. Ruger American Predator in .308 next day i get this picture. Doesn’t look real big but evidently had the taste for chicken. 

A .308 for that poor half starved chicken thief pup😳

7e9ca6b0-abf8-4161-91e5-f49ba7edf4f9_text.gif.3b6b434a0bfbccabc852f2f24cccc964.gif

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

7e9ca6b0-abf8-4161-91e5-f49ba7edf4f9_text.gif.3b6b434a0bfbccabc852f2f24cccc964.gif

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

🤣 nothing is too big when dealing with certain critters, I’d us a 50 cal on rats if that’s all I had, I hate rats, not scared of them just hate them with a passion

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

Got the job done I guess 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Got the job done I guess 

Just tryin my hand at some halfazzed humor.🙄

Always think about where the bullet will end up.

He looks pretty rural.

I agree a .308 is good for killin what needs kilt.

22 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Just tryin my hand at some halfazzed humor.🙄

Always think about where the bullet will end up.

He looks pretty rural.

I agree a .308 is good for killin what needs kilt.

I tried to talk him into a .17, then out of 6.5 due to ammunition availability. .308 is still reasonably easy to find around here..223 is my go to for such activities. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

So, I guess you'd find a .458 Win Mag a bit excessive for groundhog hunting too.  😉

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I tried to talk him into a .17, then out of 6.5 due to ammunition availability. .308 is still reasonably easy to find around here..223 is my go to for such activities. 

I’m way out of the realm of the serious shooters on this site, was a thread a week or so back on the topic and I almost replied about my love for .308 but didn’t because I felt it wasn’t the place, but reading this from you VT, .17, 6.5 or.308, that’s not the kind of suggestions you usually hear, lol, definitely overkill but with a good back stop not unreasonable, I pondered over a.223 or .270 but I don’t use a big rifle often or shoot more than a couple hundred yards at most so I went with .308 for my “big” gun

I had a nuisance stray Tom cat hanging around years back, didn’t mind him other than he was beating the tar out of my mousing Tom, one night I saw the offending Tom and first reached for the .22 but then worried about effectiveness and possible suffering so chose the .30/.30, no suffering 

I mostly shoot at pigeons with a 12 gauge, or chipmunks with.22 bird shot, I really like my shotguns, have a semi, pump, a single shot and a side by side, love my crack barrels the best  seem to be more deadly to me

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BoilerRed said:

So, I guess you'd find a .458 Win Mag a bit excessive for groundhog hunting too.  😉

How badazz are the groundhogs in your part of the world🦏😏😄

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I think it’s funny, i used to have to go kill cows for him and his uncle, he seems to be coming around. 

I could see that, especially if those cows were pets before becoming food…

7 hours ago, IHKeith said:

I’m way out of the realm of the serious shooters on this site, was a thread a week or so back on the topic and I almost replied about my love for .308 but didn’t because I felt it wasn’t the place, but reading this from you VT, .17, 6.5 or.308, that’s not the kind of suggestions you usually hear, lol, definitely overkill but with a good back stop not unreasonable, I pondered over a.223 or .270 but I don’t use a big rifle often or shoot more than a couple hundred yards at most so I went with .308 for my “big” gun

I had a nuisance stray Tom cat hanging around years back, didn’t mind him other than he was beating the tar out of my mousing Tom, one night I saw the offending Tom and first reached for the .22 but then worried about effectiveness and possible suffering so chose the .30/.30, no suffering 

I mostly shoot at pigeons with a 12 gauge, or chipmunks with.22 bird shot, I really like my shotguns, have a semi, pump, a single shot and a side by side, love my crack barrels the best  seem to be more deadly to me

I am a big fan of .308, around here anyway, shots in excess of 250-300 yards are unheard of, for his needs a .17 would be ideal but he has had this obsession with a 6.5 for years. Started out a couple years ago he wanted a precision rifle in .338 lap, I talked him out of that and he got obsessed with 6.5CR, probably a great cartridge, i am not quite on board yet because i cant see the advantage over .308 win in my application, just more ammo to stock. I talked him out of it this round due to ammunition availability, .308 can be had with reasonable ease, not so much with the 6.5

44 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I could see that, especially if those cows were pets before becoming food…

No he hated  them, just didn't have the stomach for putting them down.

1 hour ago, JaredT said:

I've gotten more than 40 groundhogs with my 300 Mag. It might be a little vengeance to watch them vaporize at 200 yards. 😏

There is no such thing as overkill.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JaredT said:

I've gotten more than 40 groundhogs with my 300 Mag.

Been known to use a 300 Win Mag on gophers....

Mike

2 hours ago, busted knuckles said:

If things keep going the way they are in this country--- how far can you throw a rock??

Depends how you throw it, with propellant? Air? Those pumpkin chuckers will toss a pretty big rock 🪨!

12 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I’ve got the ruger in 6mm creedmore I like it a lot . Good choice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sandhiller said:

How badazz are the groundhogs in your part of the world🦏😏😄

Sometimes people do things just to see what will happen.  To steal a line from Robin Williams, "Pop goes the weasel"

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, sandhiller said:

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

I use my 284 that way I don't have to get to close to them!!

• Like 1