560 questions

I bought a 560 awhile back at an auction for a couple hundred bucks with the radiator and some of the tin missing the motor was locked up and I have sense gotten it loose. The tractor will not roll on the right side even with the breaks completely removed from the tractor on that side. The shifter lever shifts into all gears smoothly the tractor also has a hole hacked in the hood with a big pre cleaner sticking through the hood and a dry air filter held onto the fuel tank frame with self tapping screws. There is also a pipe coming off the oil drain plug at the bottom of the pan maybe a turbo return line? I think someone had a turbo on it at one time and was using it for heavy tillage until something went in the rear end and then the motor got suck from rain water and maybe robbed the radiator for another tractor? Would this be considered the later head with bigger valves? IMG_20210805_142647305_HDR.thumb.jpg.1555f2dda5cb95c008c682a78d5bc639.jpgIMG_20210805_142608668.thumb.jpg.7e46a3cf9c5baab1e717bff2a3992e65.jpgIMG_20210805_143206189.thumb.jpg.998303996c4ff3b934423e21adb8174e.jpgIMG_20210805_143139174.thumb.jpg.16aed19168bbdb299fe584d9c4793515.jpgIMG_20210805_143139174.thumb.jpg.16aed19168bbdb299fe584d9c4793515.jpgIMG_20210805_143132297.thumb.jpg.f88235249d1f32d1abe4c1e2d164eee7.jpgIMG_20210805_142828334.thumb.jpg.c0239062bd4fec03d8e15b4527cc1421.jpgIMG_20210805_142813842_HDR.thumb.jpg.932c687aab8422a4e4da87000777601e.jpg

• Like 1

From looking at the head I assume it’s a diesel . If it had a properly installed turbo it wouldn’t have drained into the oil pan drain plug like that . Here’s a picture of where it would have been. 
6C5C1AF4-5E21-4B74-BE38-16593C541AAE.thumb.jpeg.fb39431778bb2b02f8ab13934feb66ae.jpeg

That looks like the air cleaner set up that was used with the IH turbo and not the M&W  version . 

I came out of the hood directly in front of the operator .  In my opinion those were a  pretty ugly set up to try to see around . The dry element was probably a better set up though . The old timers say the Turbo under full load could suck the oil from the OEM oil bath air cleaner. 

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want a turbo on a 560 unless your tractor pulling worst possible tractor for a turbo setup

Dozens of 560’s in my area when I was a kid . 

Don’t remember seeing one that didn’t have a turbo. Dad had two and I have absolutely no recollection of ever having a problem besides battery’s , flat’s , water pump, a radiator after my sister shot it with a 22 , belts and that’s about it. 

None in my area had turbo's and they still tore the T/A's and rear ends out

I would be more worried about the power plant than the rear end, atleast here....................I had a old good turbo laying here and "thought" about putting it on the D282.............Well that is until I tear one apart to put a head gasket in it, then I forget about it.

• Haha 1

I’ve had a 560d for 25 years. Not long after I got it I was thinking about putting a turbo on it. The only thing the crotchety old time IH service manager had to say was “how quick you wanna blow it up?” Lol never did put one on it but I did locate the fuel screw. 
that dry air leaner does look hideous. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Nyjim said:

I’ve had a 560d for 25 years. Not long after I got it I was thinking about putting a turbo on it. The only thing the crotchety old time IH service manager had to say was “how quick you wanna blow it up?” Lol never did put one on it but I did locate the fuel screw. 
that dry air leaner does look hideous. 

It’s all about the operator.  They dont blow themselves up but some guys can break an anvil .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would say that motor, or at least the pan , is from a combine. As Lorenzo says, the turbo cannot drain there. That’s why a turbo drain line is so big; the oil has to basically free fall into an open chamber, against crankcase pressure, to avoid backing up at the turbo and causing a leak. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lorenzo said:

It’s all about the operator.  They dont blow themselves up but some guys can break an anvil .

What about the operator? Only thing I can think to do is not use all the available power. If that's the case what's the point of having the power?

Anyone remember old Hugh McKay on the YT forum? IIRC it was him that would always brag about having a turboed 560 with 90HP, running duals, and never having a problem.

26 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What about the operator? Only thing I can think to do is not use all the available power. If that's the case what's the point of having the power?

Anyone remember old Hugh McKay on the YT forum? IIRC it was him that would always brag about having a turboed 560 with 90HP, running duals, and never having a problem.

Yeah, 16k or some hours.............but I seem to recall eventually is seeping out they had head gasket issues over that period, and a local dealer tech was really good on the turn around so they weren't ever really without them.  About like the one local near me, ranted and raved about his 706 gas.................which didn't match the rest of the rest of them around here with valve issues............Well I later found out that our local IH mechanic kept a spare head on his service truck and would swap it out in the field, so in that case he wasn't without it more than acouple hours.  Mechanic told me he got real good at working on those gasser heads.  Unlike what is posted on here, he said the only thing that saved those engines was being demoted to less demanding work(IE no tillage), because it didn't matter what oil was in them, they still were a problem when they were flogged to death plowing.  Guys got newer tractors and those went to hay work or chore work, issues stopped.

There should be a letter code to designate the year, should be after 3-17.  For example I know "M" is 1966 it is all over the castings on my 656.