They call it “ The Czech Capital of the World”

lorenzo

Well regardless if it really is or not they are having the annual Czech festival this week in Wilber Nebraska so I picked up my Kolache‘s and Hickory smoked bacon early . 49BB989B-CF15-4DC1-AE8A-090C70C81892.thumb.jpeg.b78cb998c70f7d14bd06c2d5ddc2d943.jpeg
Now if I can just keep Emma from eating it on the way home.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

My wife is from Texas and apparently Kolaches were big in the area there. I never heard of one before. She was never more excited when a local donut shoppe started making and selling them. I could go either way on them myself. 

I have had some that are terrible . 
I only buy them at one place in particular that I have been going to for ever. 

34 minutes ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Where I grew up, they were called ‘pigs in a blanket’.

We had “ pigs in a blanket” in school but it was a hot dog baked in a bun. Kolaches are usually fruit in the center . Pictured are cherry ones. 

• Like 3

Those in wilber are delicious i know them well - prune - apricot - cherry in that order i used to walk from my aunt n uncles there in wilber to get them - wilber wieners were great too - did u ever stop by the guy that had lighthouses in his yard south of town? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fred B said:

Look up (West, TEXAS) there on I 35, 20 mi north of Waco, they have a Czechfest every year, the bakery is side of I 35. they know the differnce between meat, & fruit.

I am headed to West in the morning!

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 6:52 PM, Fred B said:

Look up (West, TEXAS) there on I 35, 20 mi north of Waco, they have a Czechfest every year, the bakery is side of I 35. they know the differnce between meat, & fruit.

20 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I am headed to West in the morning!

Stop by, West (it's 20 mi North of Waco) and get some kolaches from Czech stop and little Czech Bakery, tell us which ones are the best, get the same flavor, so the comparison is the same.     😀

Also, 7 miles north of West, TX, is Abbott, TX, birth place of "Wild and Wooly Willie Nelson".  But he's probably not there -- I would imagine hes (on the road again).  😁😬 

• Haha 1

Around here we have our Parish picnics with all us Polocks, Russians and Slavs of all kinds eating Halushki (cabbage and noodles) Halupki (pigs in the blanket,  made with ground meat,  rice and spices wrapped in cabbage leaves) kielbasa, pierogi and such.  My Mom was Polish and cooked every day like this.  It's a wonder I wasn't 400 lbs. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fred B said:

Stop by, West (it's 20 mi North of Waco) and get some kolaches from Czech stop and little Czech Bakery, tell us which ones are the best, get the same flavor, so the comparison is the same.     😀

Czech stop and little Czech Bakery is the same place and their kolaches are overpriced machine manufactured products. The best place in west is Oak street bakey still made the way grandma did.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ih78 said:

Czech stop and little Czech Bakery is the same place and their kolaches are overpriced machine manufactured products. The best place in west is Oak street bakey still made the way grandma did.

Well, so much for that idea, is nothing sacred anymore?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ih78 said:

I walked past Oak street bakery but wasn’t open, or I wasn’t looking ‘cause I ate too much supper. 

• Like 1

Just getting wound up. 19FB32F4-D3DF-4E98-811C-00E40A90BC0A.thumb.jpeg.49b7db37e541bb3d6fc4a6215d061522.jpeg

9F95BF1C-1B97-4015-8E89-055055158F49.thumb.jpeg.198b72afbd47834b14540e1bb54ddbb8.jpeg

17BAC101-179F-482A-AF3A-8DE42CD52368.thumb.jpeg.28b08f4287c5980d3cbc89fdff65577d.jpeg

772D6A9F-1470-4AE6-B5A4-C99865DB14B0.thumb.jpeg.e3f7cc6f2005b36ab84549b0c51f3765.jpeg

2455827C-2438-46F1-80EC-8779DE39A09E.thumb.jpeg.2cc86e29af99a742d005c14cb87ecfbc.jpeg

Franks is the best place for Kolache’s and smoked meats like Jitrnice. And  Jilito. 

Damed if they didn’t have my size . I really wanted a new dress for Saturday . 
FC091BC6-8595-4C1A-A2C4-137B0F2B99C2.thumb.jpeg.d3fc2785390ad688ba5e9f9f3b8afde6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1