draw bar bending on 1486 bush hogging with 3615 batwing

jnbru

I was wonder if anyone had cleaver idea on stopping my draw bar from bending. It's currently in the second hole to shorten the draw bar. the 3rd hole the pin want slide in with forcing it or filing the hole out in the bar for the pin to line up.  But I if go that route I may have to cut the driveshaft down.  Not much I can do lighten up the old bush hog. It's previous owners already lost all the chain guards off the deck cutting trees down.  They only cut with it every 6 years or so they told me. Its tongue weight was around 2,200 pounds originally.

I'd like to see a pic of it being bent , I'd never seen or heard of the drawbar bending on those tractors at all and I've had 700 bushel loaded grain carts with much more tongue weight than you have

I just changed to the tran's oil last month.  While I had the draw bar out I put it in my press and took the bend out.  It was only about 3 or 5 degrees.  I'm sure it was caused by a few hard bounces I had while cutting with it.  I never thought of taking any pictures back then.

@bitty I think it was has a good idea for beefing them up with some pictures a while back. I've been wanting to do the same thing to mine for my baler. My issue isn't so much that it bends, its that going down the road I think it is flexing causing alot of bounce. I'm hoping if I were to beef it up I can go down the road a little faster. Every time I hit a bump I have to get out of the throttle or it will make your head hit the roof eventually. when I crank the baler down on the drawbar it flexes down over an inch.  Like they said though if yours is actually bent from a bush hog something must be wrong. Buy a good one from a boneyard. 

Dad would run a chain from one three point arm down under drawbar and up to other three point arm when running grain cart, I’m sure the drawbar would have been fine without it but it was cheap insurance. Just make sure to adjust the chain length so it just lifts the drawbar slightly when three point is all the way up

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 8:00 AM, ksfarmdude said:

I'd like to see a pic of it being bent , I'd never seen or heard of the drawbar bending on those tractors at all and I've had 700 bushel loaded grain carts with much more tongue weight than you have

For those of you that think theres no possible way a 15' bat wing can bend a draw bar down...... this is a factory 1086 drawbar. It has about a 3" bow in it as it sets. NOW this will come out when unhooked but this picture shows how much weight a bush hog puts on the tongue. All the wheels are out the back so everything is on the drawbar. 

20210815_150140.jpg

On 8/3/2021 at 11:15 AM, Missouri Mule said:

@bitty I think it was has a good idea for beefing them up with some pictures a while back. I've been wanting to do the same thing to mine for my baler. My issue isn't so much that it bends, its that going down the road I think it is flexing causing alot of bounce. I'm hoping if I were to beef it up I can go down the road a little faster. Every time I hit a bump I have to get out of the throttle or it will make your head hit the roof eventually. when I crank the baler down on the drawbar it flexes down over an inch.  Like they said though if yours is actually bent from a bush hog something must be wrong. Buy a good one from a boneyard. 

Sorry I don't have any pictures currently. We have seen bent drawbars from various implements 

28 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

For those of you that think theres no possible way a 15' bat wing can bend a draw bar down...... this is a factory 1086 drawbar. It has about a 3" bow in it as it sets. NOW this will come out when unhooked but this picture shows how much weight a bush hog puts on the tongue. All the wheels are out the back so everything is on the drawbar. 

20210815_150140.jpg

Not seeing it unhook the mower and retake the pic at a better angle  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Not seeing it unhook the mower and retake the pic at a better angle  

3" is how much that draw bar is flexing down right now. It is just deflection, and not bent. But you said you've never even seen one deflect down. It's not the camera making it look bent, if anything it takes away from reality. Im from the show me state 😎 

Point is theres alot of weight to a bush hog. More than some grain carts due to axle placement. 

On 8/3/2021 at 8:00 AM, ksfarmdude said:

I'd like to see a pic of it being bent

Being bent and and flexing is two different things , Most drawbars will flex to a point a bend is permanent I know they flex but never seen one break or keep a bend I keep the drawbar as short as possible also depending on pto usage , A grain cart tests them out as much as anything 

Have broke off draw bars on 806, 856, 1486, 3588, & 4020. All have been used on a grain cart, but never had one snap on a grain cart.  They broke on 15 ft bush hog, 20 ft bush hog, discbine, and round baler. Now use supports on these combinations as well as grain carts. Now been probly 25 yrs since snapping one off.

1 hour ago, 1480x3 said:

Have broke off draw bars on 806, 856, 1486, 3588, & 4020. All have been used on a grain cart, but never had one snap on a grain cart.  They broke on 15 ft bush hog, 20 ft bush hog, discbine, and round baler. Now use supports on these combinations as well as grain carts. Now been probly 25 yrs since snapping one off.

Snap a picture of what you do to them sometime if you can. I'd like to beef this one up too. The way I look at it how could it hurt 

2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Being bent and and flexing is two different things , Most drawbars will flex to a point a bend is permanent I know they flex but never seen one break or keep a bend I keep the drawbar as short as possible also depending on pto usage , A grain cart tests them out as much as anything 

Ok. That's not what I read on your original post. This one is parked obviously in this picture. But its sure got a bend in it as well. Probably a 1/2" bend. I can only imagine what it looks like flexing through the field. Probably scary if I knew 

I'm no good at pictures but here is what i do. 1st put a clevice in each 3pt arm with the pin through the ball. Next get a 3pt draw bar [ probly not correct name ] but a flat bar with a bunch of holes in it that connects your right & left 3pt hitch arms but don't pin it to them. the clevices are there. pick the center hole or 1 off from center if the bar has an even # of holes and bolt it to the bottom of the draw bar on the tractor in the hole in front of the hitch pin. With 3pt fully up go to your scrap pile and get a few feet of worn out 50 or 60 roller chain. Make a closed loop chain routed through the clevice down around the end of the bar you bolted to the bottom of the tractor draw bar, a big flat washer and good lynch pin keep the roller chain from slipping off the bar. The chains should be tight with 3pt fully up. You can turn as normal and pto shaft doesnt contact anything

We have had some break on these 20 foot batwings maybe 3 or 4 both 86 and 88 but thats been over a 12ish year period and 12-15 different tractors and acres wise i would say but most say i'm b/s. They all flex like yours in the pic i always thought it was normal and the ones that broke where bad casting and or wore out 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 3:36 PM, Missouri Mule said:

20210815_150140.jpg

Mine does same thing on a 1486 . Makes tractor ride funny on the road . 1517 John Deere bushhog .

Someone a while back posted some pictures of a fairly clean way to beef it up. They bought 2 more pieces of steel the same size of the drawbar and ran them horizontally parallel to the drawbar through the big flat bar it rests on beside the sway stops bolted in. Then they took 2 more pieces and ran them under all 3 pieces and welded it up but not to the drawbar. This way you can still remove, extend existing drawbar. 

Here it is. Found it. 

...big , late model JD   broke its drawbar , whilst pulling a big tandem axle farm trailer loaded up with seed and fert   , for the six or seven mile trip out the back of the Station.....far to much tongue weight , and inconsiderant  20 yr old ''driver''...given the 'track'' conditions and creek crossings  etc

Another one that broke was on the big "Valtra"' ...same thing....horrendous tongue weight, carting rock on a back end of a 6x4 truck   deck etc....Weight of truck chassis, tandems and tipping deck etc was probably four tons plus.....never mind rock loaded  up to near the head board..... it happens all right

Mike

You guys aint seen a bad drawbar until you seen what came on my M was half of a factory drawbar, the underbelly end, must have bent or broke so they grafted on an old brush hog blade to make up the missing half… never gave it a chance to fail, threw it in the scrap pile, makes me shudder thinking about it. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

You guys aint seen a bad drawbar until you seen what came on my M was half of a factory drawbar, the underbelly end, must have bent or broke so they grafted on an old brush hog blade to make up the missing half… never gave it a chance to fail, threw it in the scrap pile, makes me shudder thinking about it. 

I would never do that, the bush hog would vibrate more than i could stand      😃