Jump to content

throttle lever extension


kal
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am looking for the chrome extension that uses a long nut on the lever and it has a 90 degree bend that it comes back over the top of the steering wheel. I would like to buy or get measurements to make one. I had one and I put it someplace so I wouldn't lose it!🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kal said:

 I had one and I put it someplace so I wouldn't lose it!🤔

And at the moment you can't remember where that is? Don't worry, it happens to me also.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good luck, we used to get those at the I80 Chrome shop along with the handles. Not anymore. They are NLA as far as I know. We make our own throttles now. Not chrome, just chrome paint. Guys like them though. If I ever see those red pistol grip handles again, I am going to buy them all. Here is what we do currently.

KIMG2034.jpg

KIMG2006.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, kal said:

I had one and I put it someplace so I wouldn't lose it!

I knew for a FACT my dad had a belt pulley for the C. I had seen it, and I was about eight or nine when he went to get it from a friend's farm. I had seen it a bunch of times, including since he passed away. I know I wouldn't throw something like that away. You think I could find it? No chance. I spent HOURS looking for it. The more I came up empty handed, the more incensed and determined I got. Well I did eventually give in and buy one.

Then I found it... and the two others he'd apparently bought since then, stacked and tucked into the corner of a shelf, with JD parts in front of it. Frickin green stuff! Now I have three.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Wow, never saw those before. What tractors were they on? Is that actually preferable?

I think it was an aftermarket deal. Personal preference.  Some like em some dont I suppose. Would try one if I had it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Good luck, we used to get those at the I80 Chrome shop along with the handles. Not anymore. They are NLA as far as I know. We make our own throttles now. Not chrome, just chrome paint. Guys like them though. If I ever see those red pistol grip handles again, I am going to buy them all. Here is what we do currently.

KIMG2034.jpg

KIMG2006.jpg

That is the style I had except mine was an add on piece. What I should have done was make one piece lever like yours before I painted everything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to over simplify your project .......heat it up and bend it.....or cut if off and thread the end for a long nut coupling, and add whatever you want. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

got a pic of the pistol grip thing you are talking about ? 

 

11 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Good luck, we used to get those at the I80 Chrome shop along with the handles. Not anymore. They are NLA as far as I know. We make our own throttles now. Not chrome, just chrome paint. Guys like them though. If I ever see those red pistol grip handles again, I am going to buy them all. Here is what we do currently.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

I think they used to call them puller throttles?? I remember as a kid lots of pullers used to run them. 

Yes, Dead Man's throttles is the probably the correct term. They started that style of handle with the pistol grip on pullers. The throttle lever was actually spring loaded. If anything happened to the driver and he let go the spring returned them to the kill position. Hence nicknamed "Dead Mans". We always called them that. They then became kinda a church it up thing on stock tractors. We put one on every 56 and 66 we have. I will get a picture of the actual pistol grip handle.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, carmine@1945 said:

Not to over simplify your project .......heat it up and bend it.....or cut if off and thread the end for a long nut coupling, and add whatever you want. 

That is the way mine was. Lost the top part.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Yes, Dead Man's throttles is the probably the correct term. They started that style of handle with the pistol grip on pullers. The throttle lever was actually spring loaded. If anything happened to the driver and he let go the spring returned them to the kill position. Hence nicknamed "Dead Mans". We always called them that. They then became kinda a church it up thing on stock tractors. We put one on every 56 and 66 we have. I will get a picture of the actual pistol grip handle.

Always knew the Deadman part, just thought it was sweet with that handle pulled up over the wheel while it's just smoking down the track getting every last inch out. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So here are a couple pictures of the old school handles we all used to get. They came in red, orange, blue and green. At least that I saw. There were variations in size and shapes. The one pictured were called pistol grips and they were our favorite. The boys saw one on ebay new in the package a while back. It was orange, not red. I told them buy it anyway. They said Dad its on auction. It sold for $300!!!!!! Guess some pumpkin guys like them too! Anyway almost every truck stop had bins full of the knobs and the chrome pieces to extend, corner and so on for them. I never saw the knobs packaged, they were just in a bin with a sticker. I had heard some IH guy was making these handles, but I have yet to see one. For $300 they will just get the factory knob though. The one pictured is on my favorite 1466, she's special.:wub:

KIMG2372.jpg

KIMG2373.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The semi guys are looking for the old school "cat paws" and "pistol grips" along with many others. That's why the prices have gone sky high. There's a couple people repop-ing them. 

Look up Hanco or Roadway. Those were the 2 big company's making those handles and extensions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone with a 3D printer might be able to replicate one of those. Don't know for sure. But it would be worth a shot if you wanted a pistol grip bad enough. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Someone with a 3D printer might be able to replicate one of those. Don't know for sure. But it would be worth a shot if you wanted a pistol grip bad enough. 

That's exactly what I was going to say. Beat me to it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

So here are a couple pictures of the old school handles we all used to get. They came in red, orange, blue and green. At least that I saw. There were variations in size and shapes. The one pictured were called pistol grips and they were our favorite. The boys saw one on ebay new in the package a while back. It was orange, not red. I told them buy it anyway. They said Dad its on auction. It sold for $300!!!!!! Guess some pumpkin guys like them too! Anyway almost every truck stop had bins full of the knobs and the chrome pieces to extend, corner and so on for them. I never saw the knobs packaged, they were just in a bin with a sticker. I had heard some IH guy was making these handles, but I have yet to see one. For $300 they will just get the factory knob though. The one pictured is on my favorite 1466, she's special.:wub:

KIMG2372.jpg

KIMG2373.jpg

I like the collection of old IH parts bins/ tubs visible in the background!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2021 at 10:17 AM, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I like the collection of old IH parts bins/ tubs visible in the background!

Yeah, that's our bolt bin. I wish I had bought more of those bins on the dealer sales years ago! We only have around 100 IH ones. Whole thing is going to have 700 bins when we are finished. Those bins are spendy now, so we add some every year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2021 at 12:59 AM, Reichow7120 said:

Someone with a 3D printer might be able to replicate one of those. Don't know for sure. But it would be worth a shot if you wanted a pistol grip bad enough. 

@oldtanker???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2021 at 9:53 PM, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

So here are a couple pictures of the old school handles we all used to get. They came in red, orange, blue and green. At least that I saw. There were variations in size and shapes. The one pictured were called pistol grips and they were our favorite. The boys saw one on ebay new in the package a while back. It was orange, not red. I told them buy it anyway. They said Dad its on auction. It sold for $300!!!!!! Guess some pumpkin guys like them too! Anyway almost every truck stop had bins full of the knobs and the chrome pieces to extend, corner and so on for them. I never saw the knobs packaged, they were just in a bin with a sticker. I had heard some IH guy was making these handles, but I have yet to see one. For $300 they will just get the factory knob though. The one pictured is on my favorite 1466, she's special.:wub:

KIMG2372.jpg

KIMG2373.jpg

WHATS ON THE SHELVES IN THE BACKGROUND MAY I ASK..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...