Swapping 4 speed into 1566

10 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

It can be done. We have a 1566 with a four speed. It takes a pile of work though. You will need a 14 donor. As stated third gear is straight through and that will not change ( It will now be fourth, but the speed will be the same as high third was). Ours has 20.8's and it will go 21 mph on the road. Basically all you gain putting the four speed in a 15 is you get a gear almost like high second on a 14. We really like ours. High 2nd is a little slower than on a 14 and so is high 3rd. To do this swap you need the guts from the speed trans and the guts from the rear end of the 14. There is no way to mate a four speed without the kit (which was from Allied Precision) to a 15 rear end. You have to put the shaft from the rear frame of the 14 into the 15 to mate the speed trans to it. I know this is somewhat confusing, but I am not a novel writer. Basically you have the whole rear end tore apart and the speed trans to get it done. Not that bad for junkyard parts, but a lot of labor and gaskets. So to those who say it can't be done, come on over and take Cruella for a test drive. She has a four speed. This is Cruella pictured.

KIMG2303.jpg

Thank you. I remember now it was you that has mentioned it. I could vaguely remember this. Cruella looks mean. He is just wanting more useful in between gears. Anyone trying to make hay with a 15 probably does I would think. At least now I can tell him his options. My guess is his idea will lose its luster once he figures out what it will cost.  But who knows. I actually would enjoy it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

He is just wanting more useful in between gears. Anyone trying to make hay with a 15 probably does I would think.

I can believe that.  Back in the day I did a fair bit of baling in HI 2, although HI 1 was more frequently used.  Raking I use mostly HI 3.  This with the 4 speed.

53 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I can believe that.  Back in the day I did a fair bit of baling in HI 2, although HI 1 was more frequently used.  Raking I use mostly HI 3.  This with the 4 speed.

I use high 2 for alot of things. The way I read it that's what you lack in the 3 speed. Hi 2 is perfect for rounding up hay bales. and brush hogging pastures etc. 

9 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

So, Cruella has the speed transmission out of a 4 speed (1466) inside the 15's housing.  Which R&P/ Differential is used? 1466?  Use the brakes, planetary, axles off the 15?

Cruella has the guts from a 14 in the speed trans, and the input shaft from a 14 in the rear frame. All the rest of the rear frame is still 1566. She looks 100% 1566 on the outside. If we ever get another 15, it will be converted as well. I asked Allied Precision about making the speed trans output shaft about a year before they closed. Jeff said he would if we ordered enough. Didn't think we would have enough demand for "enough" so it never happened. Some of us crazy farmers can just never leave anything alone.......sigh......... but it sure is fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2021 at 12:40 PM, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

So, Cruella has the speed transmission out of a 4 speed (1466) inside the 15's housing.  Which R&P/ Differential is used? 1466?  Use the brakes, planetary, axles off the 15?

Shiek, I wasn't very clear on the rear frame description. Was half sleeping and thinking about another project. The only thing that really needs to change in the rear frame is the constant mesch gear. A 15 has a 48 tooth and a 14 is a 50. If a guy can find a fifty from the counter shaft update kit that is all you need. If not you have to change out the entire 15 counter shaft set and put the 14 one in the 15. I don't remember if the bearing on the main shaft is the same, that may need change too. Anyway, wanted to clear that up a bit as I said input shaft which was not correct. Don't want to lead anyone astray if I can help it. Also going to the 50 tooth does change all the speeds a little. Since it is driven all speeds are faster a little bit. Hope this makes sense, sometimes it way easier to do than describe.

19 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Shiek, I wasn't very clear on the rear frame description. Was half sleeping and thinking about another project. The only thing that really needs to change in the rear frame is the constant mesch gear. A 15 has a 48 tooth and a 14 is a 50. If a guy can find a fifty from the counter shaft update kit that is all you need. If not you have to change out the entire 15 counter shaft set and put the 14 one in the 15. I don't remember if the bearing on the main shaft is the same, that may need change too. Anyway, wanted to clear that up a bit as I said input shaft which was not correct. Don't want to lead anyone astray if I can help it. Also going to the 50 tooth does change all the speeds a little. Since it is driven all speeds are faster a little bit. Hope this makes sense, sometimes it way easier to do than describe.

The part number for the 50 tooth gear to fit the large countershaft is 127 456 Cl and it does not exist anymore unless a NOS parts source has one. 
We did one conversion on a 1486, have never found many others my vintage that ever installed the update. Would be a tough part to find used.

There was a thread on here not too long ago about a guy that had some place make a ring and pinion set for a 6788 tractor. I think the name of the place that made the gear was Lawler Gear or something like that, maybe outside of Kansas City? I’m sure a gear could be fabricated if that was the only hold up. I know the price the guy said he paid for the ring and pinion was not near as much as I was expecting. I don’t know how to post a link to an old thread. I’m sure someone can post it if they think anyone would be interested. 

3 hours ago, Maynard said:

The part number for the 50 tooth gear to fit the large countershaft is 127 456 Cl and it does not exist anymore unless a NOS parts source has one. 
We did one conversion on a 1486, have never found many others my vintage that ever installed the update. Would be a tough part to find used.

That is correct. I thought the same thing on finding one. Would be pretty tough at salvage. 

All parts needed to do four speed swap exist in a 3588. I did two of them in 1586’s for running big square balers.  You get to keep factory clutch, ta and rear end with planetaries there is one gear to change in the counter shaft of the rear end