Swapping 4 speed into 1566

Just like it says. What would I take to make the swap? Neighbor wants us to do this swap in the near future. He likes his 15 and has it fixed up but is willing to spend the money to do it if it's possible.A  donor tractor is available.  Can you just swap the whole speed trans?  And assuming the shift quadrant and possibly associated linkages too? 

Let's hear it. Thanks 

1 minute ago, stronger800 said:

I’m not a mechanic, but I thought it had been discussed and was essentially impossible, shy of just swapping out the entire trans and rear end.

I'm sure it's been discussed. What else can we talk about besides tractors though. Lol

I remember reading a few things about It. 

The planetary finals and 3 speed make any swapping of parts impossible.  Even the axles are larger.  Either bolt his engine to a 4 speed tractor or find an elusive aftermarket conversion kit.  Sorry, no easy solution!

• Like 2

I'm still perplexed here. After reading some old posts it seems I got mixed answers on this topic. Some say swap the whole entire back half, and others said it will swap at the speed trans.  If he found a 1466 donor tractor he would have to swap it from clutch back?? Probably not worth it to most. 

20 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

......nope. 

Never said it was worth it, just what he wants or would like to do. Sometimes we do things the hard way. might be his dad's tractor for all I know, never asked. No different than me swapping a diesel in my 656. Everyone said I was nuts. Yep I am but It was my uncle's that i grew up on and i wanted a diesel. Turned out nice and I'm happy. I'm more interested In hearing what it will take to do the job. thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Has anyone ever laid eyes on one of these kits? Or do they only exist on Internet forums?

@TP from Central PA has a neighbor who supposedly put a 4 spreed in a 1586 although with the HP claims he said it might not be a four speed. It was indicated to divide by two and subtract 20 to get a closer HP estimate

I’ve never done what you’re wanting to do but I do know that when I had my three speed apart on my 1568 there was just a spacer on each shaft where the extra gear would be in the four speeds. 
I feel like they left 2nd gear out of the 15’s judging by the huge split between first and second. 
I always wanted to compare part numbers on all the parts to see what the deal was but never got around to it. My bet is there is more in common than not. 

• Like 1

News to me............Only ones I can think of with any 1586's are to the west and north of me and its probably on a poo flinger right now?  Last I had to move it a few years back when I was up there drilling beans for them with my stuff it was still a 3 spd?

• Like 1

Here in New York a 15 anything machine  has always been about half the price of a 14 anything and 14’s sell Fast, 15 seem to linger, I took that to mean that adding a fourth gear was very expensive no matter how it was done.

IMO, Swapping on the back half of a 1466, to me, means you don’t have your 15 anymore. 
(not that I wouldn’t own one  either way. I think that big rear end is cool, just no need for it for what I do)

A guy up near Sheridan Lake CO who had 2  1586's and 1  1486. He used the 1486 for most of his tillage as it gave a lot less problems than the 15. Something if the brakes wore too much it would ruin the rear housing.

I'm probably wrong but from what I've gleaned from other threads regarding this even if it was possible third gear in a 15 is the same shaft speed as fourth gear in a 14 so if the idea was to swap the trans to make the tractor faster you wouldn't gain anything, just another year in between which may or may not be helpful. It's a combination of the ring and pinion and the planetary drives that make the 15s slower.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong

2 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I'm probably wrong but from what I've gleaned from other threads regarding this even if it was possible third gear in a 15 is the same shaft speed as fourth gear in a 14 so if the idea was to swap the trans to make the tractor faster you wouldn't gain anything, just another year in between which may or may not be helpful. It's a combination of the ring and pinion and the planetary drives that make the 15s slower.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong

I've read that as well. No he is looking for a more useful gear in between for haying 

• Like 1

It can be done. We have a 1566 with a four speed. It takes a pile of work though. You will need a 14 donor. As stated third gear is straight through and that will not change ( It will now be fourth, but the speed will be the same as high third was). Ours has 20.8's and it will go 21 mph on the road. Basically all you gain putting the four speed in a 15 is you get a gear almost like high second on a 14. We really like ours. High 2nd is a little slower than on a 14 and so is high 3rd. To do this swap you need the guts from the speed trans and the guts from the rear end of the 14. There is no way to mate a four speed without the kit (which was from Allied Precision) to a 15 rear end. You have to put the shaft from the rear frame of the 14 into the 15 to mate the speed trans to it. I know this is somewhat confusing, but I am not a novel writer. Basically you have the whole rear end tore apart and the speed trans to get it done. Not that bad for junkyard parts, but a lot of labor and gaskets. So to those who say it can't be done, come on over and take Cruella for a test drive. She has a four speed. This is Cruella pictured.

KIMG2303.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I have had my 1566 for 35 years now, and would have often used that gear between 1st and 2nd if it was there, but in high range for harrowing at 7 - 8 mph. Dad's 1256 and 1466 worked well for that job. The 1566 worked well for other things, but harrowing in 1st high was always a little slow. 2nd high in the 1566 was too fast.

10 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

I've read that as well. No he is looking for a more useful gear in between for haying 

I assume this is the same guy that asked me about doing this, let me know if you get it figured out.

10 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

It can be done. We have a 1566 with a four speed. It takes a pile of work though. You will need a 14 donor. As stated third gear is straight through and that will not change ( It will now be fourth, but the speed will be the same as high third was). Ours has 20.8's and it will go 21 mph on the road. Basically all you gain putting the four speed in a 15 is you get a gear almost like high second on a 14. We really like ours. High 2nd is a little slower than on a 14 and so is high 3rd. To do this swap you need the guts from the speed trans and the guts from the rear end of the 14. There is no way to mate a four speed without the kit (which was from Allied Precision) to a 15 rear end. You have to put the shaft from the rear frame of the 14 into the 15 to mate the speed trans to it. I know this is somewhat confusing, but I am not a novel writer. Basically you have the whole rear end tore apart and the speed trans to get it done. Not that bad for junkyard parts, but a lot of labor and gaskets. So to those who say it can't be done, come on over and take Cruella for a test drive. She has a four speed. This is Cruella pictured.

KIMG2303.jpg

Thanks, knew this was in my memory somewhere.

For what it's worth, if I ever get a 15 drug home she will remain a three speed.

The uncle found one in the weeds awhile back. When we went to investigate, it had a 4 speed gear indicator. He thought maybe someone had done this swap. I was less optimistic. That indicator is a whole lot easier to change than all the internals. Sure enough, three speed.

The tractor was pretty rough, owner didn't really want to sell, and I didn't tender an offer. Really nice people though. Kind of amazing the good times you can have just dealing on old farm equipment.