Tonight's storm..... and radar says the worst is coming.....

dads706

My renter lost buildings and bins, neighbor a mile north lost everything but the house (buildings/bins/shop).  Everyone's bins were empty and harvest in a couple months. I would guess 200K bushels minimum of grain storage is now junk.

A friend (I can see his place from here) has big tree on the house, several others pulled out by the roots, other trees just scattered all over. No buildings lost, but some damage. Told him I'd be over in the morning with my chain saws. Couple guys brought generators. Wanted to go over, but he texted and said he needed help tomorrow. Offered to put them up if they needed a place to sleep.  Sounds like a tornado as all three of the mentioned properties are all somewhat in a line. Me, maybe a few leaves and some walnuts blown off the walnut tree. 

I was sitting on the sun porch watching it come through. The first blast all the rain was sideways. (reported 60-70 mph winds) That lasted 15 minutes, calm for 10 and then the next one came and dropped an 1" of rain, probably just as much rain in the first one but it didn't hit the gauge.

Could be a long night from the looks of the radar.

• Sad 7

Dang, hope no one is or gets hurt.

Sounds rough.

We were in a tornado watch tonight too but as far as I know, nothing developed.

Hope your safe and be careful tomorrow with the cleanup.

Hope you made it through fine or at least with minimal damage. We got .8 early this morning that didn't come too hard. Would have been the perfect morning to catch that extra 20 minutes of sleep but the bladder thought otherwise

Looks like it will be here shortly and stay a while. Moving SE currently and I’m at the blue dot.  Can already hear a little thunder rumbling in the distance.  It’s good of neighbors to help each other but an awfully bad time of year for losing bins.  With wind like that, corn is liable to be flat in spots also which is just adding insult to injury  

E83D24B9-3319-4F44-B468-42E8D07D32A1.jpeg

Storm damage is never fun. Sorry to hear about this. We had some rain and I hear some dripping water now but I don't think we had any severe storm type stuff.

Yea, there was one north of us here in NW PA. Not to bad as tornados go. Destroyed a garage, damaged roof on 2 barns and put a big pine down on top of the house. It always amazes me how something can get totally destroyed, while a building 40 feet away gets away undamaged.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dads706 said:

My renter lost buildings and bins, neighbor a mile north lost everything but the house (buildings/bins/shop).  Everyone's bins were empty and harvest in a couple months. I would guess 200K bushels minimum of grain storage is now junk.

A friend (I can see his place from here) has big tree on the house, several others pulled out by the roots, other trees just scattered all over. No buildings lost, but some damage. Told him I'd be over in the morning with my chain saws. Couple guys brought generators. Wanted to go over, but he texted and said he needed help tomorrow. Offered to put them up if they needed a place to sleep.  Sounds like a tornado as all three of the mentioned properties are all somewhat in a line. Me, maybe a few leaves and some walnuts blown off the walnut tree. 

I was sitting on the sun porch watching it come through. The first blast all the rain was sideways. (reported 60-70 mph winds) That lasted 15 minutes, calm for 10 and then the next one came and dropped an 1" of rain, probably just as much rain in the first one but it didn't hit the gauge.

how is the assessment today? being a survivor of F4/5 in 2004 that took our entire farm houses/buildings/vehicles/tractors/implements this brings back PTSD 

I hope everyone is OK......

praying for all the safety, stress, grieving of loss, it can be paralyzing and gutt wrenching 

Radar looked like it should be pouring,got one little cloud burst then some drizzle. four tenths in the gauge. We will take what we can get been sixteen days since the last shower.

We missed out on all the action a few nights ago. What was supposed to be 2" - 3" ended up being 3/10". The heavier storms skirted us by about 15 mi to our west. I guess I would have passed on the 75 MPH winds, 2" hail & occasional tornado (that storm did leave a path of destruction down the center of the state), but some extra moisture would have been nice as it's been PFD since spring. Need about 7" - 8" to get back on track. On the other hand, it's been so wet around here for the past several years, the dry spell is needed. So, I won't complain too loudly.

Mike

Just got home from helping my renter and my buddy. Lots of cleanup to do, but at least they have power now and can get in and out.

Yes it was a tornado, traveled about 3 or 4 miles in a straight line. Grain bins sitting upside down out in corn fields etc. 

The worst was the BTO west of me. The road is closed past his place, so I couldn't drive past. My renter took a drone picture. The best I can describe it........ he always stored everything inside, he had a machine shed/shop that I would guess 200x600 maybe bigger.   Inside was a quad track (I think) several green tractors, two green 7xx combines, 2 16 row corn heads, 2 45' draper flex heads, 2 corn planters, assorted Kinze grain carts, semi's, sprayer, etc etc. Plus he had a classic car collection. I saw the drone footage of this building..... all 4 walls are blown out and the roof is laying flat on top of combines/trucks/etc.

With the delay on parts etc, and who knows if you can even get grain bins.   This is going to be interesting.

Out of all this damage, the good lord was looking out for everybody, because nobody was injured and nobody lost a house.

• Like 6

Man that sucks for the guy with the big machine shed. Glad no injuries tho.

We were getting dry. Been a few weeks since we got 2 1/2 or a lil more. Stuff was starting to suffer again a little bit. Got 1 3 /10s last nite. Mom reports hay next to her looks blown down some. Nothing else that I know of.

3 hours ago, dads706 said:

With the delay on parts etc, and who knows if you can even get grain bins.   This is going to be interesting.

Last I knew you can't get bins in short order. 

We tried buying some a couple last spring. Quickest at the time we could get kits was December and that was April. 

7 hours ago, hardtail said:

Think PA had some twisters also:(

Yep, SE PA had some in lower Bucks County and some in New Jersey adjacent to Central Bucks (I’m in Central Bucks). Some injuries, tore up a car dealership in Lower Bucks.

21 hours ago, dads706 said:

Kurt to the north?

33A3D52D-90A4-4657-81A6-E9739CFF49C3.jpeg

• Sad 1

WOW what a mess. Those bins sounds as if it's going to hard to replace soon. Glad everyone is okay and no homes lost.

90DFEA3A-4022-4062-9F68-934379D0A721.jpeg

Yep, that's the place. Couple miles north/west of me.  How do you know him Farmer John?

Then you know that 'Tiny' just east of him lost his machine shed and a couple bins.

Heard that a guy northwest of this picture lost a couple bins also. If you follow the path going south east, I heard there were some other bins lost down there too.

Talking about tornadoes last year or maybe two years ago in north central Minnesota. Two guys were working on machines in shop. They heard about bad weather they went out of shop to watch and were filming what they thought was a small harmless  funnel cloud. It tracked right to them they were in shop and both tried to take shelter under case IH quad track. One guy made it first and grabbed onto drawbar other guy got pulled out and killed . Found him a short distance away with the debris. The survivor said they both dived under tractor and wind started to pull tractor ahead.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, dads706 said:

90DFEA3A-4022-4062-9F68-934379D0A721.jpeg

Yep, that's the place. Couple miles north/west of me.  How do you know him Farmer John?

Then you know that 'Tiny' just east of him lost his machine shed and a couple bins.

Heard that a guy northwest of this picture lost a couple bins also. If you follow the path going south east, I heard there were some other bins lost down there too.

Uncle good friends with him and I do quite a bit of grain hauling for them at harvest. Tinys mom graduated high school with my grandma from magnolia and they are good friends 

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Talking about tornadoes last year or maybe two years ago in north central Minnesota. Two guys were working on machines in shop. They heard about bad weather they went out of shop to watch and were filming what they thought was a small harmless  funnel cloud. It tracked right to them they were in shop and both tried to take shelter under case IH quad track. One guy made it first and grabbed onto drawbar other guy got pulled out and killed . Found him a short distance away with the debris. The survivor said they both dived under tractor and wind started to pull tractor ahead.

I kinda remember you talking about this after that storm! Scary situation to be in! 
I’d love to see a tornado up close, but I don’t want it to be near my place, your place, or anyone’s place!!!