Paint advice?

kgriff

Couple posts ago, I talked about my new-to-me '57 S100.

Well, my first decision is paint.  I know I want to keep it original colors, and I've got that handled with paint swatches.

Let me state, up front and for the record, that I'm not a paint guy.  That said, I may try shooting this myself...just because.

Does anyone have any advice on paint brand/type?  I don't really know anything about primer, paint, clear coat, etc., but I do know that I want the finish to be relatively close to factory.  I need to figure this out ASAP so I can start getting rid of the little bit of surface rust there is and get parts at least primed.  I have done enough research to know that primer can depend on what paint is selected, so this seems like a pretty critical decision.

Also, it may be noteworthy that the whole thing was sandblasted at one point, and I will probably be sandblasting to remove surface rust.  It is my understanding that this should work out because there are primers that fill as well?  Or should I sand after sandblasting for a smoother metal surface?

I'm a fair mechanic, but body work and paint is something I've never really done.  Always wanted to, but outside of my wheelhouse at this point.

Suggestions, advice, criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Best advice I can give is stay with one brand of primer/ primer sealer /top coat - either base/clear or single stage

I have painted very few cars and trucks but was able to get decent ( far from perfect) results on my travelall

Here is a pic of one of the doors showing off some NAPA crossfire Turquoise Metallic Base/clear paint

2062891078_ihtallpaint007.thumb.jpg.636455f560b6ed3f19af79758e6c8eb2.jpg

sandblasting has a nasty effect on large , smooth panels ( think hood, roof, doors).

you may find the formerly flat surface now buckled or rippled.

blast should be confined to small areas otherwise not accessible to sandpaper.

First off I’m no painter, done some bodywork and paint only on bikes and limited at that small surfaces with lots of curves, the proper prep is a key, if things are flat and good you could use a high build up primer, whatever system you choose I would stay within it

Check out Gibson63 on utube, not sure if he was a paint and bodyman prior but his work is outstanding out of his single garage 

Thank you for the responses.  I may find it unfortunate as the project goes on, based on the sandblasting comment by supermechanic.  The whole thing has been sandblasted already.  I would, by my nature, confine sandblasting to hard to reach places like door interiors and stake holes.  No joy on this one, as my uncle had "a guy" that was going to paint the truck for $3000.  He sandblasted the entire truck.  From what I can tell, he didn't do a great job.

The body is mostly straight and good.  One dented fender from hitting a cow, minor dents in the wheel wells.  Very minor rust in a couple of places.  I'm planning on hiring the body work done, as I've never done that, and am a bit intimidated.

Kevin, the door looks nice.  How about a picture of the whole thing?  I've always like the Travelall.

Will a high build up primer be adequate to cover the sandblast finish, or should I go ahead and sand the whole thing?

Thanks for the Gibson63 tip.  I'll be checking that out.

It has to be tough for a person with no background in autobody work to do a nice paint job in todays world. Expect to spend 2 grand in paint and materials for the good stuff and even that is not the best. The sandblasted metal needs to be cleaned and primed with epoxy primer and then a 2 part filler primer and somewhere inbetween this the bodywork done.  To do a first class job I would paint the stripped cab first and get it out of the shop. Next would bee the doors and fenders, hood etc. painted on horses as flat as possible. The back body last. The days of taping them up and shooting are just about gone.

• 2 weeks later...