Canvas engine cover

I think your on the right path. A canvas cover with some bungee cords will help a lot. Look for a tent and tarp place.  How often do you change your fuel filters?  They also sell different heaters that run coolant to warm the fuel. Lots of the big rigs here have a coolant heater coil in the tank. Makes a big difference.  You may also find a silicon heater pad to put on the fuel tank while it’s plugged in in the shed. 

I assume your covering the radiator also?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I appreciate all the suggestions. I don’t know if a 4440 is worse about gelling than some other tractors, but when I am having trouble in the winter with my fuel it is not just this tractor. We use the 279 Cat skid steer loader and a high capacity bucket to load the mixer and when it is very cold I have never found anything to make it run. I have another 4440 with a loader and I always plan on just using that if it’s really cold. It takes ten to twelve hours to feed everything if the roads and weather are bad, so the machinery has to be out in the weather a lot. In my experience here the newer the model year of the equipment we are dealing with the worse it is. Someone told me it was because newer Diesel engines require better fuel filtration and that was one of the reasons the filters are more prone to plug. We get our fuel from the local Co-op and I wonder if this is just a regional problem because it doesn’t often get this cold and fuel suppliers are just not prepared for it. Last winter I didn’t know anyone around here who was trying to run a tractor, any model or color, that wasn’t having a heck of a time with it for about a week. All I know is if we park these 4440’s inside plugged in and just cover the sides we won’t have trouble with them. 

Most definitely cover the injector pump side. That primary pump and sediment bulb hanging of the side on a JD are first place to give problems. The older IH tractors tank was behind and above engine catching some heat. If you cover sides it will keep everything warmer even cover radiator screens keep just a little opening for air flow. It helps a lot.

• Like 1

Send me a PM.

I have the big sewing machine.

I need a project and thanks to the local elevator, I have the material for free.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I might be tempted to try one of these up and over the hood and down the sides with a couple bungee cords if paint isn't a big concern worst  case you end up with a nice canvas to cover your seat up with or something. Price isn't bad and US made. 

6 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I might be tempted to try one of these up and over the hood and down the sides with a couple bungee cords if paint isn't a big concern worst  case you end up with a nice canvas to cover your seat up with or something. Price isn't bad and US made. 

I wouldn’t think it would be a much bigger job to line the canvas with something? Idk? 

14 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I appreciate all the suggestions. I don’t know if a 4440 is worse about gelling than some other tractors, but when I am having trouble in the winter with my fuel it is not just this tractor. We use the 279 Cat skid steer loader and a high capacity bucket to load the mixer and when it is very cold I have never found anything to make it run. I have another 4440 with a loader and I always plan on just using that if it’s really cold. It takes ten to twelve hours to feed everything if the roads and weather are bad, so the machinery has to be out in the weather a lot. In my experience here the newer the model year of the equipment we are dealing with the worse it is. Someone told me it was because newer Diesel engines require better fuel filtration and that was one of the reasons the filters are more prone to plug. We get our fuel from the local Co-op and I wonder if this is just a regional problem because it doesn’t often get this cold and fuel suppliers are just not prepared for it. Last winter I didn’t know anyone around here who was trying to run a tractor, any model or color, that wasn’t having a heck of a time with it for about a week. All I know is if we park these 4440’s inside plugged in and just cover the sides we won’t have trouble with them. 

We are in CNY and sometimes have stretches of -10overnight to 10 or so in the day not as cold as some but cold.  We have had caterpillar Tier 4 Skidloaders for 3 years now and the ones that need to operate outside can be a real struggle.  We cut 70/30 with kerosene and power service added to the big tank.  We have tried a bunch of different fuel conditioners and have not found much difference in results.  Luckily on those cats the fule tank is in the rear pillar so we put the salamander on them when we have trouble for 30 minutes or so and that wil get them going again.  For side covers you need some of those nice panel the tractor pullers run to keep the parts from flying and so the other guys can’t see your secrets. LOL.  The canvas sound like a good idea to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 801486 said:

All the John deeres with the tank in the front by the fan are worse.

And the ones with inline filter right next to the fan are even worse, cousin has a 4455 and he had a terrible time gelling up until he poked a screwdriver through the filter, now it doesn’t gel as easy. Love my 966, run #2 all winter long, if I can get it out of the barrel.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Little Red said:

And the ones with inline filter right next to the fan are even worse, cousin has a 4455 and he had a terrible time gelling up until he poked a screwdriver through the filter, now it doesn’t gel as easy. Love my 966, run #2 all winter long, if I can get it out of the barrel.

If someone wanted to personally guarantee that an IH tractor on this mixer will run 10+ hours a day when it is -15 with a 25 mph wind and the 4440 will not, I could easily have one on it this winter. The mixer is a very big load on the 4440 and although I know that the 40 series Deere 466 is the biggest pile of garbage ever bolted in a tractor frame it seems pretty powerful to me. I have heard mixed reviews about running a lot of larger IH row crop tractors (pre 88 series) on absolutely full load on the pto, specifically mixer wagons. I don’t know if that’s something I would want to do or not based off of some stories I’ve heard. As I talked about earlier when we are having trouble with fuel it is not just this tractor. It is everything. Seems like @Paystar5000 has had the same problems as me with CAT loaders and the same results as me with every diesel additive you can buy.  Thanks again for the responses. 

Are you running a vertical mixer wagon with unground hay to work the 4440 so hard?  I fed a lot of cattle with an 826 on a 400 cubic foot rotomix when I helped a guy one winter, but it was all ground hay and silage and corn.  If you're pulling it that hard I would question an older IH PTO too.  But it's a fact of life that the fuel tank location on a 966 is better for not gelling than a 4440.

• Like 1

i cant personally guarantee anything in someone elses area, you might have lower quality fuel. when i got my diesel pickup i started having problems with it in cold weather. when i changed the fuel filter it had a bunch of white slime on it, i called dk diesel and asked them what the slime was and they told me it was animal fat they used to cheapen the fuel up, i started buying my fuel at the truck stop and no more problems with the pickup if i ran a blend.  i havent had a problem with the 966, knock on wood, the tractor sits in an unheated building, it doesnt have a cab so i have a comfort cover on it. it is plugged into a timer and depending on how cold it gets determines when i set the timer to come on. it runs a small mixer wagon a few hours a day. it does get kinda cold here, jan 2019 it got down to 35 below zero here, that morning the tractor batteries gave up. by the time i got to town and back with the new batteries it had warmed up a bit and i did put in a little #1 fuel to be on the safe side after being so cold.  

• Like 1

Go to the local boat top guys. They'll fix you up with a cover and the good snaps and twist locks. Twist locks in the corners with snaps in between and it will be easy on/off and stay on.

Twist locks.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

If someone wanted to personally guarantee that an IH tractor on this mixer will run 10+ hours a day when it is -15 with a 25 mph wind and the 4440 will not, I could easily have one on it this winter. The mixer is a very big load on the 4440 and although I know that the 40 series Deere 466 is the biggest pile of garbage ever bolted in a tractor frame it seems pretty powerful to me. I have heard mixed reviews about running a lot of larger IH row crop tractors (pre 88 series) on absolutely full load on the pto, specifically mixer wagons. I don’t know if that’s something I would want to do or not based off of some stories I’ve heard. As I talked about earlier when we are having trouble with fuel it is not just this tractor. It is everything. Seems like @Paystar5000 has had the same problems as me with CAT loaders and the same results as me with every diesel additive you can buy.  Thanks again for the responses. 

Fuel quality does make a huge difference. We always ran cenex field master fuel. If we filled the tank early in soybean harvest and had some of that left over for winter use it seemed to be best quality fuel. They switch blends for winter use up here. A 4440 JD will work your mixer just fine. An equal tractor like a 86 series has long fuel lines to gel up also. The problem with JD always seemed the sediment bulb would gel first hanging out in wind. If you make covers it helps tremendously.  I feel your pain with tractor not running though. Like I said before the loader tractor usually sat in so fuel was warm before it went out but we ran mixer wagon with jds never had much problems. We had more problems getting fuel out of bulk tank when cold than anything the filter on tank would plug.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, catman13 said:

dont throw rocks at me,, over the years some old truck drivers said they would put 5 gallons of gas in their tanks then fill with diesel and would not have problems with gelling 

It was -32 below with the wind blowing 30 out of the NW.

This was in North Dakota where there was one Jackrabbit and a barbed wire fence between you and the Arctic circle. 

A trucker wanted 5 gallons of gas, along with the rest pure #1, put in his 100 gallon fuel tank.

The trucker had to do it himself as the kid working the truck stop was told by the owner not to ever put gas in a diesel.

This was back when 5% gas was allowed.

IH also told the early diesel truck owners to change oil and to put the used oil in the fuel tank.

And the idiots say we didn't recycle years ago?

Today, with low sulfur fuel and the newer technology, I would not use gas.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 801486 said:

Are you running a vertical mixer wagon with unground hay to work the 4440 so hard?  I fed a lot of cattle with an 826 on a 400 cubic foot rotomix when I helped a guy one winter, but it was all ground hay and silage and corn.  If you're pulling it that hard I would question an older IH PTO too.  But it's a fact of life that the fuel tank location on a 966 is better for not gelling than a 4440.

Yes it is a vertical mixer and we dump big bales in it and then corn silage to mix together. We have never ground any hay here. I have seen times that my hired help shut the mixer off after mixing while still full and the 4440 did not have enough power to restart it. It is also very hard on drawbars and drawbar supports. Have broken many of each. Probably a tractor with an 1 3/4 1000 rpm pto and heavier drawbar would be a better match. This tractor is worked very hard here. 

5 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Yes it is a vertical mixer and we dump big bales in it and then corn silage to mix together. We have never ground any hay here. I have seen times that my hired help shut the mixer off after mixing while still full and the 4440 did not have enough power to restart it. It is also very hard on drawbars and drawbar supports. Have broken many of each. Probably a tractor with an 1 3/4 1000 rpm pto and heavier drawbar would be a better match. This tractor is worked very hard here. 

You need a boxcar magnum on that wagon, stouter drawbar, enclosed engine and very reliable