450 TA

Been working on this 450 all summer. The TA lever did nothing made no change either way forward or backwards. So we took it apart snd this is what we found so far. When throwing the TA lever the throw out bearing moves back and forth but doesn’t contact the pressure plate. You can see it in the video thinking the pressure plate fingers and clutch disc are worn could be the problem the TA still in the tractor seems to spin nice and no signs of metal chips in the oil. I don’t know how thick the clutch disc should be so I took a picture disc doesn’t look bad These are some of the pictures I have taken so far looking for any TA help I can get thanks Dave 

A8296700-8D2F-465B-919E-C02DA4940EB6.jpeg

29F906A4-8FA2-4124-BD05-83852A1A1F64.jpeg

F96EF778-BA56-41EC-9950-A6B586E4296E.jpeg

821FDC94-2F37-4610-A5EB-3E305108329A.jpeg

0088F3D7-39C0-4836-B1FE-9CD1CBD285CE.jpeg

484AF89A-E924-4543-969F-8DBCA6ACE4D0.jpeg

D34D7462-E46E-4D18-B745-363C56EF1DFF.jpeg

B5A95D7B-8A9C-426C-BD16-D9A8F6F3BC57.jpeg

0E1E7822-89CF-4665-994B-293F78A68B2E.jpeg

560F6A3A-7BBB-4D0D-8499-98F911AF7C23.jpeg

Looked like to me the ta clutch was not releasing. To much free play?? Did you check the adjustment before disassembly. Was the large nut for the ta pressure plate tight with the lock ring, have seen those loosen up?

Too much free play, or the clutch was stuck together with rust.

If that clutch does not release the tractor will be impossible to shift if the rest of the TA is any good.

This is one of those "may as well" situations. The clutch disk isn't that expensive. May as well replace it while you are in there.

I don't completely understand what causes what in these but want to learn. I have to work on my brother's 400 and it won't move . I suspect that it's a TA issue unless it's got a snapped axle near the bull gear. He bought it this way

Looks to me like your pressure plate and or throw-out bearing needs to be replaced Looks like your heading in that direction anyway good luck

On the 350 I used to have the TA linkage adjustment was very finicky. Just a hair off and it would do the same thing you are describing. I would probably put a new friction disc in it while you're in there and follow the linkage adjustment instructions in the manual. I think the TA on those was a good feature in theory but a real pain in the butt to actually live with.

• Like 1

Stick the clutch carrier back in. It should rotate only one way. If it backs up even a little bit. You might as well keep going and refresh over running clutch. I see nothing wrong with your ta clutch. I would check finger adjustment and repack bearing.

45 minutes ago, bitty said:

I don't completely understand what causes what in these but want to learn. I have to work on my brother's 400 and it won't move . I suspect that it's a TA issue unless it's got a snapped axle near the bull gear. He bought it this way

There is a coupler between TA and clutch shaft that can strip out, or splines in TA clutch disc can let go. If TA is good it should still move in TA just not direct. Have to start pulling covers and look for movement

as mentioned  when lever has no response either way it is usually a deeper problem.

get the proper manual /s (used) $12ea go back and check everything before throwing$$$ at any 1 item

4 hours ago, bitty said:

Found some of the problem . 

I should have parts as we got a parts 400 for this reason and I also got two rears just in case (400+450) 

IMG_20210730_102203326.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Found some of the problem . 

I should have parts as we got a parts 400 for this reason and I also got two rears just in case (400+450) 

IMG_20210730_102203326.jpg

Yes, that could easily be a problem ☹️

I’m just curious that the lever doesn’t even push the pressure plate at all. This TA is a giant learning curve for us. It seems to me like the lever should compress the fingers on the pressure plate some it doesn’t appear to have any more throw  that can be adjusted. So it the TA is good it should spin one way but not the other when it’s locked in. Thanks again 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:07 AM, snoshoe said:

That set screw in the top of the throwout fork wasn't worn or sheared off was it?

Isnt there still 2 small half moon keys to lock release bearing carrier onto shaft? I was thinking the set score just kept carrier from moving side to side?

2 hours ago, 1958560 said:

Isnt there still 2 small half moon keys to lock release bearing carrier onto shaft? I was thinking the set score just kept carrier from moving side to side?

set screw is just side to side locating. maybe I missed something but did you try to adjust ALL the linkage as per the manual before you tore it apart?

It looks like the disc is an organic woven lining riveted to the disc plate. That disc was replaced with a bonded metallic one due to the possibility of the riveted lining flying off of the disc if allowed to coast down hill in a lower gear with the TA clutch released.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1958560 said:

As soon as you mention it. Yes. Thanks.