Kemper corn head?

nate

If you didn’t know this already, your friendly John Deere dealer will probably be able to help you out there as Deere and Co. has been in bed with Kemper for a while.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gearclash said:

If you didn’t know this already, your friendly John Deere dealer will probably be able to help you out there as Deere and Co. has been in bed with Kemper for a while.  

Our neighbor has a new Holland of some sort and his new Holland head is the same as our Deere 688 I’m pretty sure is the number.  He borrows parts from us all the time.  What does the gearbox on the top of the drum do?  The ones we have only have gearboxes on the bottom.  That is a lot older than anything I have worked on.  The cutting knives on that look just like the ones we have though. 

On 7/30/2021 at 8:30 AM, Gearclash said:

Thanks, we have a parts book, just hard to tell if there are shortcuts.   It has green and yellow blades on it so parts came from deere.  

On 7/30/2021 at 11:18 AM, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Never done one like that, but it looks like a project. Is your corn starting to dry up? Some of the corn north of me is starting to turn brown and lose their leaves. 

There is going to be a bunch to take apart I think.   Corn is still green surprisingly.     Leaves on bottom are turning though

Dang too bad. Just talked to a guy from over by Hillman. He has some relatives who live north by pierz and the insurance company told them to start chopping it. Total loss, and they will still be able to take it before the deadline. 

On 7/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, Paystar5000 said:

Our neighbor has a new Holland of some sort and his new Holland head is the same as our Deere 688 I’m pretty sure is the number.  He borrows parts from us all the time.  What does the gearbox on the top of the drum do?  The ones we have only have gearboxes on the bottom.  That is a lot older than anything I have worked on.  The cutting knives on that look just like the ones we have though. 

The gearbox on top changes speed to run the drum and a pulley on top to run the auger on each end

My brothers got it torn down.   I helped a bit today.   Got some pressure washed and Have some welding to do from a hack repair and some welding to do on the saw discs

B4C7677A-DD24-4F8C-BD0E-C25AABDBEC9B.jpeg

D6D799E6-D267-4475-B84E-3373B66393EA.jpeg

E2A7988A-4775-4D2F-8034-D3D7F755D6A2.jpeg

01E5B966-2C7A-45B2-8F49-EB241B9A2815.jpeg

F73B4343-F1E8-46CE-B9FE-5EBA0F229D33.jpeg

5485618B-DD79-46A1-B230-84E28FE5BF4F.jpeg

EB622D3C-B9BE-4973-BCCA-F5CEF5353417.jpeg

B447DCC4-46F3-454C-A007-21EE45340C66.jpeg

I rebuilt a John Deere 688 rotary head from the frame up. New seals in all the gear boxes, I believe there are 15 on that head. Also did a lot of welding on the crop guides where they were getting thin as well as new key stock on the drums. That solved all of our feeding and plugging issues. I even had time to paint everything while it was apart. It took a good part of the winter among other projects but it looked and performed like a new head when it was done.