Hand control garden / compact utility tractor

timbo1946

Looking for some help. I have a very good friend that a year ago had a stroke in his spine. Dr said that he would never walk again, but as Rod has always done he is now walking with a walker 🙏 Rod asked if I knew of something that he could use to get around his property. He lives on top of a mountain in PA and has some steep area’s. Rod and his wife had just retired, and built there dream house, moving in 2 weeks before his stroke. BTY Rods wife has Parkinson, so the house was design to accommodate her being in a wheelchair at some point. 

Rod wants to be able to mow, and do light cores around his place. I keep coming back to my Cub Cadet 1811 hydro, it has full hand controls, hydraulic mower lift, something like that would work. I think he needs a little bigger unit that could take a FEL, 4 wheel drive would also be nice. We did discuss a zero turn, but that would be limited for what he wants to do. 

Everything I have looked at has foot controls. Rod just doesn’t have the fine control in his legs to use those (his right foot drags when he walks). He has very good upper body strength, so it would be easy to fab something to assist getting on and off. I have found a couple of places that do conversions for paraplegics. I also think I would be able to design a conversion, however since he is 5 hours away I was hoping find something out of the box to get him going with

Thanks for any suggestions you might have

• Like 2

Yes on the ventrac. Just watched a few videos, and have seen them at the Pagent  of Steam. Switching from mower to bucket might be hard but the right idea

We have Ventracs at work. I ordered the optional foot control, but they never get used, everyone just used the hand control. Switching implements is very easy, especially if you have room to line them up next to each other, unhook from one, back up, line up with the next one, drive in and latch on to implement, only thing to get off to hook up is the pto belt and hydraulic lines. We have a small scoop bucket for the front which works for digging and moving material, just doesn't lift to load into something high. Mounting the loader is quite a job and still doesn't lift that high due to size of tractor.

Vengeance and Stieners are nice tractors, but quite pricy, you get what you pay for.

A older Cub Cadet or 300 series Deere would work for garden tractors.

• Like 1

I have been around a small Kubota 20 hp hydro ( B8200 I think )had foot control but most of us could add a handle for hand control. Britty and Finney type ability could move the control most anywhere on tractor. 

Where is he in northern PA @timbo1946 ? I would be willing to help add hand controls to something if I can find the time. I am a half hour north of Williamsport

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bitty said:

Where is he in northern PA @timbo1946 ? I would be willing to help add hand controls to something if I can find the time. I am a half hour north of Williamsport

Thanks bitty. Rod is near state college, on the edge of the Bald Eagle State Forest, so not too far away. I will passing these ideas along, he will want to do his research (everything Rod does is researched out before moving forward) my guess is that next spring will be the timing

I have yet to be at his place ( lots of pictures). They moved in Sept of 2020, and after his stroke, got covid when in the rehab facility. Lisa and I were in PA to see my sister Barb around Thanksgiving (she was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer) and spent  time with her during the holiday. We tried to get to see Rod then but he couldn’t have visitors at that time

We are will be back near Lenhartsville in October and hope to swing by and see Rod and his wife then.

Lisa and I will be helping my brother in law head back to GA. Barb and Richard were full time RVers and now that Barb is gone he isn’t up to pulling his camper that far by himself.  Last spring I pulled it back to PA from Ga for him

• Like 1

Those Ventracs look amazing.

What is the pricing?

Some of this stuff is great but the price can get prohibitive.

Most zero turns just take your feet along for the ride but getting on one can be a total hassle.

I would think a working model could be put together for this guy.

He wants to work, get it so he can?

If I was closer, I would be all in.

• Like 1

Timbo,

Todd Markle who goes by Farmallgray and writes for Red Power lives outside of State College. His dad worked at the local Kubota dealer, not sure if he retired or not. Between the two of them, I bet that they could come up with hand controls on a foot pedal operated Kubota B series. I don't think he comes on this forum, but is active on several Cub Cadet forums.

I can get his contact information for you if you would like to talk to him.

Diesel Doctor,

The Ventracs are very impressive. You can check out prices on Tractorhouse on them and Steiners, just make sure you are sitting down when you do it. Some used prices are not too bad, but new ones are definitely out of my price range.