Lumber prices.............

mikem

I think I might have figured out why 2X4's 10 ft. long are $20......

20210729_081044.thumb.jpg.31c447ebc2c8c8e3cbdcf1b2b0a49a6f.jpg20210729_081030.thumb.jpg.565a0bb9fc2a91911fe582e836423772.jpg

Less than a mile visibility, and STINK!!!!!!!

According to the weather advisory on my phone, it's Canadian wildfires.......

Look close, you can see the sun just above the pine tree in the lower picture.

(C'mon guys, close the gate in the barb wire fence...please):lol:

At least it's 30 degrees cooler today.

Mike 

1500 m east and we had that last week had to close the windows

2 x 4 is $20 Bc elite BTO play/control both ends ( pay $.10 bf sell $10bf and pay little to no tax while buying govt off

16 minutes ago, mmi said:

1500 m east and we had that last week had to close the windows

2 x 4 is $20 Bc elite BTO play/control both ends ( pay $.10 bf sell $10bf and pay little to no tax while buying govt off

There is a lot more to it than that. Part is the environmentalist who have stopped cutting in some areas (have to remember that some environmentalist have no problem with a forced reduction in the earths population and forcing the people to go back to living off the land in an environmentally friendly manner?). Some has to due with US Canada relations. Seems Canada is not really enthusiastic about shipping lumber to the US sense the Keystone Pipeline got shut down by the current administration. Seems that the PM of Canada has pretty much shut down the lumber industry claiming COVID concerns. 

Now I'd like to know what's wrong with making money? I'm sure you make money. I bet you don't cut your spending to the bare bone and then give any extra money left over to charity. You know like no computer, no internet access, no TV or cable/sat service. 

Heck look at it this way. A rich person spends more money in a month than I make in a year. Money that pays for goods and services that keep a lot of people employed. Plus they pay sales taxes on a lot of stuff. Plus they actually pay far more in income taxes than is really fair.  I pay between 3-5% of my annual income into state and federal income taxes. They pay something like 20-40%. I know some people who pay in 2-3 thousand every year and get returns of 4-6 thousand because of things like earned income and child care credits. We each followed a path in life. Mine lead to a satisfying life. I do OK but there are others who make far more than I do. I don't hold that against them. If they hadn't taken risks they would not have created jobs or built and developed the things I want. A lot of the time the greater the risk the higher the reward. Nothing wrong with that.

Rick 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, oldtanker said:

goods and services that keep a lot of people employed. Plus they pay sales taxes on a lot of stuff. Plus they actually pay far more in income taxes than is really fair.  I pay between 3-5% of my annual income into state and federal income taxes. They pay something like 20-40%. I know some people who pay in 2-3 thousand every year and get returns of 4-6 thousand because of things like earned income and child care credits. We each followed a path in life. Mine lead to a satisfying life. I do OK but there are others who make far more than I do. I don't hold that against them. If they hadn't taken risks they would not have created jobs or built and developed the things I want. A lot of the time the greater the risk the higher the reward. Nothing wrong with that.

of topic at the moment

think you got it reversed elites pay little  IT and pass the rest on

expect you make 2-3x more than we do  

our I  T is +- 18% after the return to prevent penalty and audit

land and assoc tax is literally   $17+ PER day

required/needed/minimum bare coverage ,not counting life insurance is +- $10 PER DAY !! 

futures are down a lot on lumber, still crazy high, priced 2x8 cca for decking on my trailer - 858 bucks out the door for an 18 foot trailer - thats jsut for the wood, none of the spendy hardware that holds them on either. You are looking at a grand by the time you are done or right at it - no wonder trailer prices are so high add that and steel prices and 16 to 18 mo lead time. Ive got a lead on some white oak for 1.5/bd ft so much more reasonable and much better wood 

way to many variables to try figure out an absolute WHY all i can say is its real when i break out the wallet. 

Hazy here all day as well. Smelled like someone was burning wood all day as well

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

Ive got a lead on some white oak for 1.5/bd ft so much more reasonable and much better wood 

Oak will not last if it is in the weather. maybe 7 years at best.

Did one of my trailers in locust , lasted about 15 years.

Did one deck-over in Apitong, nice wood, but really expensive. Only been on 5 years now, still looks good.

cca  southern pine is a good choice, as long as extreme point loads are avoided.

Put Apitong in a stock trailer in 95 or so, still real good today . The original pine that came with a Oklahoma built trailer lasted 20 years with lots of weak spots and, patches the last 2 or 3 years. Just to give a comparison, it was used more in the first 20 but cleaned and cared for better to always stored outside. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mmi said:

of topic at the moment

think you got it reversed elites pay little  IT and pass the rest on

expect you make 2-3x more than we do  

our I  T is +- 18% after the return to prevent penalty and audit

land and assoc tax is literally   $17+ PER day

required/needed/minimum bare coverage ,not counting life insurance is +- $10 PER DAY !! 

You can look it up is you chose to. But the elites as you call them account for about 97% of federal income taxes collected after refunds are paid out. That's just plain and simple stuff you can look up yourself. Just for tax rates https://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/tax-brackets.aspx#:~:text=2021 tax brackets,314%2C151 or more . Just because someone claims they don't pay their fair share doesn't mean it's true. The rich pay 35-37%. You may remember someone claiming that the rich at one time paid about 50% and were OK with it. Way back then there were so many loopholes that the that 50% resulted in 0% actually being paid. Plus they pay far more in sales taxes because they can buy more. While you and I may spend 100 dollars they spend 1000 or more. Normally their property is valued much more too and they wind up paying far more in property taxes too. You or I may buy a used vehicle. Then do as much maintenance and repairs ourselves. They take their stuff in for everything. So they spend more on services that keeps people employed too. I happen to know a few wealthy people. To them eating out 4-6 nights a week is normal week to week dining habits. And no, that's not fast food. New 60,000 plus vehicles every 2-3 years is normal too. They create more jobs without thinking about it by accident than you or I do deliberately. No, I personally get nothing from them. But I begrudge them their good fortune either.

A few facts for you:

• The top 1 percent paid a greater share of individual income taxes (38.5 percent) than the bottom 90 percent combined (29.9 percent).
  • The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid a 26.8 percent average individual income tax rate, which is more than six times higher than taxpayers in the bottom 50 percent (4.0 percent).
  • In 2017, the top 50 percent of all taxpayers paid 97 percent of all individual income taxes, while the bottom 50 percent paid the remaining 3 percent. (last complete year reported).

Don't fret. Greed is a normal human trait that all of us have. We are born with it.

Have a great day!

Rick

• Like 1

18 hours ago, supermechanic said:

Oak will not last if it is in the weather. maybe 7 years at best.

Did one of my trailers in locust , lasted about 15 years.

Did one deck-over in Apitong, nice wood, but really expensive. Only been on 5 years now, still looks good.

cca  southern pine is a good choice, as long as extreme point loads are avoided.

red oak, black oak wont but white oak will - my current white oak has been on 18 yrs and never painted or sealed - its got some good boards left but it was short 8 to 10 footers so all hodge podged on it so wanting to do over 

yea i saw that apitong stuff, no way i could justify it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

red oak, black oak wont but white oak will

Yes.  The pores of white oak wood  are occluded.  Those of species in the red oak family are not.  Being more porous, water absorbs more quickly into red oaks and black oaks.  White oak has greater decay and insect resistance than red oak.  The occluded pores (and tannins) make white oak desirable for cooperage.  

• Like 1