IH tractors making hay.

Picture of the 1256, 1486 and 1586 in action. We sold of all the high dollar stuff last fall and are down to a basic operation as a pastime. The 1066 , 560 and 1206 we are working on are not in picture also the other red power 1486 hasn’t arrived until previous owner gets his tractor. . This piece of hay land usually has about 35 bales , 10 this year and 4 of them are cattails. Sorry about 1256 being oily, lift cylinders on loader leak a bunch when cold and we just pulled loader of in field to mow with it.

33A0732D-992F-4136-811A-07407142B86D.jpeg

70FAF39B-6E30-4F7D-9A89-2EBC3D2AB81E.jpeg

B8CBDCA0-188D-4F4B-B1BA-6A540DDD4B2D.jpeg

6EAF91DD-EBC5-4EAD-9E41-5F6B746EB53F.jpeg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, FRF said:

Please tell me about the rake.  Any more pics of it?

I agree. Never seen one in this part of the world. Cool pics. Always enjoy learning the subtle differences in other areas. 

2 hours ago, FRF said:

Please tell me about the rake.  Any more pics of it?

It is a rowse dump rake. In the years before v rake or big tine  wheel takes. This was state of the art . Guys that stacked hay with loaders and hay sweeps loved these takes. Cover acres fast then as rows were stacked or bales you went back and scatter raked to clean up any bits of hay. These were made for light yielding big acres. The big companies JD and I think Mcormick made 12 foot steel wheel versions , a rider sat on rake to lift it manually. I will post more pics of it in action. 

• Thanks 1

ive seen a 12ft dump rake that someone rigged up an electric drum brake with a switch mounted on the tractor, so when you wanted to dump the rake you hit the switch and it dumped the rake instead of having someone sit on the rake to run the lever

17 minutes ago, Little Red said:

ive seen a 12ft dump rake that someone rigged up an electric drum brake with a switch mounted on the tractor, so when you wanted to dump the rake you hit the switch and it dumped the rake instead of having someone sit on the rake to run the lever

Yes I was going to post that guys used to rig a master cylinder and brake system . Pull the rope to apply brake and lift rake release and drop rake. 

We baled straw last week. Used the 826 hydro, 544 hydro and the 756.  Never took any action photos,  but here are 2 of them parked for the evening. 

Update, went to pull the 826 out to mow some waterways for grass bales.  Not today, I guess!

20210725_203839.jpg

20210731_163752.jpg

• Like 5

I remember my mother riding the dump rake on the family 1 horse farm with my grandfather pulling it with our then new cub tractor. She was replaced by a rope to the tractor seat. We did loose hay until 1971, just a few acres then.  I have never seen a double sickle bar or even a 9' here in the east and enjoy the photo's.

On 3/21/2021 at 1:06 PM, DT Fan said:

An interesting idea, especially as we age!

We have a 42 ft rowse dump rake, used it for 20 plus years until we finally upgraded to an 18 wheel v rake. Still have rake and still use the rowse double 9 mowers. Rake teeth and dump linkages were getting pretty worn out.

5 minutes ago, nate said:

Dale, I know the principle of the dump rake, but what do you do when hay is uneven?    Do you just dump and make short swaths where it is heavier?

Exactly. Make short rows of heavy hay and more of thicker. In a ideal world and you would have a big wheel rake, a little 9 wheel for small narrow strips and a dump rake to clean everything up. Eventually I am going to buy a 20 wheel rowse again. Put lots of hours in on a JD A, super m and even raked with the 8630s they had air when we were little.

Dump rakes where used here on wild oats in good years. Cut and rake leave in the field for grazing. I guess old times thought a dump rake was harder tear up than a bar rake. Any dump rake used in my time had a rope trip, nobody rode on it.

One hard head old guy shocked hay until the last guy refused to bring a baler and wait for hay to be pitched in by hand.

11 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

wow dale you guys need some rain bad

Yes normally 17 to 25 inches of moisture a year. Probably had 7 inches of total precipitation since last august. The eastern 1/3,of the state has a okay crop avg but not great then when you cross into Minnesota it gets dry again. We are in Duluth mn right now so toured a bunch of the 2 states. The western 2/3 of North Dakota is getting written off as far as wheat and forage plus corn crops. Hay and decent pasture is non existent except for small areas that got thunderstorms. We are in the driest years since 1935 or 6 . Lot of cattle leaving the area as feed is scarce.

• Sad 1

We put up loose stacks until 1995. 9' Kosch mowers, 24' Rowse dump rake, reverse sweep, and loaders with push offs. I left for the Army in summer of 95'. A baler showed up the next summer....! 🤣

Did you leave the loose stacks out in the field? If you did would the winter rains turn them in to dusty moldy pile or one big pile of steaming compost or did you feed them fast before it had a chance to do that.

9 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Find it interesting................We couldn't even use such a rake in a field here, well, probably could, but could not lay out anything to get it in a baler well................

Yep, it is interesting how things are done elsewhere.  Down home we made 1000 bales of alfalfa hay three times a year with just a FARMALL H until we got the Super H.  Dad would use his '51 M to pull the 12+/- loads up to the barn and run the bale evevator while neighbor and I baled the next load. Dad used his M because he looked for ANY excuse to run it. But I did all the mowing & raking with the H or SH. The one rake we used was OLDER than Dad, high steel wheel New Idea built to pull with horses converted to pull with a tractor.

Then there's my neighbors here in Wisconsin.  They get 4 cuttings of haylage, chop it for their cows. One hauls in with tandem axle trucks, think he has 5 of them, other neighbor hauls in with BIG tandem axle carts pulled with 200+hp tractors.  BIG New Holland SP choppers,  fun to watch them chop corn, they chop into semi's. Takes them a while to knock the endrows off but once they get rolling they really keep the trucks hustling.

The Rowse 42’ dump rake was standard equipment around here for all the guys that put up hay…still many used around here. 

Dale, we aren’t quite as dry as you guys in ND, but we’re not much better. Some wheat was harvested a month ago with a round baler, some guys are combining the better stuff right now around here. Yields anywhere from 15-20 up to 30-35 bpa for the better stuff. 

I’ll share some interesting pictures of a stacker/loader that a friend of mine put together a couple years ago that starts with an International school bus put together with an Arts-Way front end loader originally designed for a 1970s vintage Versatile 4WD tractor. Right now he’s out west river a couple hours away loading nearly 10,000 bales of failed spring wheat for hay. 

I guess you could say this is the closest thing IH-made that could ever compete with a Bidirectional. 

BEEAA86A-E220-4A7F-84E9-D56B9FF0AF65.jpeg

CDAB3EA0-0C93-4D5A-AF0B-931E7E864627.jpeg

78840E8A-526D-4558-B893-AA90DEF407E6.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 9:02 PM, dale560 said:

This is what crop looks like this year and picture with green wheat and combine is 2019 what it should be like

D75CAAD0-8FE9-4B75-9B7C-1FC99BCDBDF2.jpeg

F9C9FA24-3FCF-46E1-BE54-FF88EE9F7AF4.jpeg

C02B336E-7F93-46E5-A207-BF82DAB347AA.jpeg

C8A26768-E0EE-4607-B552-B26D5AB17C47.jpeg

There were guys hauling wheat into the elevator here in Kansas City getting docked $6 a bushel. Way too much rain here early, now dry as a bone. Wheat sprouted in the head and low test weight to go along with the vomitoxin. Some of ours got docked $3 a bushel, but heard about some much worse. I guess at least we had some to sell. 

On 7/31/2021 at 5:16 AM, Jacka said:

Did you leave the loose stacks out in the field? If you did would the winter rains turn them in to dusty moldy pile or one big pile of steaming compost or did you feed them fast before it had a chance to do that.

My father in law put up his last loose hay in 2008, it was either the spring of 15 or 16 he started feeding from that stack, the hay inside the stack looked like the day he put it up. There is an art to it to get the water to shed off of it. He said he would like to make loose hay again some day, I would like to see it done just to experience it.