Our friends north of the black line

vtfireman85

While watching Letterkenny, there is much reference to rivalries between the English and the French Canadian folks. First I’ve heard of this.. but I don’t speak French, so I may have missed something. 
I had always been of the impression that Canadians were a peaceful folk who enjoyed Hockey and Labatt, and all got along.. did I miss something? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

While watching Letterkenny, there is much reference to rivalries between the English and the French Canadian folks. First I’ve heard of this.. but I don’t speak French, so I may have missed something. 
I had always been of the impression that Canadians were a peaceful folk who enjoyed Hockey and Labatt, and all got along.. did I miss something? 

You can't be serious. Are you?

One of the reasons I love Quebec even though I've only been there once in my life, is because of the Toronto snobs I've heard disparage them.

I've spent a decent amount of time around Canada, and let me tell you that I'm my experience they ARE super kind and friendly people, with the remarkably glaring exception of the greater Toronto area.

Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, Kelowna, Yellowknife, Vancouver. I either have longtime friends from these places, or I've spent time there, and I've had great experiences. Toronto, not so much.

12 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

For one thing I hate hockey and I never liked labatts, but that really doesn't matter, I got one tale about french kanadians, we were parked in a campground in jersey city and right behind us were four trailers with quebec plates, said hellos to the group once and no response, the two weeks we were there not a word to mom or I, one day I was putting a sway bar in the rear suspension and guess who came by to offer a hand to install, a guy from kentucky, I didnt need the hand but I thanked him and talked with him a few times, the quebec peeps never said a word and saw our BC plate,during our travels that story was the norm rather than the odd one, I'm not going to slag anyone because that isn't your query, but my story isn't the only one I know of.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, KWRB said:

You can't be serious. Are you?

One of the reasons I love Quebec even though I've only been there once in my life, is because of the Toronto snobs I've heard disparage them.

I've spent a decent amount of time around Canada, and let me tell you that I'm my experience they ARE super kind and friendly people, with the remarkably glaring exception of the greater Toronto area.

Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, Kelowna, Yellowknife, Vancouver. I either have longtime friends from these places, or I've spent time there, and I've had great experiences. Toronto, not so much.

Ive been to Canada exactly 2 times, once i was 12 and once i was bombed.. so much so I have blacked out almost all of the trip, been years now, I believe i won my event, I believe we consumed many pitchers of beer, I believe we not so stealthily smuggled pitchers of beer onto the bus home. 

• Haha 1

All the Canadian folks I’ve talked to on here are down to earth good folks (I mean, they are on Red Power after all). We had an intern from Canada when I worked in Ag research. He was a complete dud. One of the guys finally asked him one day what the deal was because stereotypically Canadians are nice people and he was an A-S. He scoffed at us and went on being that way. He thought he was the second coming or something.....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

All the Canadian folks I’ve talked to on here are down to earth good folks (I mean, they are on Red Power after all). We had an intern from Canada when I worked in Ag research. He was a complete dud. One of the guys finally asked him one day what the deal was because stereotypically Canadians are nice people and he was an A-S. He scoffed at us and went on being that way. He thought he was the second coming or something.....

Interesting.. I know to watch out for those québécois plates on the highway, no one seems to have calibrated their speedometers for down here. 

15 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Interesting.. I know to watch out for those québécois plates on the highway, no one seems to have calibrated their speedometers for down here. 

This guy hounded me wanting to buy my IH sock hat. It is something my MIL sewed an IH patch on for me. He had to have it. I told him no thanks. He just kept after it and would not drop it. I finally had to respond in a less nice manner and I told him it would be a cold day in you know where before he ever got that hat and I would sooner burn it as let him buy it. He got the point that time. It was more about principal at that point than the hat. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In 1995 Quebec wanted to leave Canada behind and become an independent nation. They took it to a vote and 50.6% voted to stay (it doesn't get much closer than that!), the rest is history. I think that definitely stirred the pot though.  

• Like 3

The firm I worked for, in the Caribbean, employed  several men from  Quebec.....One of the attributes of these blokes was the ability to converse with the Haitian    boys....with their ""baby talk", French........The Haitians  speak  "Creole''  ...another bastardised   French

I know a few Canadian's...been to Alberta many times, where my Brother lives.....Had an evening meal at  @hardtail's table with his Family...Stopped  at @magicmikey's place   (Kamloops  ) to see him on two occasions...would love to sit down and have a yarn with  ol' Jake......and  the others....but that possible visit is now fraught with difficulty.....plus the $10K    (NZ)  is required.....

Some of those blokes from Quebec , wouldn't even  shake my hand.....and I was there for three  years.....not like I rolled in for the weekend.....

All I will say is , from my experience.....that sort of high and mighty crap just gives the rest of the "real " Canadians.....a bad name.....

Mike

• Like 3

A bit of a history lesson lesson, Quebec has the highest percentage of French Canadian descendants population wise and areas where French is predominantly strong, other areas are a mix some less so, it is the second largest province population wise and geographically is located next to the largest in the east, although Ontario considers itself central Canada. Rough guess now is Quebec is roughly 1/3 descendants of original French settlers and constantly losing ground in that respect to continual new immigrants as is the rest of English Canada, in essence we are all losing ground between being descendants of origin settlers and wave after wave of new immigrants and cultures. French Québécois has dug in fiercely to depend this cultural difference and can be quite vocal and protective of it but in reality they are constantly losing ground as we all are they are just better at defending it and representation. There are small pockets of French communities all over Canada, the next largest would be Acadians on the east cost but although their accent is similar you will get an earful if you ask them if they are French.

Historically this has divided Canada, between English and French and east and west, 2 provinces Ontario and Quebec have such a large population that their votes usually predetermine our next 4 yrs of government over the entire rest of the country which has never sat well with the west, so you have this huge geographical country that is represented by population not region. The newest wrinkle in voter split is urban vs rural and new immigrant vs established so all bets are off in this new dynamic?now that I explain it I kind of miss the old ways❤️

• Thanks 3

One more thing 3 provinces have generated and paid money federally Ontario, BC and Alberta with its vast oil revenues and all other provinces receive money, Alberta’s amount paid has usually exceeded Quebec’s amount received which is the largest, this has suddenly changed with this global green wave and climate change shift so Alberta is hurting financially stuck in its old rut and the feds have been reluctant to acknowledge that now the horse pulling the cart needs a break, maybe they think we need to be put down and get a new horse

Last point is our current Liberal leader is the son of a past French leader from the 60-70’s who came out to Alberta and publicly gave us the finger, his vision was multiculturalism and Canada could be a diverse melting pot of the world, well we’re there now but the view doesn’t look that great out the windshield  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Interesting 

In my community I don't know one person that would say 1 nice thing about Canadians.  Except Jake of course.....

Retail hates em, restaurants hate them, anyone who drives a vehicle hates.  But like their $. They have a huge rep for rude and selfish behavior.  Does that mean it 100%?  No, but the Lower mainland BC generally is not real nice folks.  I have met a few good ones but generally speaking.  

They prob say same about us

3 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Interesting 

In my community I don't know one person that would say 1 nice thing about Canadians.  Except Jake of course.....

Retail hates em, restaurants hate them, anyone who drives a vehicle hates.  But like their $. They have a huge rep for rude and selfish behavior.  Does that mean it 100%?  No, but the Lower mainland BC generally is not real nice folks.  I have met a few good ones but generally speaking.  

I could not tell you what area he came from other than it probably wasn’t a heavy French area due to the way he spoke by my guessing.

Maybe it’s the “Midwest redneck mentality” but around here you don’t show up acting high and mighty.  You get to work and show people you are high and mighty. Respect is given to a new person at a certain level and they dictate whether or not they receive more or less afterwards based on actions.  That is not the way the current setup in the US is laid out to operate anymore sadly but I will stop there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Interesting 

That's interesting. When I spent time in Vancouver, I was bowled over that people from a big city could ever be so decent. I had a great experience. Actually it was then that my opinion of Toronto changed from generally thinking they were big city rude people, to thinking they were Toronto rude people. I spent a LOT of time in Toronto in my 20's and was just constantly put on the defensive with those people.

I will also say that the most embarrassed I've ever been, to be associated with an American, occurred in Toronto. I watched an ignorant, rude American woman just dress down and berate a concession worker who was doing her job perfectly. It was nearly 20 years ago and still makes me see red. So certainly nothing is absolute.

• Like 2