1967 Case 580CK, low oil, but how?

I just changed the oil and filter on my Case 580CK. It's the 188 diesel. The manual and all over the internet, it calls for 5 quarts. I put in 5 quarts and it barely touches the stick. I put in a 6th quart and now it's at least showing "low". Right now it's sitting at kind of a side angle leaning towards the right hand side a little bit. I don't know... Maybe a previous owner swapped out the dipstick and they were running 7 quarts but I'd think it would have destroyed the engine doing that. I don't want to put more oil in it of course, but it's also a mental conundrum to run it with it showing low on the stick. Will sitting at a slight angle make much of a difference on how the stick reads? I can run the engine and put it back in its normal parking spot but this really has me bothered... I don't really want to run it with an extra quart in the engine either because where I'm at, it's anything but flat. I can see a disaster happening.

I got a few pictures of the dipstick. Give or take 1/8" on the length. The top end is a little bent and it has a curve to it but is this anywhere near what the stock one should be? Did the stock ones have the Easy Grip handle on them? If only I could hear it talking...

222545800_2814324765456665_3929367725210380484_n.jpg

218128529_124474923124166_2362015149707455876_n.jpg

218144867_4745961328771537_4469372598225952356_n.jpg

The filter takes a min. of 1 quart and sometimes more. My 68 580 takes more than book says. I fill to the full line whatever it takes.

17 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

check on level ground for sure

changing the filter may take another quart or so in addition to the capacity of the oil pan

1 hour ago, SONNY said:

The filter takes a min. of 1 quart and sometimes more. My 68 580 takes more than book says. I fill to the full line whatever it takes.

I parked it in its normal place. Not exactly level but it always read full in the mornings previous to this oil change. At the moment, it's halfway between low and full. Based on what you guys say, I'll bring it to the full line and run it. I don't get the manual. Every time I do oil changes, I take the oil capacity as a rough guide and go by the stick. The manual says not to go by the stick but to put in 5 quarts. 5 quarts just about touches the stick. I did the filter as well so that's where the extra quart went. Thanks for setting me straight. This was driving me insane. What's the point of the stick if you're not meant to go by what it tells you? Right now it's at 6 quarts and I'll have it at 6.5 or 7 when I'm done. 1.5 to 2 quarts is pretty huge in my book. Does noone check these manuals against real world? I expect this crap from Haynes, but dang... They'd have me oil starve my engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I would go by the manual .My story on a massey dozer I bought in pieces at a auction. It was literally in a pile,just tracks and frame.They said it was all there owners took it apart and never put it back together. But of course it wasn't all there and many engine parts missing but that was my fault for not looking beforehand.Dip stick was missing.Well put it all back together, engine OH with new crank plus other parts including new dipstick bought from my local massey dealer. 3.152 Perkins only a million out there. Well after two years another OH many oil leaks investigation was in order. After one oil change,and oil leak repair I was ready to try to figure it out.I looked I the manual, I believe it said like 6,7 quarts or something of motor oil.Well I put the stated number in and not on the stick.I kept going and counting it took well over a gallon more to bring it up to full,like 5 quarts.Well no wonder it was blowing it out and leaking it like a sieve. So I pulled dipstick headed to my massey dealer because he had a dozer just like mine,that's where I bought the dipstick along with other parts and wanted to measure mine against his.Walked in told the owner,old massey guy what happened and what I wanted to do. He didn't even have to go outside to measure, took one look at it and knew it was wrong.He said that one I had was for 3.152 in tractors or skidloaders they had a different shaped pan,my dozer took a different length of stick.Took mine and handed me the correct one.But for the life of me I never thought to question the stick since it was new and bought from a dealer.Costly lesson for me.Parts guy order it for a 3.152 not for the dozer.