Jump to content

steel price


pt756
 Share

Recommended Posts

So in relation to everything else….it’s right on point!

I needed to purchase some plumbing fittings. I don’t do much, but I keep a few lengths of pipe and a small box of fittings and solder  etc on hand. Thought I would grab some more to make sure I had enough. I decided I was going to have enough when I seen the price of a three-quarter pipe thread to sweat fit fitting at about $15 and a union was 23.  10 foot length of half inch pipe, $28. That is all up about 300% if I’m remembering correctly. Wire is worse.  I rolled 100 foot piece of wire out of the rafters a few weeks ago, typically I would not reuse 30 year old wire, but after inspecting it, I rolled that hundred foot piece right back out in the opposite direction and put a switch and receptacle on the other end of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t even get me started on this...

our metal shop has a 5-10% increase every two weeks...on the material you can find....

plumbing side and hvac are no better

equipment ordered but not available, long delays on parts...

one water main job the material went up 30,000 bucks from award of contract to first bucket of dirt removed... this is all stupid 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We bought a new couch - wife asks about a love seat too. They said they can get one to match but will take 6 to 8 months... some kind of foam rubber shortage.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

its all over in everything, thank you bailout $$ and C - still ongoing because of supplemental handouts not sure it will ever return to what we used to know - its a great way to milk things but how long can we survive it as a country? 

I was looking at a gooseneck and the sales guy said 16 mos if I ordered today and couldnt guarantee price - gave me a partial quote 

def going to have to go used what used to be 10K is now 20K and NO i am not kidding 

going to have to put more in my piggy bank first 

got a line on new white oak for my current bumper pull decking 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted at the end of May about the Annhydrous Ammonia knife shortage. I scrounged up enough to apply our Nitrogen this year. Dad had originally tried to order them through Shoup. I found what we needed through another source. At first Dad was going to cancel the order. I said keep it. I said maybe with enough time we can have them for next year. 

Last week, Dad gets a invoice for shipping for Annhydrous knives. Sweet, his order is finally coming in. Only partially. We get the box. Man this is light for 23 knives. Look at the invoice. We got 3. The other 20 will come when they receive more. This is over 2 months after the original order. ?. At this rate the order won't be fulfilled by the time next year Nitrogen season comes around. They also are waiting for Subsoiler points for our Zonebuilder.

Another piece I'm waiting on is a plastic door cover for the 7230 we bought. The one on it currently is cracked in a number of places and looks rough. I thought since I was doing a few pieces of cab trim anyway I would replace it too. Wrong, everyplace that carries them has none in stock and the quickest they might get any is September. Kept my order because, well, Christ knows when there might be a ready supply. Kinda irratates me right now because I have cleaned the rest of the tractor up nice but every time I open the door I see that clapped out door panel.

Been running into this periodically now for a while now. Was at the dealer for parts for our square baler last week. Got lucky that a nearby dealer had the piece. The parts guy showed us a list over 5 pages long of backordered parts. Some that have been on backorder since early April. ??.

Uncle does construction as he wants as he is technically retired now. He has had window orders out since last winter that are now just being fulfilled. I have a remodel on my 2nd floor of my house that needs to be done but I'm not looking forward to it because of all these supply issues. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current administration...............Yes, Mr Ice Cream aviator head over there<<<<<<<<<<<<<< is not at all worried about inflation...........................Wonder if he even knows what it is?  Heck, just sell another art painting I guess, who cares:angry:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought an Alliarc bumper/grill guard for my truck the first of the year. Was told 5 to 6 months. Ok. It showed up Memorial Day. Had a shop try to install it, because I am lazy. Not the correct frame mounts. Return the wrong parts, they send new mounts. It sat on the dock in Kansas City for 10 days. Finally showed up at the house on Friday and the mounts are a half inch to narrow. 
I/my wife, ordered a custom built one from Bison in Missouri. Hopefully I will have it by rut!!

The price for the Bison hasn’t gone up since I talked to them back in January, I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 101Pathfinder said:

We bought a new couch - wife asks about a love seat too. They said they can get one to match but will take 6 to 8 months... some kind of foam rubber shortage.

My wife works for a company that sells amish made furniture online, all furniture foam uses a chemical that is only made in 2 factories and they both received major damage when Texas froze last winter.  

 

The company she works for (Amish Furniture Factory) has a 6-8 month lead time on orders, their sales for 2021 so far have already beat their total sales for 2019.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried to get a new Honda push mower for work this week. All the dealers had in stock were self propelled. Said they could order the one we wanted in, but it would take at least a month, and they weren't willing to even guarantee that. Maybe I should go ahead and get it on order so we can have it to cut grass with next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

major damage when Texas froze last winter. 

Same for lots of materials. We looked all over the country for a pool liner. Finally got one through our neighbor who builds pools. He said we could put it up for auction and triple our money!

Texas freeze coupled with a plant in Mexico that was shut down for some reason. Plastics in shortage everywhere but not much due to covid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I posted at the end of May about the Annhydrous Ammonia knife shortage. I scrounged up enough to apply our Nitrogen this year. Dad had originally tried to order them through Shoup. I found what we needed through another source. At first Dad was going to cancel the order. I said keep it. I said maybe with enough time we can have them for next year. 

Last week, Dad gets a invoice for shipping for Annhydrous knives. Sweet, his order is finally coming in. Only partially. We get the box. Man this is light for 23 knives. Look at the invoice. We got 3. The other 20 will come when they receive more. This is over 2 months after the original order. ?. At this rate the order won't be fulfilled by the time next year Nitrogen season comes around. They also are waiting for Subsoiler points for our Zonebuilder.

Another piece I'm waiting on is a plastic door cover for the 7230 we bought. The one on it currently is cracked in a number of places and looks rough. I thought since I was doing a few pieces of cab trim anyway I would replace it too. Wrong, everyplace that carries them has none in stock and the quickest they might get any is September. Kept my order because, well, Christ knows when there might be a ready supply. Kinda irratates me right now because I have cleaned the rest of the tractor up nice but every time I open the door I see that clapped out door panel.

Been running into this periodically now for a while now. Was at the dealer for parts for our square baler last week. Got lucky that a nearby dealer had the piece. The parts guy showed us a list over 5 pages long of backordered parts. Some that have been on backorder since early April. ??.

Uncle does construction as he wants as he is technically retired now. He has had window orders out since last winter that are now just being fulfilled. I have a remodel on my 2nd floor of my house that needs to be done but I'm not looking forward to it because of all these supply issues. 

What makes you think you’ll even be able to afford anhydrous next year? Hearing quotes from guys for $1-1100 a ton for fall.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

What makes you think you’ll even be able to afford anhydrous next year? Hearing quotes from guys for $1-1100 a ton for fall.

I was wondering if fertilizer would be readily available or not

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

one water main job the material went up 30,000 bucks from award of contract to first bucket of dirt removed... this is all stupid 

I was doing some construction staking a couple days ago and was talking to the utility guys putting watermain in. He said it's so bad getting pipe that people are starting to steal it from other job sites so they can finish their own jobs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jesse in WI said:

I was doing some construction staking a couple days ago and was talking to the utility guys putting watermain in. He said it's so bad getting pipe that people are starting to steal it from other job sites so they can finish their own jobs.

I can definitely see that! It used to be you’d have a couple sore losers that’d drill holes randomly in the pipe to screw ya up....

too dumb to realize municipal projects are taxpayer funded I guess...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

I can definitely see that! It used to be you’d have a couple sore losers that’d drill holes randomly in the pipe to screw ya up....

That's quite the dirty trick. One that might find you buried under the water line if you mess with the wrong company.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

What makes you think you’ll even be able to afford anhydrous next year? Hearing quotes from guys for $1-1100 a ton for fall.

I'm sure the other forms aren't going to be any cheaper. Not equipped to handle 28%. No one rents 28% applicators anymore around here which leads you with spreading Urea on. Not the handiest side dressing that onto standing corn for a split N application everyone does around here. 

Not anywhere near as rich of soil as the I states around here .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Topdressed the sudangrass fields with super U last week.  $542? a ton.  A little quick math I get $27 an acre for 30 days worth of available nitrogen.  (30 day planned cutting cycle). Thought about cutting back but am I really helping myself if I do that?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back to the original topic I don't know anything about steel price other then wagons have gone up 25% if you can even get one and the model of hay rake I was eyeing is up close to 25% also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bitty said:

I was wondering if fertilizer would be readily available or not

It has been in short supply in certain forms already. Mainly in liquid around here where shortages have happened. 

A number of guys had issues getting liquid starter this spring and what they sometimes got wasn't the greatest quality.

A couple of the neighbors had trouble with low quality liquid starter plugging the orifices on the planter. That left some streaked, haggard looking corn because of lack of starter fertilizer. 

Another one I heard was hard to get around here is the Liberty family of herbicides in Soybeans. Very hard to come by. 

Another one is getting anything in 2 1/2 gallon jugs. Bulk is fine because you reuse the totes and shuttles. But because of the whole plastic issue. Getting anything in 2 1/2 or containers like that is difficult.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Scrap is going up to the point that people are starting to scrap the old collectible stuff that we want. Replacement parts are going to get really scarce again.

The last time I sold scrap I got $220/ton for it. I said I wasn’t going to sell any until I could get $200/ton again. I have a lot of it, if gets that high I’m going to haul it off. None of mine is collectible, it’s mostly worn out combine and planter parts and a lot of worn out augers. I know I haven’t hauled any in ten years.
 

If NH3 gets real high and the corn market doesn’t look good there won’t be anymore corn planted on my ground than what the cows need. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...