Help ID please

Sledgehammer

Mowed over this earlier. Had no idea it was there in tall grass. About 10’ from the cattle pond. We don’t have cottonmouth snakes around here very much so I’d need help with an ID on this. Head was too gone to tell anything. Very large diameter body and about 3’ long. Some shed skin there close and what looked like babies almost ready to be born came out.... I’ll bet she was 5-6” around.  Any experts?

CDF75BB5-D647-4ECF-B970-E36F4D66E543.jpeg

CDA6153F-4299-4866-8B3D-55F0FCBA49B0.jpeg

502F0C79-57EA-4995-9F25-26C416794598.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

That would be what is better know as a “ Dead Snake “

Graveyard Dead...  probably a harmless water snake. I spend a lot of time outdoors and have never seen one that size around here. Belly scales near the tail say harmless. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

As Johnny Carson would say , 

“ I did not know that “ 

The problem is, they don’t let you pick them up to see that feature while they are living.  Cant totally blame them though.  If someone tried to pick me up and look at my butt I might not agree either...

A80975CA-FDD9-4FA1-A2AA-7A1AB2B4EA84.jpeg

9B868BB3-C1B2-4577-B731-AB8B0460A968.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Fella I work with has a saying regarding something else that would work here.

”there’s three kinds, big ole good-uns, good ole biggins, and OH MY GOSH!” 

this one would fall into the last one... 

It really wasn’t on purpose  I was mowing along the fence around the pasture and plugged up the mower.  Turned deck off and backed out to see that thing ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

It really wasn’t on purpose  I was mowing along the fence around the pasture and plugged up the mower.  Turned deck off and backed out to see that thing ?

it helps if you hold your feet up on the rider as you mow over them

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

The problem is, they don’t let you pick them up to see that feature while they are living.  Cant totally blame them though.  If someone tried to pick me up and look at my butt I might not agree either...

A80975CA-FDD9-4FA1-A2AA-7A1AB2B4EA84.jpeg

9B868BB3-C1B2-4577-B731-AB8B0460A968.jpeg

i remember someone showing us that in school but i couldnt remember the details of venemous or not, also their head/eyes round vs slanted, head shape also a contributor to identification but most if I am uncertain get danced on then identified later - my gma used to dice them up like chicken nuggets - ninja granny 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

it helps if you hold your feet up on the rider as you mow over them

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

I mow with my Farmall A and if I hit a snake like that in my yard I would be looking for an AV to get further away yet 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, bitty said:

I mow with my Farmall A and if I hit a snake like that in my yard I would be looking for an AV to get further away yet 

Set up your gauge wheels so you can drop the deck on it!   The pieces in that picture above are way to big for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TP from Central PA said:

Set up your gauge wheels so you can drop the deck on it!   The pieces in that picture above are way to big for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I would want more horsepower also, bigger fuel tank to ensure that I don't run out while rearranging the shape of the reptile

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Other thread was talking about things shot out at you with bush hogs, imagine that being wrapped around you neck for a scarf

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Other thread was talking about things shot out at you with bush hogs, imagine that being wrapped around you neck for a scarf

I don’t mind snakes but flying out around my neck and I would have gone into orbit

• Haha 1

I remember a guy on here years ago talking about operating Eimco dozers in Nam, bit different setup where the operator sits up front, excellent visibility, anyway when clearing brush the snakes would drop out of the trees right into your office, sometimes not always best to be first to the party?

BE050BBD-A021-4BCB-BA5A-B455C2F5D8B8.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I remember a guy on here years ago talking about operating Eimco dozers in Nam, bit different setup where the operator sits up front, excellent visibility, anyway when clearing brush the snakes would drop out of the trees right into your office, sometimes not always best to be first to the party?

Was told a story by a Vet where he got sent somewhere out of country for R&R and a king cobra came in their barracks the first night. He says “heck, we were supposed to be in a SAFE place”. They killed It with brooms and mops. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

If that is a water snake I have never saw one that big or even close to it

That’s what I thought. I know they are typically short and stout. I was close to a pond in the pasture but have never seen snakes there before. This thing was just about square. Seen lots of water snakes but never one I thought could drink a beer and smoke cigarettes....

• Haha 2