Dirt_Floor_Poor

I had a guy that we have cash rented about 25 acres from for a few years tell me he was going to get someone else to do it next year. I thought we were doing this guy a favor even renting this place from him. It is adjacent to a much larger farm that we have in the area or we wouldn’t even have been interested in it in the first place. He tried to farm it himself years ago and couldn’t do any good with it so he asked us since we were across the street if we would just do his place, so we agreed. We are what I would call a mid size farming operation and we struggle to find enough help and get everything done as good as we should sometimes. If this was a share crop agreement I can see an owner wanting theirs planted first, but when they get the same money with a bumper crop as a crop failure, I just don’t see why it matters to them. The thing that makes me mad is that whoever rented this was apparently falling all over themselves to get it. It’s obviously not about the money to me since 25 acres generates almost no revenue at all and rather we farm it or not will not affect the bottom line. I am so sick of dealing with landowners and even more sick of dealing with local and even sometimes not so local farmers. It seems anyone here would throw you under the bus for a nickel. I would like to hear stories from others in a similar situation. They probably need to vent too. 

• Sad 1

It matters to them because maybe someone like me who is hungry for land is offering them something you are not.   Maybe they are a land hog,  or maybe its a guy with a town job who is so sick of doing that job  he would do anything for that 25 acres to farm?

You said it wont break you, so forget it and move on.   That is my advice

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cjf711 said:

It matters to them because maybe someone like me who is hungry for land is offering them something you are not.   Maybe they are a land hog,  or maybe its a guy with a town job who is so sick of doing that job  he would do anything for that 25 acres to farm?

You said it wont break you, so forget it and move on.   That is my advice

Yes it won’t break me, but I guarantee it’s not going to make whoever got it either. This is the exact attitude that I’m talking about. I folded the 24 row planter five times to plant it. No BTO would want it. I would never rent 25 acres without consulting the current tenant because I don’t like making enemies over stupid stuff like this. If you go around trying to get land away from people all the time I guess you shouldn’t be surprised when someone with deeper pockets than you shows up to return the favor. 

• Like 2

......we only have a very modest   100   acres of flat land for our maize   crop......we have a lot of hill......steep to overhanging....

....we rented about a 1000 acre's in total, of which  200 was clean...the rest easy Crawler country..(D6 and the 9-91series...)...we did a bunch of work over 5 years on the block...fence's/gates....root raking scrub for winter feed etc....

We were told...for our endeavours in improving this land etc...the owners....several 60 plus yr women...."the lease will just roll over..""

..it didn't because the adjacent diary farmer, seemed to be doing very well.....thus the 'ladies'decided to put the lease out to tender...We lifted our price 20%...and came a distant second.....

I know its a ''business ''  decision...but it still rankled   some.... I really enjoyed the work on the lease block.. Like contour discing with tracks.....beats the heck out of a flat paddock...with a radio and A/C...and rubber tyres

Mike

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I had a guy that we have cash rented about 25 acres from for a few years tell me he was going to get someone else to do it next year. I thought we were doing this guy a favor even renting this place from him. It is adjacent to a much larger farm that we have in the area or we wouldn’t even have been interested in it in the first place. He tried to farm it himself years ago and couldn’t do any good with it so he asked us since we were across the street if we would just do his place, so we agreed. We are what I would call a mid size farming operation and we struggle to find enough help and get everything done as good as we should sometimes. If this was a share crop agreement I can see an owner wanting theirs planted first, but when they get the same money with a bumper crop as a crop failure, I just don’t see why it matters to them. The thing that makes me mad is that whoever rented this was apparently falling all over themselves to get it. It’s obviously not about the money to me since 25 acres generates almost no revenue at all and rather we farm it or not will not affect the bottom line. I am so sick of dealing with landowners and even more sick of dealing with local and even sometimes not so local farmers. It seems anyone here would throw you under the bus for a nickel. I would like to hear stories from others in a similar situation. They probably need to vent too. 

no offense to the 25acre renter ( undisclosed ) but being you and I are neighbors here is what I am seeing around here. People renting small plots for hunting and paying the price per acre for cash rent its cheaper than a hunt lease believe it or not in some cases. They agree to do whatever teh owner wants and pay someone to just mow it or put in hay and do their lil food plots etc.....just to have a place to hunt. 

Some guys are trying to undercut and get more land to farm because it takes more these days, seeing that some. 

some wanting more ground for haying and pay to not have it cropped and plant grass on it. 

crazy times we are seeing 

• Like 1

The landowner did not disclose what his new compensation was going to be?  Could be any number of things.  The new tenant might have offered more money with no better prospect of turning a profit than you.  Nobody will speak this aloud but I think more rent is being paid under the table.  Around me I hear names mentioned as being involved with illegal enterprises so they have cash to launder or play with.  There is definitely an ego aspect involved as somebody no doubt wants to say he works more ground in the community than the previous year.  It does not sound like you were making much from renting that ground so your equipment will no longer have to under go the extra wear and tear on those 25 acres.  People can just be funny sometimes and not have a rational reason for making a switch in tenants.  The years that I rented ground I had to deal with people who were hard to gauge in personality and that can make a tenant/owner relationship difficult.  I really did not lose much when those relationships came to an end as most years I was lucky to break even on the rentals.  

Speaking on the perspective of someone who'd like to find more land to rent to get more of my own rather than just assisting my family. Sometimes you need to outbid another or do something to get an opportunity.  I guess you have to decide if you want to pay more than you'd like to get your foot in the door or if you just let it go.  Opportunities don't come along often.  Larger operations aren't usually willing to give land up and they have economies of scale that allow them to pay higher rent.  I hear a lot about the poor farmer not making money but rising cash rent and land values don't really fit into that picture.

I agree 25 acres isn't enough to get to crazy about.  But just trying to give you another prospective.

8 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Yes it won’t break me, but I guarantee it’s not going to make whoever got it either. This is the exact attitude that I’m talking about. I folded the 24 row planter five times to plant it. No BTO would want it. I would never rent 25 acres without consulting the current tenant because I don’t like making enemies over stupid stuff like this. If you go around trying to get land away from people all the time I guess you shouldn’t be surprised when someone with deeper pockets than you shows up to return the favor. 

The deeper pockets are going to come calling regardless of what you do or would do.   The wolves are at my door all the time on family land,   what can you do?

You do what you can so that you can be happy when you look in the mirror,  Hopefully an opportunity comes along where you can say,  thank the lord im not dinking around folding that planter 5 times over at whereever you are at.   Thats how i look at the battles ive lost... Nothing really has opened up, but maybe someday?

Could be a young man came by and the land owner wanted to help a young guy get started. 
You said it was a pain to farm and you were cash renting it. Be happy someone else has to deal with it and move on. 
I would love to have 25 acres to play with my tractors on, and 20 years ago I would have paid too much to do it. Now days, I just pay to have the feed delivered. 

Been on both sides of that fence. And if you picked it up in the first place you have too. The only thing that would bother me would be I would want to know what they are getting better. If it's a young guy he would of just told you that. More money he would of gave you a shot and matching it. He's probably mad at you for something. Trust me I've been there too. Sometimes you can't please everyone. I've got a landlord that i do every single thing I'm asked of. Spraying fences, fertilizer, brush hogging, etc.  And it's all wrong according to what he tells the neighbors (not me)  its done too late to spray, brush hogged too high, not done early enough, fence wasnt stretched tight enough, fertilizer wasnt spread heavy enough. Etc. Our conversations are much different than his and the other neighbors. If I didn't need the land I'd tell him I'm tired of his $hit and lying to the neighbors on my behalf. They all know hes batty and everything was handed to him spoiled brat. 60y/o that never left mama's side. She left him 600 acres and a bunch of money.  2 years later the money's gone, and land is disappearing fast.  Nothing to show for it. 

• Sad 1

The thing is, whoever owns it can decide what to do with it, even if it's totally stupid.  When my neighbors bought their place I asked them if I could cut hay on the 30 or so acres next to me, not to sell, but to feed my cows with. I offered to fertilize and lime and guaranteed that no one but me would be on it. Apparently, someone had told them that cutting hay would deplete and ultimately ruin the land, so they said no. Instead, they have bushogged it once a year in July with the mower set as low as it will go, leaving massive clumps everywhere. After about 5 years now, it looks really, really bad. But, that's what they wanted to do. 

5 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

The thing is, whoever owns it can decide what to do with it, even if it's totally stupid

Land, unlike paper money, they ain't makin' any more of it.

If you own it (actually, rent it from the Gov in the form of taxes) you are in charge. 

I have dealt with landlords all my life. Been through some less than stellar individuals.

Finally found a good family, going on 23 years now. 

Been  a handshake agreement since day one. 

Had a good visit with them the other day since they have a third generation that will be looking for something. They see no need to change our agreement in the foreseeable future. And, that is some comfort. 

Sacrifices need to be made whether to a landlord or a banker with land payments. 

Agriculture is a business and a way of life you have to love. 

My grandpa has got a good renter for our river ground, his rent is enough to pay the taxes on I. He is a good friend and a **** of a guy. Only thing we ask of him is get rid of the deer lol. We have some cidiots out of Omaha that border our ground. We just laugh at them Cabela's  hunters, trying to get trophy deer in my area is perty impossible but they have to much money so what the heck.

I guess my post was more about the culture out here in the country than anything. It wasn’t that long ago that there wasn’t competition between neighbors here, at least certainly not like there is now. There was and is plenty of work for anyone around here who wants to do it. When I started farming I did a lot of custom work and worked on other peoples machinery to make up for the shortfalls in revenue. I was never able to make a living on what my dad and my brother and me had until we were able to rent two large farms that our neighbors had. One of them retired from farming and the other farmed up until the day he passed away and his daughter rented it to us. I didn’t have to get current tenants kicked out so I could move in. It just seems like guys can’t start at the bottom anymore. This deal that I posted here has happened a hundred times over the years and that is the reason for this rant. The guy who owns it ran it himself, he couldn’t do any good with it and gave up. His family has owned this little piece for a long time, I would guess 100+ years. His dad made a living farming a little row crops and the pasture they own at one time. He offered it to us, we didn’t push anyone out to get it. We made something out of what little it was and then someone else decides they deserve it more than us. I guess by some of the responses on here I should just wait to find out who got it. Then see if he’s got anything I’d like to have and take my checkbook and go have a chat with the owner. I guess what is fair is fair. If it was a thousand acres I would be mad at the loss of revenue, for this I’m just mad about people treating each other poorly and not even thinking anything of it. I probably wouldn’t be so mad about it if it hadn’t already happened so many times. I guess I should be used to it by now. It used to be different out here and now it’s just the same everywhere. 

8 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

If I didn't need the land I'd tell him I'm tired of his $hit and lying to the neighbors on my behalf. They all know hes batty and everything was handed to him spoiled brat.

You may have just told him. Stranger things have happened.