Tractor of the week # 19 1026

INTERNATIONAL 1466

This week our model is the 1026. While these are not often seen around the country farming today, it is easy to find them fully restored at the shows. The 1026 is a highly sought after collector tractor today. I only know of one 1026 that was still in service on the farm up until a few years ago, and it is gone now too. Anyone farming with one yet? Let's see some 1026's.

74671.jpg

4676-td4-b01.jpg

• Like 4

I noticed a 1026 goldie at Du Quoin that had a cat. II hitch.

I always thought the 1026 was basically a 1256 Hydro, and came with cat. III, but I've never been around one.

Back in high school, the farmer I worked for demoed a brand new golden demo 1026 open station on his farm that the dealer brought out for him to try. I got to run it too. I thought it was pretty cool. The 1026 went back, and eventually, my boss purchased a brand new 966 gear drive instead. Oh well. Lol. The 966 replaced a 560 Diesel on his farm. On top of that, we knew a guy who also demoed that same 1026, and it didn’t leave his farm. He bought it, and it stayed gold all the time he owned it. They never took it back and repainted it red. Amazing now, lol. That must be how some of the gold demos stayed gold all their lives. A farmer would say I’ll take it, and the dealer just left it there on the farm, and the gold demo never got taken back to get a repaint to red before getting sold. Any thoughts on this? 

3 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Back in high school, the farmer I worked for demoed a brand new golden demo 1026 open station on his farm that the dealer brought out for him to try. I got to run it too. I thought it was pretty cool. The 1026 went back, and eventually, my boss purchased a brand new 966 gear drive instead. Oh well. Lol. The 966 replaced a 560 Diesel on his farm. On top of that, we knew a guy who also demoed that same 1026, and it didn’t leave his farm. He bought it, and it stayed gold all the time he owned it. They never took it back and repainted it red. Amazing now, lol. That must be how some of the gold demos stayed gold all their lives. A farmer would say I’ll take it, and the dealer just left it there on the farm, and the gold demo never got taken back to get a repaint to red before getting sold. Any thoughts on this? 

That is true. A lot of gold demos never went back for the red paint. Still find some yet today.

3 hours ago, acem said:

I have the back half of a 1026 and it had a cat 2 three point hitch.

Evidently I thought wrong.  Thanks for the info.

My cousin works for a  5,000 acre farmer here in SE MN that has one completely restored. The old man moved here from Germany back in the 70s and that was one of the first tractors he bought. He's retired but the son still uses it as an auger tractor and other light duty's around the farm.  I assume they like it or they woulda gotten rid of it

Semi local mulch hay guy pulls a rake with one 

Dad had one from 1972 until he was hit by a semi in 1998. The tractor was completely totaled and dad was almost killed. Will get some pictures of it on here eventually. He sold it to a guy who ended up welding it back together. I don’t have any pictures of it back together , just what it looked like before the wreck and after.

• Sad 2

I know of a neighbor that has one and has had it since new. Doesn’t see much action anymore but it’s relatively low hours and looks good. They’d probably never sell it as they have several IH tractors they bought new and still have. 

That was quite a project if someone put that back together. Ouch. Someone clipped a 1066 axle here about 15 years ago passing them. It was a straight spot in the road, they just came up from behind and weren’t paying attention. The collision broke the axle housing off, the driver of the tractor wasn’t hurt much at all. The guy that was passing him, he was in bad shape though. 

We have a pair of them here.  Dad's is a loader tractor that still gets used for everything.  Mine is a gold demo that is still a work in progress.  I need to get some current pictures of it now that I see this one.  Great tractors that are handier than a shirt pocket.

20190803_125343.jpg

20210116_135522.jpg

20190808_185106.jpg

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Alan, that is about as destroyed as I have ever seen.  Amazing that your father lived through it. ?

He was torn up internally, pretty bad. Only external damage was a small puncture on his wrist where his watch , wind up knob stabbed him. He had broken ribs, punctured lung and ruptured spleen. He was kept in a coma for 28 days so he could start healing better than if he was awake for it.

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

He was torn up internally, pretty bad. Only external damage was a small puncture on his wrist where his watch , wind up knob stabbed him. He had broken ribs, punctured lung and ruptured spleen. He was kept in a coma for 28 days so he could start healing better than if he was awake for it.

My GOD. Not even sure what to say here.  First question is what the **** happened. Guessing that truck wasnt toodling the speed limit 

1 minute ago, Dan Robinson said:

Only a couple 1026s in our area. 

Here's a one family owned Gold demo. Has 14k plus hrs and still used weekly on the feed grinder and assorted chores. 

20200826_111158.jpg

20200826_103119.jpg

20200826_110705.jpg

Cool to see that stuff still out there. ????

Good lord on the wreck.  It is hard to believe someone could survive something like that.  It obviously wasn't his time yet.