300 Farmall engine?

Hello everyone seems I am the proud owner of a 300.      I already over paid but it was my uncles  and great uncle's.     

I new it was a non runner but wasn't sure why.    After the sale a got ahold of the guy who helped him mechanic on it.    It is getting antifreeze in oil.    What are the possibilities??      And witch is most likely??

Thanks.   Already over my head might as well swim lol.  

• Like 1

I would say the best case scenario is bad head gasket, worst case is bad head or block. How severely is it leaking? Gas or diesel? (Did they make a 300 diesel?) have you pressure tested it? 

Those are dry sleeved motors hope it just a head gasket on yours , My Super M developed a crack behind the sleeve when I had that happen

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

PHello everyone seems I am the proud owner of a 300.      I already over paid but it was my uncles  and great uncle's.     

I am glad to see you have a family tractor. I have just bought an uncle's 186 and it needs cosmetic help. I will have more than it's worth in it in the end but it's going to be a good investment for happiness in the long run

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bitty said:

I am glad to see you have a family tractor. I have just bought an uncle's 186 and it needs cosmetic help. I will have more than it's worth in it in the end but it's going to be a good investment for happiness in the long run

It could be a head gasket, cracked head , cracked block or a combination of these . I have a 400 that gets antifreeze in the oil but really slowly. I haven't dug in the problem yet but fortunately I have a parts 400 that might have a good head or block if needed 

you could pull the pan first .  have a cardboard under it with rad full . then watch for drips  on card board then inspect with a good light where they are coming from.  can be a very slow drip . that would be the best thing to do, as taking apart first can be hit and miss on a slow leak.

• Like 2

Agree with rustred ----- that would give you a better idea of what area its coming from!  I did that on a Cummins 555 and found it leaking under the bottom of 1 sleve, so the cardboard trick does work in helping find the point of origian of leaks.

Keep a close eye on it. Doesn't take much antifreeze in the oil to wipe the bearings out

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Keep a close eye on it. Doesn't take much antifreeze in the oil to wipe the bearings out

I agree 

It still needs alot of TLC. It has set for many years.  Think I will drain the oil.  Fill with water and see what comes out the oil pan.  It could bee a very small leak.       The battery that was in it was from 2013.  

• Like 1

I have found leaks with a mechanics stethoscope and pressuring the system (not running) pretty cost effective diagnostic tool. Be careful not to drag the probe over stuff, your ears will ring for a day or so.  

2 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

Well gas and battery a tap on carb and it fired right up.   So not as bad as the mechanic made it sound.  

did you loosen the oil drain plug first to drain off any antifreeze if there  was any in the oil.? kind of a common procedure when you know you have coolant leaking into oil pan.

• Like 1

My 300 had a cracked sleeve and bore in the block when I got it 25 years ago. I applied a liberal coating of green Loctite and installed a good used sleeve. I added some Iron-tite to the coolant and it has never leaked a drop. Lots of hard running hours on that tractor since too.

• Like 1