Miles From Nowhere

sandhiller

Is the title of a book someone gave me.

The author traveled the country finding counties with less than one person per square mile. And then wrote about them.

Cherry Co Nebraska is one of them.

We got more cows than people, how many? I dunno but then I don't know what day it is half the time.

Got me wondering, anybody else out there live in a county that would qualify?

The beautiful pics that Mike posts, I'll bet he qualifies.

Any way, if I go out in my pastures and don't look up at the tin cans full of people in a hurry to get somewhere other than where they been. I can feel like I'm the only one on earth.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Any way, if I go out in my pastures and don't look up at the tin cans full of people in a hurry to get somewhere other than where they been. I can feel like I'm the only one on earth.

...and long may it stay that way, Jeff.....:wub:

....always liked that 'picture'' of a vast    sprawling mass of humanity in a /the concrete jungle.......then the picture of some cattle, grazing on a green paddock...somewhere.......

......and the caption    saying....how "we need to get cattle numbers down...."......ostensibly to save the planet.... "" gheez    makes you wonder, don't  it ??""...to quote my Utah friend.....

Mike

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Thats funny there are a lot of people who can't stand being alone, every year when hunting I get the same thrill of which you speak, when I rode the sickle all over h*lls half acre it was a hoot, sleeping under the stars or a parked 18 wheeler, but, i also have no aversion to standing in the middle of a crowd, but if I have my druthers....................

• Like 3

On 7/25/2021 at 12:36 AM, Dasnake said:

Thats funny there are a lot of people who can't stand being alone, every year when hunting I get the same thrill of which you speak, when I rode the sickle all over h*lls half acre it was a hoot, sleeping under the stars or a parked 18 wheeler, but, i also have no aversion to standing in the middle of a crowd, but if I have my druthers....................

Ya know Jake, I think there are people who don't have the opportunity to be by themselves hunting or riding their scoot.

They are locked into a maze of people they can't escape.

I guess if that happened to me, I would turn into a liberal too.?

EDIT: ok after a little sleep, thinking clearer, I would never turn into a liberal ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

From an old book set in the Scottish Highlands

"Alone doesn't mean lonely"

Amen to that 

• Like 6

Have a feeling there is sheep somewhere connected to that....

• Haha 3

Oh5.1 per mile is the county average... But the northen half is 1 or below... 2 houses within a mile but plenty of range to average that out

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Not here. The farm north of me is covered in nasty shacks with boats, side by sides, campers etc.  1/4 mile south of me is a 4 lane highway, There are days when the wind and weather keeps the noise down to almost nothing, But you still can't pee outside in the middle of the night without someone driving by on the gravel.

I guess on the positive side when the alternator locks up on the old pos you can have one in your hand in about 15 minutes unless you get a slow parts guy.

• Sad 1

I think Potter county is one of the least populated in PA but I think it's going to be over the 1 per mile by a bit. I just duck duck goed and it's 16 per mile

• Like 1

I don't think there is county on the east coast that has a population density of less than 1.5 per sq mile 

Piscataquis County Maine - 1.5 per sq mile 

Where my camp is at, Washington County Maine it's at 4.5 and all the population is on the sea coast if you go a few miles off the coast into the woods in some areas its Zero because there is no development.

I have had a couple long walk outs from break downs or getting stuck no cell service off the coast. 

• Like 1

My Brother live's about 5 miles from LL Bean in Freeport Maine. As far as the population density in the summer, I don't think you can count that high!

• Haha 3

Franklin county is alot higher at 18 per square mile but we may have more cattle  than people. We definitely have more turkeys and chicken than people. 8m certain we have more guns than people.

Round my place the population is low but just north are three small towns. 

So why were you up at 2am sandhiller?

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

With a couple good sized "bedroom" towns for Peoria and Bloomington IL, Woodford Co. Runs 73.3/mile......2010 census......but at least all the rural areas have tar and chip roads!    Small enough to be rural, big enough to have tax base to eliminate gravel country roads.....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TomH said:

My Brother live's about 5 miles from LL Bean in Freeport Maine. As far as the population density in the summer, I don't think you can count that high!

I loved it up there...............It was crowded in the summer, but in the winter I am guessing its pretty sparce.

• Like 1

Friend of my SIL moved here from NY City several years ago, and commented that he felt uncomfortably lonely whenever he went outside at night and could see the stars.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, TomH said:

You are just outside of Portland there and in the summer its pretty crowded up the coast to Bar Harbor 

I am 200 miles northeast of there 20 miles west of Lubec 

The older I get-------the more I enjoy the sound of "silence".

re: sparsely polulated counties---IH related story

Issaquena County, Mississippi in the south Delta is sparsely populated but not as thin as Cherry County, Nebraska. 

Sometime in the late 40s early 50s----IH ran a nationwide ad stating that IH cornered 100% of new truck sales in Issaquena County, Mississippi for that particular year.  It was true--------the 1 truck purchased for the year in Issaquena County was an International!!!!?

Mr. D Bogard----mgr of the IHC dealership in Rolling Fork (Delta Implement) used to get a big laugh out of that story.  (he sold the truck)

DD

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Clark Co. S.D.

967 Sq.  Mi.

3631 pop.

Roughly 4/sq. mi.

The amazing thing to me, the 1920 pop was 11136.... or 11.5 per sq. mi.

HMMMMM

Mike

• Like 3

Garfield County, Montana. Population = 1100 (if you count dogs/cats/and close relatives)

Hospital and court house parking lot were gravel (1999), maybe still are.    

Boys have been told that some of my ashes are going to get spread there.

• Like 2

Looked up the census data for Livingston co Mo. Shows 28.5 per square mile.

Thanks to the urban plague my surrounding square mile would be close to twice that. NO THEY DON'T FRIGGIN LEAVE FOR WINTER EITHER

There is couple that lives in town that drives by numerous times a day. They leave town to come out this way so they can double back to town. I can't figure it out I know every time I move on the road , here they come. Yesterday I had to return to the shed with the baler ( probably no need to describe the mood )  but is it still road rage if you are in a tractor ? Little feller on my shoulder was trying to convince me it wasn't .?

• Haha 1

Junk.....I feel your pain. They move out of the city to get away from the city, and the first thing they do is start making it like the city.

Bozeman Montana is a classic example....... Most people refer to it as BozAngeles 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Is the title of a book someone gave me.

The author traveled the country finding counties with less than one person per square mile. And then wrote about them.

Cherry Co Nebraska is one of them.

We got more cows than people, how many? I dunno but then I don't know what day it is half the time.

The beautiful pics that Mike posts, I'll bet he qualifies.

Oh my God I want that so bad.

You are blessed.

I will get there someday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Junk.....I feel your pain. They move out of the city to get away from the city, and the first thing they do is start making it like the city.

Bozeman Montana is a classic example....... Most people refer to it as BozAngeles 

I got them across the road from me.

• Like 1