What I've been up to

Pete1468

Pulled the trigger on a new shed this winter before the big price hikes.  It's a 52x80 heated shop with 18 side walls.  I'm putting a 28 ft hydraulic door on it.  In the last pic I'm building the overhead storage that'll run the length of the shop over my work bench.  I'm waiting on the door, electric and how I'm going to pay for it.

KIMG0336.JPG

KIMG0369.JPG

KIMG0404.JPG

KIMG0420.JPG

KIMG0454.JPG

KIMG0450.JPG

• Like 26

What did you do for the base preparation? Did you lay down any stone? What did you use for insulation under the slab?

On the 3rd picture, how wide are those panels, do they interlock together or how did you fasten them?

It’s looking good, be sure to install security or @MTO will be coming!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's a trenched footing around the perimeter with insulation.  The panels are glued everywhere with nails every six inches around evening.  The panels are 8 inches thick and go together like a Lego with 2x4s running upright.   That thing is solid, they put bracing up with it but I don't think it would have needed it.  I think they killed one first on just the bracing for the overhead door.

KIMG0418.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t worry about how to pay for! It just happens naturally, and you’ll be thinking to yourself the first cold windy, winter day, why didn’t I do this 15 years ago! 

You’ll enjoy it! It looks very nice, congratulations!!!!!

• Like 1

If you guys like pics I have more of what's going on there yet.

KIMG0362.JPG

KIMG0368.JPG

KIMG0340.JPG

KIMG0379.JPG

KIMG0337.JPG

• Like 6

Are you cooling it somehow? Asking for a fellow forum member ;)

Awesome shop, glad you got it ordered in time

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bitty said:

Are you cooling it somehow? Asking for a fellow forum member ;)

Awesome shop, glad you got it ordered in time

I've got a couple quotes on cooling it.  From what I've been told it takes nothing to heat or cool it.  I didn't put insulation under the concrete as the engineer that I asked about the concrete and my loads said it wouldn't work.  He suggested a heat reflective product under the concrete.  It looked like a thick bubble wrap with tinfoil on it.  I think it works cause we all got sun burnt working over it laying the in floor heat tubes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Very nice.  Almost twice as big as I want to go. 

I have never seen panels like that before.  Besides R value what are the pros/cons vs traditional pole buildings?

Poke buildings aren't near as tight as this EPS building.  I'm not even sure bugs can come through the wall as it's glued all the way around.  Rafters are every 4 ft.  This is the first one my contractor built and he's impressed by it.  I guess they're making houses with this style.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

Poke buildings aren't near as tight as this EPS building.  I'm not even sure bugs can come through the wall as it's glued all the way around.  Rafters are every 4 ft.  This is the first one my contractor built and he's impressed by it.  I guess they're making houses with this style.

Was this a “kit” building?

Very nice. Same size as mine. Would love to see interior pictures when done. Mine is sprayfoamed and very tight as well and the biggest problem I have is humidity in the summer. I run a 14,000 btu A/C unit and it helps but still need something better. 

1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

I've got a couple quotes on cooling it.  From what I've been told it takes nothing to heat or cool it.  I didn't put insulation under the concrete as the engineer that I asked about the concrete and my loads said it wouldn't work.  He suggested a heat reflective product under the concrete.  It looked like a thick bubble wrap with tinfoil on it.  I think it works cause we all got sun burnt working over it laying the in floor heat tubes.

Cooling it should be easy, if it’s that tight! I have a mini split in our 60x96x18, and I can get it down to 65* if I want, and our building is bat insulation in the walls.

39 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Was this a “kit” building?

It's whatever you design and it shows up on 3 semi trailers.  It comes with a set of plans and everything is numbered.  The attic is blown in insulation with plastic sheet and perferated steel for noise.  The holy steel was a little more but I don't get any echo so far.  Grinding and flopping those I beams around it's quite in there already.

KIMG0398.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

What did you do for the base preparation? Did you lay down any stone? What did you use for insulation under the slab?

On the 3rd picture, how wide are those panels, do they interlock together or how did you fasten them?

It’s looking good, be sure to install security or @MTO will be coming!

I packed the ground with a sheep's foot and ran the loaded scraper around on it.  Everyone was complaining about how hard the ground was packed.  My plumber showed up with a spade to dig in under my footings to bring water in and my contractor laughed at him and said what are you going to do with that.  He said I've dug all the water in for years with this.  Contractor said good luck, after a about 6-7 tries with the spade he left and got his mini hoe.  When you have your own dirt work equipment I didn't want cracked cement from lack of compaction.

I'm not worried about an invasion from MTO as he doesn't b venture that far from home.  Probably because his wife wouldn't let him back in the house.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

Thats what i used under mine, bubble wrap stuff. Came in rolls 5 or 6 foot wide, rolled down easy. I did use 2 inch styrofoam 2 feet in around the perimeter as well as inside and outside the footer vertically and my concrete wall below floor level as well. 

Very nice, looks great

Officially gave my wife the biggest rock I'll ever give her today.  I forgot to have dad weigh it when he picked it up with the side dump but it's all I wanted with the excavator.

11313.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2