Which tractor to buy

I know this is a red tractor site but I was wondering I have about 8000 dollars and I wondered what is the cheapest easiest diesel tractor around 85-130 horse factory tractor to pull with on weekends and not rough on the bank account of any brand. I can redo whatever needs done and cosmetics but I just wondered what’s a good all around reliable tractor that’s easy to work on and easy on the bank to pull 

If I thought I could have fun, for $16k, I might do it. But after two weekends of getting annihilated by all of the other guys “just out for fun” with $$$$$ machines,  I’m pretty sure I’d stop going. With 8k in mind, maybe save the money, and have a good time watching.  -Unless pulling is different in other areas. 
 I’ve raced snowmobiles for 25 years, but Covid, and record snow for trail riding at home this past winter, seen me staying home and riding more, opposed to getting truck/trailer/machines dirty and traveling every weekend.   I saved more than a few bucks. And wasn’t stressed out.

• Thanks 1

I think if you want to be middle of the pack in performance you need to be pulling something like a M to keep the budget in that area . It all costs money. I just got 25 gallons of fuel and it was $252 ... with the tax 

What weight classes do you want to run in? Gas or diesel? Locally I've seen guys do really well with olivers and molines. I pulled an oliver 88 in its stock form and was able to be competitive. If I was looking to get back into it that's what I would look for, either a 77 or an 88. Those tractors are pretty easy to loose weight also. Stay away from John Deere two cylinders, they are heavy tractors and you really can't take much off to make them lighter.

10 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I just had the feeling he was talking 466 style 

You're probably right but with today's tractor prices $8000 won't get you much of a 1066 or have anything left to do much to it.

In my neck of the woods, a 30 pack goes for about $22 bucks. That equals out to just over 363 30 packs. Which, all in all equals out to a lot more fun than $8000 spent on aggravating pulling and all the breakdowns and pitfalls that go with it. Plus you can always go to the pulling contest and whilst laughing at everyone else get aggravated at breaking down and throwing more coin after more coin whilst pulling their puds. 

Now I'm waiting for some creative screwball to name their pulling sled the "PUD" as in pulling their pud. I'll give it about 6 months before it catches on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well all I know is pulling better be fun.Just like the dirt track stock car racers,the" money"in it is what you spend not what you get out of it.If it is your relaxation,hobby,family fun time that makes it worth it and by all rights do it. I  been to one tractor pull in my life at PA Farm Show in 1976. I live and have multiple friends that pull at a local tract 5 miles away and never been to it.Too each his own but I have zero desire to see any tractor heading down that track and certainly do not want to climb on one when I spend all day on the farm on one.

It boggles my mind how many people have so much free time that they're all over sites like this spraining their fingers to type out wet blanket replies to anyone who doesn't think exactly like them, as fast as they can.

Different strokes, man.

@TheIntimidator1066
 Sorry I don't know an answer to your question, because I don't know much about bigger, or diesel tractors. Trust me, I'd give you an answer to your ACTUAL question if I was at all qualified.

Is that their one of those middle of the road M’s that bitty was talking about? Because I’m pretty sure eight grand won’t buy those tires and wheels.  
Thank goodness for voice texting, or my fingers would be sore from texting all day while trying to drive tractor with the other hand. 
A tractor that last came off the dyno showing nearly double the horse power that it started life with.  Now with bigger turbo. And built pump. For field use. A hopped up M would probably beat me at the track.

1 minute ago, stronger800 said:

That black hot rod right there is outside of the perimeters as he had originally asked for machines originating at 80-130hp or so. Shoot that rules out bitty’s M too.   

I have never had a M that strong.

If I tried to get a 80-130 hp tractor in that price range around here it would probably have to be towed down the track ....

I paid $8500 for this a couple years back.  Haven’t done much to it.  Put a grille in it.  Added dual hubs, tool box, rebuilt seat.  It gets down the track a few times a year.  It will run with the other stock tractors.  Best thing about a 66 series is there is a lot of potential.243F4621-7B8A-4B8E-8D0E-C81262B0E551.thumb.jpeg.52e97861644aaaeddff64669b6035d80.jpeg

• Like 4

Sell it for anywhere near close to that today?  I don’t have a trailer big enough, but I’ll get one.  Here’s our 1466 that I believe dad gave $4500 for, a while back. 
I think I need it though, so, it’s not for sale. Nobody would want it with that rattle trap cab anyway F306ABDE-21F9-4C44-B742-52604DA9EDF7.thumb.jpeg.9cd5f12b435270116c885beba9be59a3.jpeg

• Haha 1

In all honesty, if you are looking at a tractor for 8k that can be fairly competitive, you should be looking for something like a 666/686 (lower on h.p. than your wants, but has the potential to get there) an 806/856, a 970/1070 case, they can be good pullers, and already have a good injection pump for pulling that needs little effort and mods to be full fuel. Case tractors around me are a dime a dozen, but their down fall seems to be the power shift in them. Also seems like the Perkins powered Oliver's can hang pretty well, but stay away from anything with the v-8. Costly to maintain and fix. A 1066 that is totally clapped out will be around your price range too. In all honesty, a stock tractor is not going to hang with the top few tractors unless you know for a fact, without a doubt, that they are telling you the truth that theirs is stock. There is a fella that runs a very nice stock 970 here that he bought for cheap. He put a narrow front on it and pulls it in 9k pound non turbo farm stock and usually is always in the front. He has pulled that thing for years and has it figured out to the T on what the tractor is going to do on about every track situation. That, is going to get your further than most money will. You must have experience. I started out with a diesel 560 and I wasn't totally getting walked all over, but surly was not in first by any means. Then, one day, I had everything just right and squeaked out a second place finish and out pulled another 560 by 10 feet. It can be done with stock machines if you really figure your weight and gears out right. Mostly you need to pay attention, ask questions, and DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!! Those who give up, never come back... I've seen lots of younger kids who pull once or twice, don't get anywhere and just stop. You of course need to put a like horsepower tractor in a competitive class, but you can also do fairly well with a stock machine too. Like others have said, 8k doesn't get your very far if you are truly looking to win every pull. Even then, there is someone who has more into theirs than you. Best I can say is, find the highest HP or displacement for their weight, and play with your hitch height, length, and weight placement, then, go have fun. Keep notes, scour the web for tips, tire sizes, and what's a good pulling tire, what is working for other people. Listen in to conversation and don't be afraid to ask questions... 

Tractor pulling seems to be dominated by IH and JD these days, I enjoyed it more when it was a little more colorful. Unless it is in collectable condition, an Allis 210, 220 or even a D21 should be had in your $$$ range and can be made to run, AND be something different.