An old OLD……. Monkey wrench?

IHhogfarmer

On 7/23/2021 at 10:15 PM, KY2674 said:

My Dad once asked an employee to go to the hardware store and get a metric adjustable wrench.  He made the trip, some funny looks at the store. 

Like the apprentice sent to parts store for a "long weight", to return with the message that they only had short ones.

Un-woking education which the current generation have totally missed out on

On 7/23/2021 at 9:50 AM, just Dave said:

Dad said he thought Model T s came with one of these smaller similar wrenches. This one is cracked  it's work is done.

wrench Ford.jpg

There may be something to it. In my circles that type of wrench has always been referred to as a Ford wrench.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, New Englander said:

There may be something to it. In my circles that type of wrench has always been referred to as a Ford wrench.

There are a lot of that exact wrench out there, with the Ford script on them. I assume from the age and common-ness of them, that they were sold with model T's or Model A's. I have one. There are also several out there, likely made in the same foundry, that don't say Ford. Ford wrenches are quite common, but I don't think I've ever seen a complete set in the flesh, so I've picked up some here and there. Maybe someday I'll get close to a set complete enough to frame and display.

I just opened this up again, kw could you post some pics of your ford tools? I've got two spanners somewhere that I'll find and post, if I remember correctly they have T script on them.

16 minutes ago, KWRB said:

There are a lot of that exact wrench out there, with the Ford script on them. I assume from the age and common-ness of them, that they were sold with model T's or Model A's. I have one. There are also several out there, likely made in the same foundry, that don't say Ford. Ford wrenches are quite common, but I don't think I've ever seen a complete set in the flesh, so I've picked up some here and there. Maybe someday I'll get close to a set complete enough to frame and display.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

I just opened this up again, kw could you post some pics of your ford tools? I've got two spanners somewhere that I'll find and post, if I remember correctly they have T script on them.

Here the ones I could find quickly. There might be one or two more, but it's cold out there.

KIMG2467.JPG

KIMG2468.JPG

KIMG2469.JPG

KIMG2470.JPG

KIMG2471.JPG

KIMG2472.JPG

KIMG2473.JPG

13 hours ago, KWRB said:

A neat fact, if you didn't know, is that that style of wrench is intended to have the head (top end, opposite side of the jaws) used for striking, like a hammer.

Are you trying to imply that there are wrenches that are NOT intended for use as a hammer???

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, KWRB said:

Here the ones I could find quickly. There might be one or two more, but it's cold out there.

KIMG2467.JPG

KIMG2468.JPG

KIMG2469.JPG

KIMG2470.JPG

KIMG2471.JPG

KIMG2472.JPG

KIMG2473.JPG

Good pics, it is cold, I'm putting new HWH in so I'll get my two from the back.

After hard studying I think mine is a Coes Wrench Co. Mine measures 12 inches long. Here are a couple examples supporting my claim, it appears a lot of the patents for these brand wrenches are between the late 1850’s and 1890’s. I’m betting mine is post Civil War.

71D21291-595C-4E42-8F78-6F8E1F8D2E59.thumb.jpeg.64661c8bb42bb402079ac079e2cc7996.jpeg

D8EF195A-AD9C-4D6B-B3C3-94C44C3DE4F2.jpeg.43e39fac7ead01eff5b60ed86dc0a58a.jpeg

Before and after for mine

2B24FC89-1FAC-43FA-BAC6-7CC4FC783823.thumb.jpeg.20a5cfe8dbb1721869475b2e4cc012f5.jpeg

Notice mine has a rivet where the wooden handle is like the internet pics but mine does not have a lower collar down by the all thread bolt where the internet pics have one. So I would assume it got broke off. If all that makes any sense. 

3 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Good pics, it is cold, I'm putting new HWH in so I'll get my two from the back.

HWH is in but to bloody cold to look past the three places I thought they might, tomorrow tomorrow I'll check it tomorrow.

Thought you guys might like to see an old IHC “monkey wrench”. Like most things IH built early on, each piece has their logo cast or stamped into the individual pieces. 0D7A9D82-98DC-45A7-AFA9-77F0E1E0904A.thumb.jpeg.ca76f40b50999756ae614d052964b5c0.jpegA4E0B59F-8FF7-40FF-959D-D6F4271F05D1.thumb.jpeg.dae084b2daa344403e5a78b10ebb2a3e.jpegNotice that the head has indeed been used as a hammer. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, New Englander said:

All our locomotives had one of these in the cabs used to adjust brake rigging if needed.

I've seen wrenches of the type around but they're usually quite abused. It seems that many equipment manufacturers included them in the tool kit. Unlike IHC I suspect many bought them and stamped their names on them rather than tie up resources making them:

Deere Monkey wrench.jpg

Did these transform into the modern pipe wrench?

I remember growing up the old mans tool box had a wrench like these, he also had something we’ve posted about before, corking tools and corking hammers for pounding oakum into wooden barge and boat hulls.