Next thing you know it's missing it's top

bitty

We are missing a few gears in the 12 speed PS transmission in the 9170 . Was a sudden development, there one minute, weak the next. We had our pressures checked out and it needs to be rebuilt. I am swapping out with a remanufactured one from Big Tractor Parts for time reasons. Really close to lifting the transmission out . I would love to do a decent paint job on it while it's easier to reach. All I have to do is lift the hood off to paint it and it couldn't be any easier to get it done

IMG_20210722_113239071.jpg

IMG_20210722_111514385.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Wow bitty makes me tired just looking at the work you have todo to get it going.

X2

• Like 2

Wow bitty makes me tired just looking at the work you have todo to get it going.

But but as you know it ain’t near as bad as a pre 60 series JD.  Pretty much have to duck from all the parts flying over your head if you have to overhaul.  

• Like 1

Can always just paint the hard to reach spots while you have to cab off. Did that to a 1066 I swapped engines out on for a reman. Painted the inside frame rails, front bolster stuff and the rear plate. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

But but as you know it ain’t near as bad as a pre 60 series JD.  Pretty much have to duck from all the parts flying over your head if you have to overhaul.  

Engine rebuilds in those are pretty bad. Transmission rebuilds are probably as easy as anything. There isn’t much in the way for that. I put a two speed in an 8650 before this spring and all you had to do is steer it all the way to the right and it came right out in the hinge. One engine overhaul though, makes up for all of that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Engine rebuilds in those are pretty bad. Transmission rebuilds are probably as easy as anything. There isn’t much in the way for that. I put a two speed in an 8650 before this spring and all you had to do is steer it all the way to the right and it came right out in the hinge. One engine overhaul though, makes up for all of that. 

Yes did that many times. Swing it to the right after you loosened a couple bolts on right and pull planetary out or other stuff.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Yes nothing like working with the tractor on jacks and engine just sticking in mid air.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I figure they are easy to work on but that doesn’t make up for their complicated nature. We had the transmission overhauled in our 8850 and the dealer worked on it in their “big” shop outside of town.  I remember poking my head in the shop and from all the parts scattered all over it looked like someone lit a stick of dynamite and dropped it in the transmission case.  The 12 speeds in the Steigers and Versatiles took up much less room.

• Like 1

Just now, Big Bud guy said:

I figure they are easy to work on but that doesn’t make up for their complicated nature. We had the transmission overhauled in our 8850 and the dealer worked on it in their “big” shop outside of town.  I remember poking my head in the shop and from all the parts scattered all over it looked like someone lit a stick of dynamite and dropped it in the transmission case.  The 12 speeds in the Steigers and Versatiles took up much less room.

Those transmissions weren’t bad once you got the rear wheels and drives off.  They require a bit of patience pulling bottom gears out but it is doable.

• Like 1

This looks good compared to pulling out the transmission from the JD 8960 we had. That was packed in much tighter than this is for access to components

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

You should run it O/S

When the fan didn't work that would have been nice

57 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I never was around an 8850. Did you have good luck with yours? 

55 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I never was around an 8850. Did you have good luck with yours? 

No.  It was the mostly costly tractor we over owned.  It ended up getting overhauled front to back.  Plus I thought it was kind of weak on the horsepower.  However, I don't entirely blame the tractor.  You see we bought it out of AZ with unknown hours as it turned out.  We think it was on the 2nd go around on the tach because instead of around 1,000 hours it showed we think it had 11,000 hrs.  The drawbar and other areas of the tractor showed way more wear then it should at those hours and coming from AZ were they could farm year around we think the hours were wrong.  Because of that I would never own a 8850 new or used again even with a Kinze.  But I don't think they were horrible tractors either.  Less then a mile from me sits two to of them owned by my cousins and together they have 16,000 hrs and neither one has ever been opened up.  There are a few more in the area that still run but don't get used much anymore.  The 8850 goes down as the most costly tractor we ever owned but the Versatile 976 was the worst tractor we ever owned and that's because the expectations were higher on the 976 plus it was brand new.   

• Like 1

Those transmissions weren’t bad once you got the rear wheels and drives off.  

That right there to almost sounds like more work then what bitty had/has to do to swap out his transmission.  Don't matter anyway because Big Bud has everyone beat on accessibility and ease of work.  

9 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

That right there to almost sounds like more work then what bitty had/has to do to swap out his transmission.  Don't matter anyway because Big Bud has everyone beat on accessibility and ease of work.  

I always thought Big Bud was interesting, but I’ve never seen one in my life. Up until relatively recently the only four wheel drives around here were just some old junkers. Now they are everywhere. Some guys had some new 4wd’s back in the seventies and eighties, no till came in and they all disappeared. The local BTO bought a new Deere in 2002 and it wasn’t long after that they were all over the place. It wasn’t long ago everyone here had six row planters and with no till you just didn’t need a lot of power, now 24 row is the norm with the way these new planter bars can flex. 

33 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I always thought Big Bud was interesting, but I’ve never seen one in my life. Up until relatively recently the only four wheel drives around here were just some old junkers. Now they are everywhere. Some guys had some new 4wd’s back in the seventies and eighties, no till came in and they all disappeared. The local BTO bought a new Deere in 2002 and it wasn’t long after that they were all over the place. It wasn’t long ago everyone here had six row planters and with no till you just didn’t need a lot of power, now 24 row is the norm with the way these new planter bars can flex. 

Montana was ground zero for 4x4 tractors.  Wagner put the first modern articulated 4x4 tractor on the market in the mid 50s and some of the very first ones were sold right in my backyard.  

The 9000 series CIH Steigers are actually really easy to pull a transmission out of, IF you have the equipment to do it. The cab has threaded holes in the top, lifting it off is easy. The tranny comes straight up out that hole. Although the smaller frame tractors are a lot tighter, the design is the same, not a bad job at all.