Blasted Badgers

I HATE BADGERS.

Disease riden critters, they carry Bovine TB.

They are  the hedgehog's only natural predator.

They also eat gound nesting birds.

Both of which farmers are blamed for causing the decline in numbers of.

The badger meanwhilenis protected by law and raised to the level of a demi god by the people who are into bunny hugging. Some people even feed droves of the disease ridden critters in their gardens.

I got got chased by one once walking home from the pub in an inebriated state. I shouted and yelled at him like i was herding a bunch of cows and he ran off.

When I was a kid badger numbers where quite low and by 2003 when I stopped farming there was 23 badger sets on a 400 acre farm. At that time we didn't have TB on our farm. But if we had I wonder if badgers would have had accidents ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Did I say

I HATE BADGERS

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pid 1831 said:

got got chased by one once

LOL, when I was much younger and not near as wise. I come across a badger on a correction line.

He made it under the fence so I took off after him with the only weapon I could find find which was a shovel.

Running across the pasture with me in hot pursuit whacking him on the back as best as I could. 

After about a hundred yards, he tired of the game, turned the tables and chased me back to the pickup swinging the shovel back at him without hitting him once?

I am sure that somewhere in Wheeler Co, there is a family of badgers that still tell that story and laugh whenever they get together for the holidays ?

• Haha 5

In Indiana they are protected. Caught one once years ago in a body trap. Thought it was a ground hog till I saw claws and teeth. Mean looking customer. No too many around here anymore. 

Now ground hogs are another story. Usually get 8-10 with lead poisoning. When I was younger and had more time if I didn’t get 40-50 in a year I was not trying 

7 minutes ago, smfarms said:

Now ground hogs are another story. Usually get 8-10 with lead poisoning. When I was younger and had more time if I didn’t get 40-50 in a year I was not trying 

We haven’t seen nearly that many around but numbers do seem really high this year. I ran up on one in the open early one evening on my way home from work. He got an axe handle because that is what was handy at the time. 

We’ve got them around here too. My landlord shot this one and put it in the grainery where I keep pellets for the cows, scared the crap out of me when I opened the door that morning! I shoot them every chance I get which isn’t real often. 

61ECA9E3-4B0C-4DE9-BA3F-90E1B6ECE2D3.jpeg

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Little Red said:

We’ve got them around here too. My landlord shot this one and put it in the grainery where I keep pellets for the cows, scared the crap out of me when I opened the door that morning! I shoot them every chance I get which isn’t real often. 

61ECA9E3-4B0C-4DE9-BA3F-90E1B6ECE2D3.jpeg

Your badgers are different  to our European badgers.

I had a sneaking feeling they were different

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wildlifeonline.me.uk%2Fassets%2Fugc%2Fgallery%2Feuropean_badger_08.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wildlifeonline.me.uk%2Fanimals%2Fspecies%2Feuropean-badger&docid=-rPfDk1F7-GGGM&tbnid=YkICz1mUCUoxUM&vet=1&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Carlon or heavy wall pvc pipe works well. Glue caps on, drill hole same size as slow burning fuse.

You want to be careful here, PVC

pipe can build a static electric charge and spark just the same, the pouring of loose material into it can cause this where PVC is used to handle sawdust at the mill we bond metallic parts on either side to dissipate static buildup, otherwise just like flour dust the whole thing could go poof. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Does she have big, aaah, fish, too? ?

No, but actually there was 3 sisters by that name, used to be a point that all three worked at a local breakfast joint called “the station” only one was that tall, one was a ginger and the other had dark hair. Used to be you couldn’t get a table hardly.. after eventually all 3 left the place closed down shortly thereafter. I  sure it was coincidence but it seemed pretty funny timing at the time. 

My grandfather also had a story about badgers, I think distant relatives of the same family. Was accused of stealing a shovel he argued that no it was his, it was pointed out that the shovel had the initials “A.R.” On it , he indignantly replied “yes! ‘A.R.’ -Joe Badger”… guess he wasn't real literate. 

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have experience with a Badger… 5’ 10” blonde, legs go all the way to the top.. just sayin.. 

Sounds like a honey badger....

?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Sounds like a honey badger....

?

She sure was… unfortunately all turned out to be quite fertile i believe.. I've lost touch over the years. 

If out in the open, and not under or near buildings, put about 6' of open hose on your propane tank.

Put the hose down the hole, open the valve and turn it upside down.

Liquid propane comes out and settles at the bottom.

It don't take but a couple seconds to get enough to do the job.

Propane is heavier than air and suffocates whatever is down there.

No more problem and no mess.

I have shot a few Badgers and they have an attitude far worse than any woman.

• Haha 2

I’ve heard one old guy would be out fixing fence and see a badger and chase it down with just fencing pliers and whack it it the head, how the guy made it to 80+ years old I don’t know, everybody in the neighborhood has a story about Clifford. 

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Is that without a regulator on the tank? Where do you find a hose with the proper thread?

You can buy hoses for LP tanks, leave the fittings right on. Or steal it off the gas grill for an afternoon 

13 hours ago, Wes806 said:

Would like to see some pics of leg-hold setup. Wouldn't mind trying that on some holes here.

It's just a plain old leg hold with a long chain on it as they'll take it deep in their hole. No bait, just sitting in the hole where they have to walk over it.

I'm on the road so searched for a pic and found one, made in China! Who would have guessed it.

It's the only place I'll use such a trap as I don't want to catch someone's pet. Any place else for any other animal it's a live trap. I had a squirrel in the barn that was building a nest by stealing paper towel off a roll. I took the roll down and baited the trap with, yep, paper towel! Give them what they want?

leg_hold_trap.jpg

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

You can buy tannerite at a lot of farm supply stores. Or maybe put in a call to @IHRunner and tell him you have some target practice for him, he like things that go Boom!

I mean...inffin he doesn't mind even more holes in his field...lol

I've gotten 9 groundhogs so far this year at our other place with the live trap, no bait. I just put it at the entrance to the hole and pile wood, branches, whatever, to make a lane to the trap. The Coyotes and Collies keep any from taking residence around the home place.

3 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

If out in the open, and not under or near buildings, put about 6' of open hose on your propane tank.

Put the hose down the hole, open the valve and turn it upside down.

Liquid propane comes out and settles at the bottom.

It don't take but a couple seconds to get enough to do the job.

Propane is heavier than air and suffocates whatever is down there.

No more problem and no mess.

I have shot a few Badgers and they have an attitude far worse than any woman.

Can you get liquid out of the tanks with the overfill protection?

I tried to rope a badger one day. I was riding a horse that wasn’t overly intelligent and neither was the rider. 
For the record they are hard to rope!!

• Haha 6

19 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Something digging in my small hay field as well. Not sure what is is. Have blamed groundhogs and cyotes/ foxes. Last time I mowed it by time I baled there were several more holes started but really didn't go that deep or anywhere.?‍♂️

around here if you have coyotes you don't have wood chucks ( ground hogs) or any other small critters

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I tried to rope a badger one day. I was riding a horse that wasn’t overly intelligent and neither was the rider. 

Midwest version of crocodile hunter ?

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

What were you going to do if you caught it? Sounds like a new rodeo event.  That’s one critter I wouldn’t want on the end of a rope!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

Midwest version of crocodile hunter ?

If I would have succeeded, I would have been like Troy. CHOOT HIM. LISA CHOOT HIM! 

• Haha 2