Jump to content

Blasted Badgers


Recommended Posts

A few years back I eliminated one badger that had built homes in a hayfield. We have filled in all his holes , last year his big den had settled down and required more dirt. This morning while raking hay I hit one that swallowed an 11 x 16 front. Threw me up and out of the seat with a hard landing and sheared a steering arm key. Not a big problem to fix but now I am glad the usual raking tractor had a hiccup yesterday and got swapped out. If the little tractor would have been on there it would have probably been worse than Hobbyfarms front tube.

If I only had some dynamite I would make sure there wasn't a badger living in there then fix the hole ?

BTW that badger was the only one I have ever seen in my 60 years in this part of the world.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They can dig a hole!!!!

Around here it's whistle pigs (ground hogs) Didn't see any for a few years but they have become "prolific" once again...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something digging in my small hay field as well. Not sure what is is. Have blamed groundhogs and cyotes/ foxes. Last time I mowed it by time I baled there were several more holes started but really didn't go that deep or anywhere.?‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I have zero sympathy for you:)  Were I farm badgers are part of the wildlife scene and as common as the deer and other animals.  I used to shoot them whenever I could but anymore I’ve kinda taken a holistic approach towards them.
 

 You see we have gophers or Richardson ground squirrels.  They feast on crops and will cause economic loss if they get out of control.  We used to control them really good with strychnine but the poison made today is so diluted you either have to dump a pound on each hole or use bait stations so they can feed like cattle on a feeder.  Neither is acceptable solution.  Because of that I’ve concluded it’s easier let badgers go through a field and clean out all the gophers and the go in with a plow and level the holes.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 101Pathfinder said:

ground hogs

I hate them! I put a leg-hold in the hole, chained off. It usually takes a tractor to pull them out with someone standing by with a .22.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Feral hogs like to root up hay fields around here. They appear to like Johnson Grass traveling roots.  Someone flying through a field at 8 MPH or higher are in for some serious issues. I bush-hog at about 3 mph, so just a wake-up event when hitting a hole. When paying attention, I easily steer  around a hole. I found a large wash-out in the edge of a corn field once that could have swallowed  up the whole tractor. I am never on my own property so I expect and assume the worst. Have not been disappointed so far!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

A few years back I eliminated one badger that had built homes in a hayfield. We have filled in all his holes , last year his big den had settled down and required more dirt. This morning while raking hay I hit one that swallowed an 11 x 16 front. Threw me up and out of the seat with a hard landing and sheared a steering arm key. Not a big problem to fix but now I am glad the usual raking tractor had a hiccup yesterday and got swapped out. If the little tractor would have been on there it would have probably been worse than Hobbyfarms front tube.

If I only had some dynamite I would make sure there wasn't a badger living in there then fix the hole ?

BTW that badger was the only one I have ever seen in my 60 years in this part of the world.

never seen one in my life in MO, nor has my family, ive done a considerable amount of trapping and havent seen one at the fur dealers i used to use. I have caught a few ground hogs but not a true badger or wolverine - i catch the ground hogs in live traps with fruit for bait, had a hole under my barn again this year, bored under concrete - got two so far ? the mr and the mrs not sure if they had any kids or cousins yet

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

 

If I only had some dynamite I would make sure there wasn't a badger living in there then fix the hole ?

 

You can buy tannerite at a lot of farm supply stores. Or maybe put in a call to @IHRunner and tell him you have some target practice for him, he like things that go Boom!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The groundhogs here have gotten worked over hard by the coyotes.  Can't even find one to shoot.  Of course the coyotes have been hard on everything!  I have one around my house that I am going to start hunting this weekend.  We have two little dogs that can get out and go exploring.  I don't want to lose them!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been shooting ground hogs since I was about 14. That is when my Father, (not a hunter) let me get a centerfire rifle. He paid me a bounty for a couple years for every one I bagged. This year I’ve seen more than ever.  Coyotes are thinned out some due to bobcat number rising I believe so there are more ground hogs around. I’m up to 12 this year so far.  Never seen a badger or wolverine around though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

I hate them! I put a leg-hold in the hole, chained off. It usually takes a tractor to pull them out with someone standing by with a .22.

Would like to see some pics of leg-hold setup. Wouldn't mind trying that on some holes here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have always been told that a ground hog will pull a normal trap stake but I’m a very novice trapper. I’d think a body trap would work better maybe?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

You must not have had any suitcase weights on or you’d be asking us how to repair all that damage. 

Nope no weights on that one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’ve been shooting ground hogs since I was about 14. That is when my Father, (not a hunter) let me get a centerfire rifle. He paid me a bounty for a couple years for every one I bagged. This year I’ve seen more than ever.  Coyotes are thinned out some due to bobcat number rising I believe so there are more ground hogs around. I’m up to 12 this year so far.  Never seen a badger or wolverine around though. 

I know we have a couple of groundhogs close by but they have never moved the den. Coyotes by the load and bobcats are started getting a population the last few years.

Badger, only the one unless this turns out to be redug they are proof grizzlies mated with racoons

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

You can buy tannerite at a lot of farm supply stores. Or maybe put in a call to @IHRunner and tell him you have some target practice for him, he like things that go Boom!

Tannerite in the basement but unless I am wrong it takes a high velocity round to set it off. That would hard down in a hole or at least unsafe.

So can it be detonated some other way ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of badgers around here but none on the hay meadows. It's all sub-irrigated and too wet for badgers, gophers, ground squirrels, etc. Did have some otters decades ago that built slides down the bank to the lake. When those dried up they turned into tractor wrecking monsters. Grandpa lost the front end out of an H on one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

Tannerite in the basement but unless I am wrong it takes a high velocity round to set it off. That would hard down in a hole or at least unsafe.

So can it be detonated some other way ?

Tape off the end of a paper towel roll and fill with FFF black powder (it will hold almost a pound), insert a long piece of cannon fuse (both bought at local Cabela's or other outdoor store), place it in the hole, light the fuse and get away. Note: it's best to test the speed of your fuse without the powder so you can calculate how much you need based upon your personal ground speed!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have experience with a Badger… 5’ 10” blonde, legs go all the way to the top.. just sayin.. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have experience with a Badger… 5’ 10” blonde, legs go all the way to the top.. just sayin.. 

Badger not beaver ?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

Badger not beaver ?

Nope, name was badger 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have experience with a Badger… 5’ 10” blonde, legs go all the way to the top.. just sayin.. 

Does she have big, aaah, fish, too? ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, messer9696 said:

Tape off the end of a paper towel roll and fill with FFF black powder (it will hold almost a pound), insert a long piece of cannon fuse (both bought at local Cabela's or other outdoor store), place it in the hole, light the fuse and get away. Note: it's best to test the speed of your fuse without the powder so you can calculate how much you need based upon your personal ground speed!

Carlon or heavy wall pvc pipe works well. Glue caps on, drill hole same size as slow burning fuse.

Pipe bomb without the danger of sparking and setting off when screwing cap on. DO NOT USE METAL PIPE. Cannot stress that enough.

Smokeless powder works well too but in today's situation can be a bit pricey and not as fun as grabbing a friend with a couple rifles topped with thermal's.

Not that I would know, just guessing ???

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...