Another large, local Sheep and Beef Station visit.......

mike newman

...few weeks gone, the Shepherd from the Rainbow Station, where I ''part time " , took me down to the Kekerangu  Station.....A  very big family outfit running 10,000 stock units. Its a huge , hilly property, running from the coast  to   rising up to several thousand  feet  at its highest point.....  Its very broken country...with miles of "farm tracks' winding  up some very steep faces ...  There is one only elderly  Green wheel tractor , but with a very expensive post driver mounted to the tractor's back.....Contractors  put in winter feed crops etc on the "cultivatible "  land..nearer the sea....although the land finishes in a 'terrace'   sort of, well above the high tide mark...

The property has a musterer/hunting   hut way back in the hills......typical   NZ back country hut, with a big home made  stove/   fire and some very agricultural   plumbing, which    provides   water for the sink.....and the two external  'bath'  tubs...which require a fire lit underneath to provide  the necessary warmth.....(No....the quaint   South Seas     habit of par-boiling   the luckless  ''men of the cloth''  ceased many years gone.....)

Like all these 'disjointed ' high country farms, the tracks take one right around the perifhery of the property.....took about six hours .....of course there plenty of gates to open !!!

Some fantastic views from the  high points...you can almost see South America    from up there....(no...not really...) The two main farm tractors   are upmarket track machines....

...The ancient fellow in the hi-vis, on the hut porch....is me........:o

Mike

1289938604_IMG_6905copy.thumb.jpg.6f1cd97e634669701a2ba35471944eec.jpg

IMG_6896 copy.jpg

IMG_6989 copy.jpg

IMG_6955 copy (1).jpg

IMG_6755 copy.jpg

IMG_6731 copy.jpg

IMG_6708 copy.jpg

IMG_6715 copy.jpg

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Gorgeous pics as usual Mike. Thanks for sharing and I, for one, never get tired of seeing them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ray54 said:

Thanks, keep them coming.

?Kind of like here but you seem green in every season, rather than a week or 2 like here.

...Yes, Ray....this is mid winter down under..so not as green as normal...As of your comment. "'kind of like here ""....we have our quota of fruits and nuts....also....:(

,,few more pics

Mike

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG

• Like 7

Great shots Mike you have a talent for it.  Does the river go hill to hill when the river is high. Do you have any Ause Crocks over in NZ. A friend of mine went down there a few years back to jump off bridges bungee style loved the land. Maybe I will see it some day.

Great vistas hopefully they don't cover them with windmills in the future.  

Looks to be some white stuff in some of the photos.

What is the max temp differential from shore line to max elevation on that property? 

7 hours ago, just Dave said:

Do you have any Ause Crocks over in NZ.

No Crocks, no snakes, no bears, no spiders that can kill ya... if you go bush the most dangerous thing is the weather followed by your stupid self

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JamesW said:

No Crocks, no snakes, no bears, no spiders that can kill ya... if you go bush the most dangerous thing is the weather followed by your stupid self

Dave...I was going to answer that question..in a very droll way...but James has beaten me to it....:)

...I was going to tell you that indeed we do have Aussie 'Crocks " over here quite a few in fact.....but we don't have Aussie  Croc's.....  (see above ...!!!!!)

....old folk, often  get called "Crock's" ...down under.....:mellow:

...and , yes, that river...(the   Clarence  River)   goes bank to bank.....in fact I am prese ntly  working on flood remedial work , following a major flood  in the river that runs through the Rainbow Station...I might post a picture or three, tomorrow evening.....

Mike

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mike newman said:

..and , yes, that river...(the   Clarence  River)   goes bank to bank.....in fact I am prese ntly  working on flood remedial work , following a major flood  in the river that runs through the Rainbow Station...I might post a picture or three, tomorrow evening.....

I just have a couple acres but all hill and rock. There are several weeping springs and one that pours. Several people discouraged me from building here but I wouldn't hear it.  I love to work with the water , there is no material more reliable than water. If you can read a level................ water and hills are my paradise.