Checked off another bucket list tractor

Probably not the best for steering traction, but I like the looks of that front end.

Congrats, very Nice!

I have a 706 gasser sitting in my "things to do when I get time" row.

It is a bareback though and I use a 3pt a lot so it isn't getting moved to the top of the list very fast.

Probably get running faster than the 656 hydro that is keeping it company?

6 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Probably not the best for steering traction, but I like the looks of that front end.

I would agree. Not sure yet if I’m gonna leave those on there or look for like an 11L15. 

2 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Congrats, very Nice!

I have a 706 gasser sitting in my "things to do when I get time" row.

It is a bareback though and I use a 3pt a lot so it isn't getting moved to the top of the list very fast.

Probably get running faster than the 656 hydro that is keeping it company?

Thank you! Lol hey we all have that row. Seems like we never get to it lol. Wow a bareback? Sounds like a rare one? Lol Depending on what’s going on with the 656 , the 706 will most likely be a cheaper fix lol

• Like 1

I do chain through a clevis on my 30 hp CUT because it is small and light enough that the clevis could lift the entire tractor if it needed to. On my bigger tractors with lots of weights and loaded tires, I like to change it through the bottom of the rims of the rear tires so that I can take most of the bounce out of it.  Not all rooms have enough space between the center and the rim to make this work though.  I've been told the proper way is four points for the equipment and one for each implement, including a loader.

22 hours ago, Cummings1486 said:

This week I was able to cross off another bucket list tractor that I’ve been wanting to buy. This is a 1965 706 gas. I realize it’s not a fancy model or a rare one But we had one years ago and I wanted to have one. It runs good and the TA is strong in it. It’s not perfect and it needs a few things done and added that are missing. I parted out a 706 earlier this year so a lot of those parts will be put on this one. Needs a good bath and a few things but it should shape up nicely. Eventually it’ll get a paint job but for now it’ll be used. 3 more to go on the list lol. 

FEB195A6-3C8E-40D0-A826-4E28051700B8.jpeg

20AAD5D8-3507-4289-96BE-EC12953937C7.jpeg

6B525625-5A1A-4165-B77D-3D0813BB879B.jpeg

ED538B9E-9E8C-4C4F-BF44-D1AE819BA095.jpeg

with that high s/n it might be a 291? 

8 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The changeover was in 1966. Serial number 37, 237, so this is a 1966 706 born with a 291 gas engine.

I used one of those A LOT for one farmer i worked for. Pulled a disc or vibrashank with it. Worked it hard - if you work it hard, make sure you let it cool down before shutting it off it will treat you well. 

49 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The changeover was in 1966. Serial number 37, 237, so this is a 1966 706 born with a 291 gas engine.

That’s correct. I mistyped it as a 65, thanks for the correction

40 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

I used one of those A LOT for one farmer i worked for. Pulled a disc or vibrashank with it. Worked it hard - if you work it hard, make sure you let it cool down before shutting it off it will treat you well. 

We ll definitely do that. Not planning on working it too hard, mostly light duty for it. But definitely a good idea for sure. 

We put a LOT of hours on those 2 706 tractors of ours.  The engines were never an issue, except that 1000-2000 hours was average for engine life. BUT, we worked them hard and pushed their limits. The one 706 was never unhitched from the grinder mixer between overhauls once!  Today, with larger diesels for the big jobs,  they last longer after an overhaul. 

On 7/21/2021 at 10:35 PM, Cummings1486 said:

I’m not married yet but If my future wife ever gives me grief I will definitely remind her of her spendy clothes or other things like that lol.

Let me know how that works out.................:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Let me know how that works out.................:rolleyes:

Lol oh I know it’ll go over like a fart in church but hey a guys gotta try!

• Haha 1