Jump to content

Farmall A?


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I bought a Farmall tractor a few months back and am wondering if it is an A? - I can't find the serial number under the seat.

20210721_220620.thumb.jpg.192005143adf3f90d49ea4e1d46e4947.jpg

How is the top of the magneto meant to be mounted?

20210720_171908.thumb.jpg.4bc0f436b50c2912375f9e8e11c1fcae.jpg
Thanks for your time!
Samuel (Joshua's brother)

zzzzzzzzzzz.thumb.jpg.f0453b81d3e8f624b3c7738517520562.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can find the engine serial number on the engine block. It will be stamped on the flat spot above the magneto in your second pic. It should be close if not the same as the tractor number assuming of course that the block is the original one for the tractor.

There should be a bolt and clamp on the top.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is a Farmall A. That magneto is not the correct one. You have J4 magneto that is used on a Cub. You should have a H4 magneto for an A. I believe the biggest difference in the 2 is spark advance. The j4 is 13 degrees and the h4 is 35 degrees. Also the j4 is shorter than a H4. It will probably run with your magneto but not very good.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure what that hood is from, but the hole for the muffler is on the wrong side and radiator neck is to tall but is does look like an  A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FarmallBob said:

That is a Farmall A. That magneto is not the correct one. You have J4 magneto that is used on a Cub. You should have a H4 magneto for an A. I believe the biggest difference in the 2 is spark advance. The j4 is 13 degrees and the h4 is 35 degrees. Also the j4 is shorter than a H4. It will probably run with your magneto but not very good.

Good catch. Something looked wrong to me but I could not see it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

You can find the engine serial number on the engine block. It will be stamped on the flat spot above the magneto in your second pic. It should be close if not the same as the tractor number assuming of course that the block is the original one for the tractor.

 

Thank you all for your help.

I have attached a pic of the number on the head.

20210722_090444.thumb.jpg.0839487d676ebc29907772f96dd8e0c6.jpg

Also another one of the mag.

20210721_220831.thumb.jpg.0d0cf92e0b5a5d24d025aa65d72df0e2.jpg

Thanks for your help.

- Samuel

20210722_090602.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, FarmallBob said:

It will probably run with your magneto but not very good.

The engine runs well on low to 3/4 revs but on full revs (especially when going up an incline in a higher gear) if cuts-out/bogs. Would the issue be the magneto then? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The hood is for a Farmall A which had a starting tank, i.e. a kerosene or distillate engine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, o121937 said:

The hood is for a Farmall A which had a starting tank, i.e. a kerosene or distillate engine

Thanks, did not know that. I have restored 14 A's and super As and have never seen one with that hole in the hood

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mrfred54 said:

Thanks, did not know that. I have restored 14 A's and super As and have never seen one with that hole in the hood

Here is a top view of the hood - Hoping to take the rest of the panel work (has been primed not painted yet) to a painter within the next week - May post some pictures of the end product later.

20210722_122646.thumb.jpg.420b73ccd2f702088ff2fde0b3565f20.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice 1944 Farmall A.  It will come up nice. 

As mentioned above your Farmall A has a Farmall Cub magneto (J4) and should have H4 magneto that most IH tractors of that era had. Just watch for the H4 magnetos for the diesel engines as the spin the wrong direction.

I notice that there is no heavy cast wheel center on the drivers side. It helps balance the weight of the offset engine. Early Farmall A (1939) did not have this heavy cast center and were more likely to roll over. 

I have this 1941 Farmall A ,that is a hand crank only ,kerosene equipped machine. This is how I bought it back in 2010.

561143757_InMossburn.thumb.JPG.227f2dafe9feeea3351b6698eeabe89c.JPG

H4 magneto before I rebuilt it. Shows how it should mount.

magneto.thumb.JPG.39e5e14a9577b59074464450848e99e0.JPG

Hope you don't mind I copied your photo. This is where the temperature sensor fits when a temperature gauge is fitted.

20210722_090602.jpg

Kerosene/ Distillate manifold.

1461732053_FarmallA20-11-11003.thumb.JPG.504e09549f67248e5c9d32f0c7001529.JPG

IMG_20160706_170549.thumb.jpg.38796fbd20f59360aab74c18946d0e61.jpg

This is what the other hole in the hood is for ,the starting gasoline tank. Temperature gauge is shown on the governor housing. The radiator also has shutters fitted. The bolts in your head between cylinder 1 and 2 would make me think that a starting fuel tank had been fitted too. 

IMG_1026.thumb.JPG.9c904f19d732e6f86d4b265e5646fcd4.JPG

The hood with the extra hole for the starting tank.

1912511817_NewBonnet.thumb.JPG.eba80dc5040bd127b2823c817d344740.JPG

Pre 1946 did not have the IH logo and the Deering name was dropped in 1949.

028_zps5mtfp2oo.thumb.jpg.c3cadf59c340ff0b69dd5022bdfa684b.jpg

812043917_FarmallA(2).thumb.JPG.13993e065bdb4c8f5eea0e33bda15ad0.JPG

101021460_Phonephotos372.thumb.jpg.e56cd2ff31ff872c4a5235b0a2bcd81e.jpg

Hope this is of some help . 

Marty,NZ

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your help Marty,

Good job - Your Farmall looks great!

Is the engine in my Farmall a kerosene one?

Where did you source your decals from?

Thanks,

Samuel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Valiant Farmer said:

Thanks for your help Marty,

Good job - Your Farmall looks great!

Is the engine in my Farmall a kerosene one?

Where did you source your decals from?

Thanks,

Samuel

Your Farmall A may have been a kerosene equipped tractor originally but will run on gasoline too. I run mine on gasoline but wanted it back to original specifications. The temperature gauge sender mounting ,extra hole in the hood are signs that it may have originally had the kerosene attachments. Unless you have the kerosene manifold, the small fuel tank ,radiator shutters , the carburetor with an adjustable main jet , I would fill the extra hole in the hood , tidy up the hole for the exhaust pipe and restore it as a gasoline version. A temperature gauge was optional on a gasoline engine so you could still fit one if you wanted to. Precision tractor parts make the original style gauges. Depends on how far you want to go.

My decals came from guy that was selling of some of his spare parts and had the radiator shutter linkage I needed. Places like your CaseIH dealer, devons tractor parts steinertractorparts.com or maple hunter decals should be able to supply. Just make sure you get McCormick Deering without the IH logo. I have used the mylar decals but vinyl decals are available too. Mylar are one big decal with clear between the letters similar to the decals IH used. Vinyl is the letters only so you don't get the outline of the decal. 

Marty,NZ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Valiant Farmer said:

The engine runs well on low to 3/4 revs but on full revs (especially when going up an incline in a higher gear) if cuts-out/bogs. Would the issue be the magneto then? 

Could be. Could also be governor.

Does "runs well" mean sewing-machine-well, or Johnny-Popper-Harley-Davidson-well? You would not believe the number of people who think all old tractors should chuff and pop like the old green ones. "Listen to how powerful it sounds" as the Farmall M sputters and pops its way up a short hill, barely making it to the top...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Martin Thompson said:

 Unless you have the kerosene manifold, the small fuel tank ,radiator shutters , the carburetor with an adjustable main jet ,

20210723_083757.thumb.jpg.a3fa0000039964fdfa608a47000822ff.jpg

20210723_083851.thumb.jpg.c0daaf8ab6954b3a4a1575cc6a163a98.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Could be. Could also be governor.

Does "runs well" mean sewing-machine-well, or Johnny-Popper-Harley-Davidson-well? You would not believe the number of people who think all old tractors should chuff and pop like the old green ones. "Listen to how powerful it sounds" as the Farmall M sputters and pops its way up a short hill, barely making it to the top...

It runs smoothly on lower to medium revs (between my brother and I we have had around 50 tractors - So have a reasonable idea what a good tractor should sound like!) Not sure if I can do a recording and upload it on here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Valiant Farmer said:

It runs smoothly on lower to medium revs (between my brother and I we have had around 50 tractors - So have a reasonable idea what a good tractor should sound like!) Not sure if I can do a recording and upload it on here?

Just making sure. You never know.

You can link a youtube video if you have an account to upload the video to.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Valiant Farmer said:

20210723_083757.thumb.jpg.a3fa0000039964fdfa608a47000822ff.jpg

20210723_083851.thumb.jpg.c0daaf8ab6954b3a4a1575cc6a163a98.jpg

 

That is a gasoline manifold and carb. The distillate/kerosene carb has an adjustable main jet where your carb has the plug(Bottom of your carb facing the front of the tractor). The adjusting part of the main jet is available but unless you plan to run on kerosene and have all the rest of the attachments there is no need for it.

See the source image

IH used pistons of different heights to change compression. A kerosene/distillate engine has a lower compression than a gasoline engine but as most engines will have been rebuilt the pistons may have been changed to taller pistons to lift the compression. Mine goes good the way it is so have never looked any further to see if they have been changed or not.

If my Farmall A had been missing most of the distillate parts I would have made it a gasoline version, as there is not a lot of difference . I would have filled the extra hole in the hood and no one would notice any difference. There is no serial number record of the kerosene/distillate engines (that I know of) and unlike the bigger Farmalls no suffix stamped with the serial numbers. 

022.thumb.JPG.463886935d1f809ab58335fca72b6039.JPG

 

 

Marty,NZ

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The difference in engines was the pistons, the piston pin was in different distances from the top of the piston to give the different compression ratios.  The cylinder head was the same for all three fuels.  Different manifolds and carburetors and the kerosene/distillate tractors had shutters and temperature gauges though these were an option on gasoline tractors.  Today only high compression piston/sleeve sets seem to be available, so I do not think that my Super A would run well on kerosene and I would not do it either as now kerosene is about 4 times the price of petrol (gasoline) rather than 1/3 the pricewhen the tractor came to NZ in 1948.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 2:27 PM, Martin Thompson said:

Pre 1946 did not have the IH logo and the Deering name was dropped in 1949.

Marty is this the right set for my tractor? Thanks

image1.thumb.jpeg.28baa610db4fcccc7f6fe98a3d220b10.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Valiant Farmer said:

Marty is this the right set for my tractor? Thanks

image1.thumb.jpeg.28baa610db4fcccc7f6fe98a3d220b10.jpeg

Yes that's it. For some reason the set I have used did not have cultivision on the A decal. Most are listed as pre 1945.

Marty,NZ 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Martin Thompson said:

Yes that's it. For some reason the set I have used did not have cultivision on the A decal. Most are listed as pre 1945.

Marty,NZ 

My A is a 46; and the original decals said McCormick Deering Farmall and had no cultuvision on the A . I got the only decals I found in '90 when I painted it. It needs to be done again and I will get the correct vinyl cut ones this time

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems that it was a bit of a lottery whether the tractor had the plain A symbol or the A Cultivision symbol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...